Windows 10: How to move OS from HD to SSD ?

Discus and support How to move OS from HD to SSD ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So i have about a 100 gb ssd. its connected to a different sata than the hard drive windows 10 is installed. How do i get just the OS to run from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Iseetrees1982, Mar 1, 2020.

1. How to move OS from HD to SSD ?

So i have about a 100 gb ssd. its connected to a different sata than the hard drive windows 10 is installed.

How do i get just the OS to run from that ssd ? I want to use the hard drive just for software and different files as storage.

Im getting a new ssd i want to use just for software and games.

:)

Iseetrees1982, Mar 1, 2020
  2. ProxCor3 Win User

Reformatting SSD and not HD

Hello there!

I have an MSI Laptop with a 128gb SSD and a 500gb HD.

I have windows installed on my SSD and personal files on my HD. But now my SSD is almost full i wish to format it / reinstall windows 10 on it for a fresh start, but without losing the data on my HD.

I have been using Mac OSX for the past ten and am very out of touch of windows.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this would be awesome.

Many thanks.

Alex

ProxCor3, Mar 1, 2020
  3. GNJha Win User
    Installing and configuring SSD with HD

Hi,

My Desktop Computer specifications are as following:

Processor: AMD FX 8320, Motherboard: Asus M5A97,
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 16 GB (8*2), HD: 1TB WD Black,
    Graphics Card: 2GB Saphire 5450, SMPS: Cooler Master 650W,

For faster operation with multiple VMs, Nested VMs and other jobs, I am planning for using WD GREEN PC SSD 160GB with 1TB WD Black.

Currently computer is working fine with WD Black. Along with Windows 10 64-bit, all applications and VMs are installed in WD Black.

Before installing and configuring SSD with HD, please guide me as per my followings strategies;

• First of all I would like make SSD as a Primary Drive so that I can install Windows 10 64-bit, all applications (MS Office and other applications) and VMs in SSD only.
    • I would like to make WD Black as a Secondary Drive.
    • In case of any issues with SSD or as an optional, I would like to boot system with WD Black also so that I can do work in WD Black.

Please guide me as per above scenarios.

Regards

InTech

GNJha, Mar 1, 2020
  4. techguy31 Win User

How to move OS from HD to SSD ?

64Gb SSD for OS or 2Tb HDD for storage ?!

I suggest that you get the 2tb for storage. SSDs are only useful if you want to boot things fast like OS and programs. I actually suggest you get both if you have that many movies.

techguy31, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

How to move OS from HD to SSD ?

1. How to move OS from HD to SSD ? - Similar Threads - move SSD

2. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd: So my key came from upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I didn't realize I had not linked my account and of course didn't stop to check. I move my ssd from my old computer to my new one and it brought up activating it and i found out that i had not linked it to my...
  3. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd: So my key came from upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I didn't realize I had not linked my account and of course didn't stop to check. I move my ssd from my old computer to my new one and it brought up activating it and i found out that i had not linked it to my...
  4. I built a new pc and didn't have my digital key linked when i move my ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do i move a old windows to a external SSD: How do i move a old windows to a external SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-a-old-windows-to-a-external-ssd/86f5cb8f-03a2-4ffc-bf9f-9e2e29678a40
  6. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i move a old windows to a external SSD: How do i move a old windows to a external SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-a-old-windows-to-a-external-ssd/86f5cb8f-03a2-4ffc-bf9f-9e2e29678a40
  7. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

8. SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC: I am trying to move contents from an old PC with windows 10 to a new PC with windows 11. What I've done is connect a new SSD to the old PC so I can directly copy all of the files. The operation appears to finish without any issues. And when I right click properties of the...
  9. SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC: I am trying to move contents from an old PC with windows 10 to a new PC with windows 11. What I've done is connect a new SSD to the old PC so I can directly copy all of the files. The operation appears to finish without any issues. And when I right click properties of the...
  10. SSD contents mostly empty when moved to new PC