Windows 10: How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions

Discus and support How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I need to move "sparse" files from one disk to another. Both ntfs obviously. I want the size occupied on the target disk to be the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by einstein1969, Jul 23, 2020.

1. How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions

Hi everyone,

I need to move "sparse" files from one disk to another. Both ntfs obviously.

I want the size occupied on the target disk to be the same as the source disk. So not the final dimension but the "sparse" dimension.

How can I solve it?

EDIT: I would like to make a script to move only files from a certain maximum size down.

:)

einstein1969, Jul 23, 2020

2. How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions

Hi everyone,

I need to move "sparse" files from one disk to another. Both ntfs obviously.

I want the size occupied on the target disk to be the same as the source disk. So not the final dimension but the "sparse" dimension.

How can I solve it?

EDIT: I would like to make a script to move only files from a certain maximum size down.

einstein1969, Aug 4, 2020
  3. How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions

@einstein1969,

Unless I'm way off base, my understanding is that if you copy or move a sparse file from one NTFS volume to another NTFS volume, the sparse file will remain a sparse file. Have you actually tried this as a test to see if that is the case?

hsehestedt, Aug 4, 2020
  4. How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions

How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions

I have tried dos command "move", "robocopy", "CS.exe" command . Nothing of this work.

This is the script that have made for my "emule" .part file sparse.

Code:
    But not work. It mark a file sparse but after move.

einstein1969, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions

1. How to move sparse file maintening the real sparse dimensions - Similar Threads - move sparse file

2. Maintenance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Maintenance: Automatic Maintenance is up to ETA 160 +. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maintenance/bed72cf4-9661-46d5-b3e9-b638eee618a1
  3. Paint dimensions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Paint dimensions: Hello, I am having trouble copying pictures from word to paint without the picture shrinking in paint. I've already taken off the option for word to not compress my pictures and they still shrink and when I copy the picture back to word, it is in a smaller dimension, any help...
  4. What is Search Dimension and How to Remove it?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What is Search Dimension and How to Remove it?: [IMG]I don't know what this is [Original Title: Search Dimension] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/what-is-search-dimension-and-how-to-remove-it/83573592-f311-489e-a5ec-2fc6864748f3
  5. Search Dimension

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Search Dimension: [IMG]I don't know what this is https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/search-dimension/83573592-f311-489e-a5ec-2fc6864748f3
  6. System and file maintenence

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System and file maintenence: I am usin Version 19555 I don't see much anymore about file and system maitenence so my question is basically is defrag and etc gone or have I missed something Thanks 150024
  7. How To Move Folders And Files?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Move Folders And Files?: i want to move some folders and files, some of the folders contain applications, how do i do this and have the registry account for these moves? way back in the day there was a free program called folder mover or the like which, when you used it to move folders or files,...
  8. Icons' dimension issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons' dimension issue: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Bradimarte [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e32g98/icons_dimension_issue/
  9. How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?

How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?: The Windows 8.1 method is not working... I cannot find "Idle Maintenance" under TaskScheduler anymore!!! 63833
  10. How to disable automatic maintenance?

How to disable automatic maintenance?: I want to disable automatic maintenance because my new SSD is arriving soon, and since SSDs have a limited life span, I want to preserve them as much as possible. ( I know modern SSDs can last a loooooooooong time, I just want to be super careful with mine. *Smile)...