Windows 10: How to move just Windows from a bigger drive with files to a smaller drive

Discus and support How to move just Windows from a bigger drive with files to a smaller drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I just got a 128gb NVMe SSD and I was wanting to make it into my boot drive but the problem is that I have a 2tb SATA SSD that is my current boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gforcefratzke, Sep 28, 2019.

1. How to move just Windows from a bigger drive with files to a smaller drive

Hi, I just got a 128gb NVMe SSD and I was wanting to make it into my boot drive but the problem is that I have a 2tb SATA SSD that is my current boot drive and I don't know how I can move just Windows over. I have seen on some places that you should clone the drive to the new SSD but that won't work for me. I have also seen that you should move all of your files on to other drive and format the drive and move everything back, but that won't work for me either. Is there any way that I could just create a new install of Windows on the new drive and delete the old or anything else? Any help is appreciated.

:)

gforcefratzke, Sep 28, 2019
  2. little cat, Sep 28, 2019
  3. Drone Win User
    Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, Sep 28, 2019
  4. How to move just Windows from a bigger drive with files to a smaller drive

Recover files from Flash drive

Does not work on a windows pc which is what the OP probably intended

windows by default does not have HFS and HFS+ based hard drives.
    Able to perform retrieval on both HFS and HFS+ based hard drives. and so will not work with windows

thanks for the effort

dorsetknob, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

How to move just Windows from a bigger drive with files to a smaller drive

1. How to move just Windows from a bigger drive with files to a smaller drive - Similar Threads - move bigger drive

2. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  3. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  4. Moving files from one drive to an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files from one drive to an external drive: I'd like instructions as how to move files from one drive to an external hard drive? I have several files and need to get them out of one drive because some of my files won't open in some of my software if they're in the cloud....
  5. Moving files from one drive to an external drive

Moving files from one drive to an external drive: I'd like instructions as how to move files from one drive to an external hard drive? I have several files and need to get them out of one drive because some of my files won't open in some of my software if they're in the cloud....
  6. Move files from one drive to another not just duplicate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move files from one drive to another not just duplicate: Hello!I have it set up so my downloads folder and desktop folder are in different drives so when I download something and move it by dragging it to my desktop then it creates a replica of it to my desktop leaving the original one to the downloads folder. Yes, I am aware of...
  7. Move files from one drive to another not just duplicate

Move files from one drive to another not just duplicate: Hello!I have it set up so my downloads folder and desktop folder are in different drives so when I download something and move it by dragging it to my desktop then it creates a replica of it to my desktop leaving the original one to the downloads folder. Yes, I am aware of...
  8. Move files from one drive to another not just duplicate

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Moving W10 to a smaller drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving W10 to a smaller drive: I just purchased a Refurbished Dell from a MS Authorized Refurbisher via Amazon. It arrived with W10 on a 2t 3.5" HDD. I intend to install 2 additional 2t "Data Drives" in a raid 1 Mirrored config.To make room I want to clone the current 2T boot drive to a 500 gig 2.5" HDD....
  10. Files moved from C: drive to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files moved from C: drive to external drive: H! My 13-year-old decided to make space on the computer by dragging files from the c: drive to an external drive. Now all the file paths are messed up. I don't know what he moved from where exactly and I don't want to just drag things back and make things worse. We are not...