Windows 10: How to move the whole Windows from one internal disk to another?

Discus and support How to move the whole Windows from one internal disk to another? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just bought a Lenovo ThinkPad E585 laptop with Windows 10 Pro preinstalled on the internal NVMe SSD (256 GB). I added a new SATA3 SSD (512 GB), and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Pietro_M, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Pietro_M Win User

How to move the whole Windows from one internal disk to another?

I just bought a Lenovo ThinkPad E585 laptop with Windows 10 Pro preinstalled on the internal NVMe SSD (256 GB).

I added a new SATA3 SSD (512 GB), and I need to move the whole Windows OS to this drive.

I have the original Windows license key.

How can I do it?

- Should I make a physical copy of the whole OS to the new disk? (Already tried, but I cannot boot from it)

- Should I download a free new copy of Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft, and install it using my original license key?

- Any other option?

Thank you.

:)

Pietro_M, Jun 9, 2019

2. Disk Management

Hi Keith,

Thanks for providing the detail that was requested previously. Since the disk management screen that you saw is showing greyed out options, we suggest that you follow the steps below to change the partition type of your internal drive:

• Open Disk Management then right click the partition on the disk you want to covert and select Delete Volume.
    • Once you complete the process you will see the whole disk shown as two separate unallocated spaces. Right-click the disk and select Convert to GPT disk.

After the conversion, you will be able to use the whole disk and then you can create new separate partitions.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Jun 9, 2019
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jun 9, 2019
  4. How to move the whole Windows from one internal disk to another?

Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue How to move the whole Windows from one internal disk to another? :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

How to move the whole Windows from one internal disk to another?

1. How to move the whole Windows from one internal disk to another? - Similar Threads - move whole internal

2. Moving Windows Licence from Another disk.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows Licence from Another disk.: Hello. I bought a new PC without any system. I wanted to move my old system to new computer but I couldn't. My new computer refused to start the system on the older disk so I decided to make a manual instalation on it. I've installed the system from a pendrive and then it...
  3. Moving Windows Licence from Another disk.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows Licence from Another disk.: Hello. I bought a new PC without any system. I wanted to move my old system to new computer but I couldn't. My new computer refused to start the system on the older disk so I decided to make a manual instalation on it. I've installed the system from a pendrive and then it...
  4. Moving Windows Licence from Another disk.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  6. Move Windows From One Drive To Another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Windows From One Drive To Another: I have three drives C,D & E. I want to move windows and do a clean install from C to E, but keep the files that are on D. The main reason is that C is tiny and out of space and E is faster and much larger. I don't care about preferences and applications being lost as I have...
  7. How to move programs from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to move programs from one PC to another: Hi All, IT newb here. I have two identical hardware-wise PCs that I need to setup for two people. I've setup all the programs in Computer A. My question is, what would be the best way to transfer all the programs/settings from Computer A to Computer B without losing...
  8. How to move an app from a user to another one

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to move an app from a user to another one: Hi, I created a new user for me on the same laptop my mom uses. I play Township (a game app) on her user and I want to transfer it to my personal user. Any idea how to do it? submitted by /u/Retrograde-Motion [link] [comments]...
  9. Moving the System partition from one disk to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving the System partition from one disk to another: Hello everybody, I'm having an issue with the setup of my Windows 10 computer. I'm pretty lost right now. A few months ago, I've installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 in disk 0 (SSD). Because I had several work files, during installation I've maintained an old disk also...
  10. Moving System Disk From One MoBo to Another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving System Disk From One MoBo to Another: Hey folks - Yes, I know this is a silly idea, but bear with me please. My current system is an Asus X99-based Rampage V Extreme board, which I'm about to replace. I was fortunate enough to squeak one of NewEgg's latest shipments of the Asus Rampage VI Extreme, so that's...