Windows 10: How to move window from HDD to SSD

Discus and support How to move window from HDD to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How to move window from HDD to SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Suni lMachhar, Feb 6, 2020.

1. How to move window from HDD to SSD

How to move window from HDD to SSD

:)

Suni lMachhar, Feb 6, 2020

2. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Feb 6, 2020
  3. Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Feb 6, 2020
  4. How to move window from HDD to SSD

External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to External SSD showing as HDD when connected to the PC using USB 3.0 port. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Have you tried connecting the SSD to any other PC?
    2. Are you using any converter to connect the SSD through USB 3.0 port?
    3. Are you using a RAID configuration?

I have researched on your query and found that the SSD that you are using is an internal SSD drive, in this case I would suggest you to try updating the Intel Rapid Storage drivers from the

intel website
    and see if that helps.

In addition, this issue can occur if the SSD is connected to a SATA controller that is identified as RAID (SCSI). I would suggest you to try connecting the SSD to a SATA port that uses AHCI controller such as Intel SATA controller/chipset.

Please get back to us with the detailed information to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

How to move window from HDD to SSD

1. How to move window from HDD to SSD - Similar Threads - move window HDD

2. Moving Windows from SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving Windows from SSD to HDD: Hi all!I am looking to upgrade my SSD where windows is installed. Ideally I want to transfer everything from the old SSD to the new SSD Both M.2. I would like to know If I can transfer windows to my HDD and back to my new SSD or if I need to do something else.I am not great...
  3. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  4. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  5. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, fairly new to this and recently bought an average 2.5 SSD to go in my PC, I want to move the windows installation to the SSD from my HDD but I'm having issues. I've tried wipng and cloning the drives, making a full image and trying to restore. My next option was to reset...
  9. Moving Windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving Windows from HDD to SSD: Hi everyone! I have bought my PC(came with both HDD and SSD) more than a year ago and my Windows on a DVD which I stupidly installed on my HDD(and waiting 10 min every time i wanted to turn it on), but for this whole time i didn't have my SSD storage available. Today tho i...
  10. Moving from HDD to SSD

Moving from HDD to SSD: Hello, I recently decided to buy a new 1TB SSD to “replace” my current and only HDD. I’ve been using my HDD for some time now and I wanted to make the SSD my windows 10 boot drive but I’m not sure how to do this. I wanted to make it a clean install so I can add my programs...