Windows 10: How to move folders/files from SDD My PC C: Drive to HDD D: Drive .....

Discus and support How to move folders/files from SDD My PC C: Drive to HDD D: Drive ..... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I understand the basics of clicking the location tab to move folders from C: drive to D: drive, but my question is about the path name.For example:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DeeDeeRT, May 22, 2021.

1. DeeDeeRT Win User

How to move folders/files from SDD My PC C: Drive to HDD D: Drive .....

I understand the basics of clicking the location tab to move folders from C: drive to D: drive, but my question is about the path name.For example: My DOCUMENTS folder on MY PC C: drive location reads as "C: \ Users\ my name" and subfolders "C: \ Users\ my name\ documents" and so on.If I MOVE My DOCUME

:)

DeeDeeRT, May 22, 2021
  2. MarkDMT Win User

Can I move Program Files folder (and x86 folder) from C: (SDD) to D: (HDD) drive?

Dear Microsoft Community,

I have recently purchased a HP laptop with Windows 10 (build 1809). The machine came with a 1Tb HDD. I purchased and installed a 250Gb Solid State Drive and reinstalled Windows on this drive. I now have the SSD as drive C: and the HDD as D:.

My goal is to improve Boot speeds (currently at 17 seconds).

The idea would be to have all media stored on the 1Tb HDD, like photos, music, videos, downloads, games etc, and have just have the Windows operating system on SDD. Is this recommended?

I have already changed the location of Users folders to the HDD (Music, Desktop, Downloads, Videos, Documents, Saved Games). I wonder if it would be possible to also migrate the Programs Files folders to the HDD.

EaseUS software advises that: "the ideal way to make use of an SSD is not to put many large personal data files or install programs on it except for the critical system files because the massive data
    will affect its read/write speed".

AOMEI software instructs on how to change the Program Files folder path (From C: to DHow to move folders/files from SDD My PC C: Drive to HDD D: Drive ..... :) by editing the Registry.

I have read from other sources, however, that the Programs Files folders are linked to the operating system and changing their location could mess things up. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this issue.

MarkD

PS: I was also playing around the the Boot options when I installed the SDD and I am not sure what the original configuration was, or the best, for boot speeds. I currently have USB Boot, Legacy and Secure Boot all disabled.

MarkDMT, May 22, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    C drive full, D drive empty

Hi Sonia,

You will not be able to extend your C drive into your D drive as they are 2 physically separate drives inside your PC, they are not partitions on the same drive . . .

You have a 265GB SSD and a 3TB HDD on your system . . .

What you can do to gain more space on your C drive is, move all your data to your D Drive

Open Windows File Explorer

In the right hand pane, right click your Documents Library folder,choose Properties

On the resulting dialog, click the Location Tab

In the Location box, type D:\Documents

Click Apply and OK and confirm the move

When that move completes, you should do the same for all your other library folders (Pictures, Videos . . etc.) with the exception of your Desktop folder

Please remember for each library folder, specify a different folder, for example, Pictures will go to D:\Pictures and so on . . .

DaveM121, May 22, 2021
  4. Tryx3 Win User

Moving 'Temp' files folder from my C drive to my D drive

Bob,

The configuration of your computer is not unusual - I deliberately use the same configuration for all my computers.

If, as I expect, your C drive is full because of your own files in C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents etc ** then you can "relocate" these user folders to the D drive. See

Relocating user folders in Windows 7 and Windows 10
    This is a perfectly normal procedure and is a lot simpler than altering partitions. Relocating your user folders will reduce your C drive usage to about 40GB or less.

** Where you use such facilities as the File explorer, This PC, Documents entry or Libraries you are in fact making use of hidden shortcuts to the folders in C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents etc - it is this path that your own files are actually
    stored in by default {until you "relocate" them to a folder of your own choosing on your HDD}.

Keeping the split between C & D drives can be very useful for backing up - C drive is your system drive and D drive is your own collection of files. You can use

System images for your system drive
    and straightforward file backups for your own files.

Denis

Tryx3, May 22, 2021
Thema:

1. How to move folders/files from SDD My PC C: Drive to HDD D: Drive ..... - Similar Threads - move folders files

2. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  3. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  4. MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE: I've been trying to move my folders from C drive to D drive to free up space but its telling me the folder can't be moved here as there is a folder in the same location even when i delete said folder from D drive.Any suggestions as to what i'm doing wrong please...
  5. MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE: I've been trying to move my folders from C drive to D drive to free up space but its telling me the folder can't be moved here as there is a folder in the same location even when i delete said folder from D drive.Any suggestions as to what i'm doing wrong please...
  6. MOVING FILES FROM C TO D DRIVE

7. Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.

Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.: I tried moving my Microsoft game apps to my much larger D drive, using the instructions that were recommended: [ATTACH] They stayed on drive C, but they did show up here on D: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] How do I open these in D, delete the ones in C, but still have icons on the...
  8. How to move pictures from the C drive to the D drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to move pictures from the C drive to the D drive?: I have folders with a bunch of pictures and I want to move them to the D drive because there is more space there. How to do that? Also is there a way to set the D drive as the default drive so pictures saved will automatically go there? submitted by /u/jayx468 [link]...
  9. How to move Folders from C drive to D Drive (Windows 10)?

How to move Folders from C drive to D Drive (Windows 10)?: Hi, I am new to windows, have used MacOS since the early 90’s. This is probably a simple question but my C drive 100GB & the D drive is 142GB. The OS has used 43.3 GB, so I would just like to move folders such as documents, music, downloads etc to the larger D drive. Or is it...
  10. Can I move Program Files folder (and x86 folder) from C: (SDD) to D: (HDD) drive?

Can I move Program Files folder (and x86 folder) from C: (SDD) to D: (HDD) drive?: Dear Microsoft Community, I have recently purchased a HP laptop with Windows 10 (build 1809). The machine came with a 1Tb HDD. I purchased and installed a 250Gb Solid State Drive and reinstalled Windows on this drive. I now have the SSD as drive C: and the HDD as D:. My...