Windows 10: How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions

Discus and support How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I need to move "sparse" files from one disk to another. Both ntfs obviously. I want the size occupied on the target disk to be the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by einstein1969, Jul 23, 2020.

1. How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions

Hi everyone,

I need to move "sparse" files from one disk to another. Both ntfs obviously.

I want the size occupied on the target disk to be the same as the source disk. So not the final dimension but the "sparse" dimension.

How can I solve it?

EDIT: I would like to make a script to move only files from a certain maximum size down.

:)

einstein1969, Jul 23, 2020

2. How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions

Hi everyone,

I need to move "sparse" files from one disk to another. Both ntfs obviously.

I want the size occupied on the target disk to be the same as the source disk. So not the final dimension but the "sparse" dimension.

How can I solve it?

EDIT: I would like to make a script to move only files from a certain maximum size down.

einstein1969, Aug 4, 2020
  3. How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions

@einstein1969,

Unless I'm way off base, my understanding is that if you copy or move a sparse file from one NTFS volume to another NTFS volume, the sparse file will remain a sparse file. Have you actually tried this as a test to see if that is the case?

hsehestedt, Aug 4, 2020
  4. How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions

How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions

I have tried dos command "move", "robocopy", "CS.exe" command . Nothing of this work.

This is the script that have made for my "emule" .part file sparse.

Code:
    But not work. It mark a file sparse but after move.

einstein1969, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions

1. How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions - Similar Threads - move sparse file

2. Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...: Hi,Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K screens with double resolution? Such a waste of space, and an obvious bug. Microsoft, please fix. Thank you.File Explorer screenshot:Configuration:...
  3. Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...: Hi,Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K screens with double resolution? Such a waste of space, and an obvious bug. Microsoft, please fix. Thank you.File Explorer screenshot:Configuration:...
  4. Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Searching for image files by dimensions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Searching for image files by dimensions: I want to use the search bar in file explorer to search for image files by dimensions. I’d like to search for, say for example, to search for all image files that are 500 x 500 and under. I know I can search for individual dimensions by typing them into the search bar but...
  6. Searching for image files by dimensions

Searching for image files by dimensions: I want to use the search bar in file explorer to search for image files by dimensions. I’d like to search for, say for example, to search for all image files that are 500 x 500 and under. I know I can search for individual dimensions by typing them into the search bar but...
  7. Huge amount of "correcting sparse file record segment" during chkdsk

in Windows 10 Support
    Huge amount of "correcting sparse file record segment" during chkdsk: Windows 10 System Google has given me nothing, nearly all the results are from people who were posting a log and it had other errors that were flat-out read failures of a dying drive...... or they were results about MYSQL, which I don't use (at least not manually). I had...
  8. Got a huge amount of "correcting sparse file record segment" during chkdsk of a RAID...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Got a huge amount of "correcting sparse file record segment" during chkdsk of a RAID...: Windows 10 System Google has given me nothing, nearly all the results are from people who were posting a log and it had other errors that were flat-out read failures of a dying drive...... or they were results about MYSQL, which I don't use at least not manually. I had just...
  9. Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...

Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K...: Hi, Why are large thumbnails in Win 10 file explorer so small and sparsely arranged on 4K screens with double resolution? Such a waste of space, and an obvious bug. Microsoft, please fix. Thank you. File Explorer screenshot: [ATTACH] Configuration: [ATTACH]...
  10. Is there an easy way to copy sparse files in Windows? Or a sync program that supports...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there an easy way to copy sparse files in Windows? Or a sync program that supports...: I need to move a directory full of sparse files and I can't find an easy or simple way. A sync program that supports sparse files maybe? Thanks. submitted by /u/angry_dingo [link] [comments]...