Windows 10: How to move/transfer my win10 pro licence to a new machine

Discus and support How to move/transfer my win10 pro licence to a new machine in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My HTPC fan broke the other day. Machine overheated. Unable to fix so need to buy a new PC. The HTPC had Win10 pro installed via upgrade from Win8 some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by CJ2603, May 31, 2020.

1. CJ2603 Win User

How to move/transfer my win10 pro licence to a new machine

My HTPC fan broke the other day. Machine overheated. Unable to fix so need to buy a new PC. The HTPC had Win10 pro installed via upgrade from Win8 some years ago. Is it possible to transfer licence to new PC? Thx

:)

CJ2603, May 31, 2020

2. Win10 licence transfer

I have a retail licence for win10 Pro on an old machine (that is obsolete and no longer used) and I would like a clear step by step guide as to how I can transfer this to a new machine that is currently running win10 home. I've tried upgrading with a win8.1
    retail key but that did not work. Contacting the local Microsoft helpline did not help either as apparently "this is no longer possible" despite the fact it is in the EULA.

Anyone know how to do this?

EscargotBrit, May 31, 2020
  3. kevvyb Win User
    Successful transfer of Win10 Pro digital licence

Hi I would put it this way from what I have learned:
    If you have a windows 7 (or presumably, 8 or 8.1) RETAIL channel licence (i.e. you had the discs and were previously able to install on new machines as you needed - uninstalling any others so that there was only one copy in use) then yes.

I had upgraded my old Win7 pro licence to Win10 Pro using the free upgrade offer from MS last year.

Now I want to use win10 pro on the new machine (which comes with Win10 Home) but I only have a digital win10 pro licence on the old machine (plus my old Win7 Pro licence).

The digital licence to win10 pro can apparently be 'transferred' to the new machine. I haven't done this yet but I am told this is effected by using a MSA (Microsoft account) and being logged into that account on both machines.

You then use the activation troubleshooter to select the licence on the old machine or alternatively performing a plain upgrade on the new machine and either entering the original win7 pro key or calling MS to activate over the telephone.

We'll see if it works. I'll post back.

kevvyb, May 31, 2020
  4. kevvyb Win User

Successful transfer of Win10 Pro digital licence

So this worked. Signed into MS on both machines, clicked change licence. After having to verify my identity on both machines, upgrade proceeded. I used my win7 pro retail key to install. When I checked the digital licence had been activated on the new machine.

Only issue was that I thought that the upgrade process had got stuck when it displayed the 'egg timer' with message 100% completed for about 45 minutes, before proceeding to update the machine to pro.

After the upgrade on new machine (digital licence transfer) I deactivated Win10 Pro on the old machine until I wipe it completely.

kevvyb, May 31, 2020
Thema:

1. How to move/transfer my win10 pro licence to a new machine - Similar Threads - move transfer win10

2. Can I transfer my Pro licence to my new computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I transfer my Pro licence to my new computer?: I have bought a new computer with pre-installed Windows 11 Home, directly from Acer. My old computer HP does not work anymore, but it was running a pre-installed Windows 10 Pro. Both the old and the new computer are registered in my Microsoft account. Can I transfer the Pro...
  3. how to transfer win10 licence to different machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to transfer win10 licence to different machine: I was running a perfectly fine Windows 10 on a perfectly fine Asus motherboard which, unfortunately was win11 capable.MS then virtually forced me into an unwanted windows 11 'upgrade'. The short 7 x 14Hr days story is that the OK computer ceased to work. I happened to have a...
  4. how to transfer win10 licence to different machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to transfer win10 licence to different machine: I was running a perfectly fine Windows 10 on a perfectly fine Asus motherboard which, unfortunately was win11 capable.MS then virtually forced me into an unwanted windows 11 'upgrade'. The short 7 x 14Hr days story is that the OK computer ceased to work. I happened to have a...
  5. how to transfer win10 licence to different machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to transfer win10 pro licensing to a new device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to transfer win10 pro licensing to a new device: I have upgraded Windows 10 home to pro on my loptop by windows store Windows Apps - Microsoft Store. I want to transfer the win10 pro upgrading licensing to my desktop. Any one know how to do that?Thank you....
  7. How to transfer win10 pro licensing to a new device

How to transfer win10 pro licensing to a new device: I have upgraded Windows 10 home to pro on my loptop by windows store. I want to transfer the win10 pro upgrading licensing to my desktop. Any one know how to do that?Thank you....
  8. How to transfer win10 pro licensing to a new device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer win10 pro licensing to a new device: I have upgraded Windows 10 home to pro on my loptop by windows store. I want to transfer the win10 pro upgrading licensing to my desktop. Any one know how to do that?Thank you....
  9. Win10 digital licence transfer to a new pc...POSSIBLE???

Win10 digital licence transfer to a new pc...POSSIBLE???: Hi there! Could anyone help me out with this.... before i had win7 product and i got a free to win10 and i updrageded it, in my activation status it says that windows is digitally licenced to ur Microsoft account and i no where find my win7 product key...now the problem...
  10. Transfer licence to new motherboard Win10 Home AV

Transfer licence to new motherboard Win10 Home AV: Hello can you please tell me if it is possible to transfer my Windows 10 Home OEM (anniversary update) licence that i got by upgrading from Windows 8.1 Home OEM to a new PC, that is, i just want to upgrade my motherboard and cpu, ssd because of poor perfomance? Can I use the...