Windows 10: How to move files from one folder to another folder

Discus and support How to move files from one folder to another folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Everytime I get a download I unzip the folder and would like to move it to the desktop, but I always get the message cant move file cause its being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Crochet02, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Crochet02 Win User

How to move files from one folder to another folder

Everytime I get a download I unzip the folder and would like to move it to the desktop, but I always get the message cant move file cause its being used by another program, I don't have any other programs open, plus the drop and drag feature does not always work either. Some times the dnd will work and then it wont work, I have tried the copy the file and paste it to the desktop and the copy and paste don't work because its being used by another program, which I don't have anything open at the time. Is there a cure for this or am I stuck with this feature - not able to move files from a folder to another one and the desktop, Crochet

:)

Crochet02, Aug 22, 2016
  2. Manon B. Win User

Unable to move music from one folder to another

Hello Field Commander A9,

Thank you for your reply.

Please try to transfer the files from your phone to your PC, and then back from your pc to your new phone's folder you want them in.

In any case, if the error message comes up on your computer, you will have to contact the Windows support.

Kind regards,

Manon B., Aug 22, 2016
  3. Manon B. Win User
    Unable to move music from one folder to another

Hello Field Commander A9,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you can't move music from one folder to another as your phone is saying there is not enough space.

To move the music, your phone might actually need a little bit if space. Try to free some space by deleting the temporary files in settings > storage sense > phone > temporary files > delete.

Is it working if you move the files from your pc, by plugging the phone ?

Kind regards,

Manon B., Aug 22, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Are you using some third party program like WinZip, WinRar, 7zip etc. ?
    Are you trying to move them folder to folder or straight from the browser ?

CountMike, Aug 22, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    When you Unzip the file, it is in use. So, you can't move it unless you extract the archive or close the Zipped file. Once you unzip a file, then Extract the contents to the location you want. The location will have the contents of the zipped file, and the Zip file will still be in your download location.

spunk, Aug 22, 2016
  6. Crochet02 Win User
    I only use the extractor that comes with windows. I can unzip the file, cant move it, I close it out, go back to the extracted file to move the contents to the desktop and says being used by another program, I don't have any other programs open. I can restart the machine and it will move, then I go to the next folder to unzip and I start all over with that again, not able to move the contents out of the folder. crochet

Crochet02, Aug 24, 2016
  7. spunk Win User
    • To unzip a single file or folder, open the zipped folder, then drag the file or folder from inside the zipped folder to a new location, or copy and paste
    • To unzip all the contents of the zipped folder, press and hold (or right-click) the folder, select Extract All, and then follow the instructions. and choose the location of where you want to save the extracted files. Or click Extract All from the toolbar in the Zipped folder, choose the location where you want to save the contents of the Zipped file.

spunk, Aug 25, 2016
  8. Crochet02 Win User

I have tried that, it wont let me move the contents out of folder to another location, I tried it with right click mouse plus esc and copy and paste still get the message saying its used by another program. I have tried, it does not work.

Crochet02, Aug 30, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    Just download and use something like 7Zip program Download open zip file with it and it should let you extract them anywhere. Moving a file, either itself or from an archive means that original will be deleted and only that can be stopped buy file being in use.

CountMike, Aug 30, 2016
  10. PiKo Win User
    See in Task Manager which programme is running and prevents movement.

11. Crochet02 Win User
    I have 7zip and rarely use it and still have the same problem.

How to find out if another program in task manager is interfering with movement?

Crochet02, Apr 5, 2018
  12. Mendez New Member
    Still looking, thanks.

Mendez, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

1. How to move files from one folder to another folder - Similar Threads - move files folder

2. Moving Documents folder from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving Documents folder from one drive to another: Hi,My Documents folder in located on D Drive right now but I would like to move it back onto C drive hard drive. What's the safest way to do it without losing files?...
  3. Moving over 1000 files from one folder(over5000 files init) to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving over 1000 files from one folder(over5000 files init) to another: Hello, I am looking for some file management software that lets me move TON of files from one folder to another with out me selecting each of the files I want to move. I have a folder with thousands of files in it and I know the file names for each file I want to move. But...
  4. Adobe Files moved from download folder to another folder cannot open

in Windows 10 Support
    Adobe Files moved from download folder to another folder cannot open: Hi Everyone, I have a problem with Adobe Files moved from the download folder to another folder on C drive then cannot be opened and become corrupted. 1 - Sometimes the pdf file does not save file extension *.pdf in new folder & requires "open with" Adobe acrobat. 2 -...
  5. Moving Images from one folder to another folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Images from one folder to another folder: Hi This is a process I have done for years with no difficulties, but now issues are arising. I have 2 folders which are called folder A and Folder B. In both folders there are a number of images, some which will have the same file name, ie img_2408.jpg. I open 2 windows and...
  6. How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive: A tech guy loaded some files from my Win7 to my new Win10 home. He also put my old Pictures, Documents folders in the following path: c:\Users\(name)\One Drive\ ..... We don't want or will ever use OneDrive. More importantly Acronis won't back up anything on OneDrive when...
  7. How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move folders from OneDrive to another folder in the c: drive: A tech guy loaded some files from my Win7 to my new Win10 home. He also put my old Pictures, Documents folders in the following path: c:\Users\(name)\One Drive\ ..... We don't want or will ever use OneDrive. More importantly Acronis won't back up anything on OneDrive when...
  8. Software to move thousands of files from many folders to one folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Software to move thousands of files from many folders to one folder: Hi, I am new to forum and not the most tech savvy. Here's what I need to do: I have 10 folders with 19,000 .JSON and .JPG files. Ideally, I want to select all 10 folders and just move or copy the .JSON files to one folder but not the any of the other file extensions. Is...
  9. Moving pictures from one folder to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving pictures from one folder to another: How do you open 2 folders side by side so you can drag and drop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-pictures-from-one-folder-to-another/2ea83dc2-e384-4573-90fa-cc81f140d97a"
  10. Problems with moving files from one folder to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems with moving files from one folder to another: Hi! I can't seem to transfer files from one folder to another. It always shows acces denied. It has been doing it for a while and I can't seem to make it right. Also, if you knew how I can change the language on my computer? (from french to english) Nothing seems to be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to move files from folder to folder in a windowsphone