Windows 10: How to move Windows 10 from HDD to SSD with one SATA cable?

Discus and support How to move Windows 10 from HDD to SSD with one SATA cable? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a PC with one HDD that has everything, the Windows 10 OS, games, files, etc. And I have one SSD that I’d like to use instead. But the PC has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/esveegee, May 21, 2020.

1. How to move Windows 10 from HDD to SSD with one SATA cable?

I have a PC with one HDD that has everything, the Windows 10 OS, games, files, etc. And I have one SSD that I’d like to use instead.

But the PC has only one SATA power and data cable, meaning only one can be plugged at a time.

How can I move just the WIndows 10 OS (no games, files, etc.) from the HHD to the SSD?

Thank you in advance.

submitted by /u/esveegee
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/esveegee, May 21, 2020
  2. RPB57 Win User

SATA HDD recognised as SSD

Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the prescribed procedures mentioned on forums but to no effect. I'm pretty convinced that the problem lies
    in the fact I have installed a SSD in my machine. Windows is recognising the correct size of my SATA HDD however and the SSD isn't showing up quite rightly as its Linux formatted. Using a third party defragmentation program exactly the same problem occurs,
    however I was able to defragment my C drive using it as it just warned against it and didn't prohibit me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RPB57, May 21, 2020
  3. RPB57 Win User
    SATA HDD recognised as SSD

Just occurred to me. Could it be that the primary boot drive is the Linux SSD. I've got a feeling this could

be the problem. I'm not sure how to configure Windows 10 to boot from the SATA HDD. I will try reinstalling the drivers and look into the BIOS but would appreciate your take on my suggestion.

RPB57, May 21, 2020
  4. ShaneNT Win User

How to move Windows 10 from HDD to SSD with one SATA cable?

Sata to usb cable using my HDD on windows 10 is not recognized.

Hello, I bought a Sata to usb cable today, when i plug in my old SSD it comes up straight away. When I use it on my older HDD, it comes up as "no media" in disk management. I know it is working for sure because it was working in my old computer that was
    running windows 7. My SSD was running windows 7 too.

Would plugging it straight into my motherboard with sata cables be any different? I'm asking this because I am not home right now and was just wondering.

ShaneNT, May 21, 2020
Thema:

How to move Windows 10 from HDD to SSD with one SATA cable?

1. How to move Windows 10 from HDD to SSD with one SATA cable? - Similar Threads - move HDD SSD

2. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  3. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

Moving windows from HDD to SSD: Hi, I bought a new SSD and I want to move windows from my old HDD, the problem is that my HDD where windows is installed has more storage than the SSD and is also full ie. 1.7TB/2TB whereas my SSD has 250GB. I want to know how I can move windows in my situation. Thanks in...
  4. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Moving windows from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Moving Windows 10 to an SSD from HDD

Moving Windows 10 to an SSD from HDD: So I'm upgrading my current PC replacing mobo, cpu, ram, and adding an m.2 ssd but I would like to transfer windows 10, and only windows 10 to the ssd to be the boot drive and game storage device while keeping the hdd and what's on it intact, what would be the best way to go...
  8. Transfer OS to SATA SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Transfer OS to SATA SSD from HDD: Hello everyone, I have old PC with system configuration as below: Processor-Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz RAM:2GB MotherBoard:Asus P5kpl-am/ps HDD:WD 512GB No Graphics Card,Intel stock cooler. Recnetly I have upgraded the PC from windows 7 professional 32bit to...
  9. How to move window from HDD to SSD

How to move window from HDD to SSD: How to move window from HDD to SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-window-from-hdd-to-ssd/e943886a-a104-4826-95b3-1ccda93b1107
  10. Moving from HDD to SSD

Moving from HDD to SSD: Hello, I recently decided to buy a new 1TB SSD to “replace” my current and only HDD. I’ve been using my HDD for some time now and I wanted to make the SSD my windows 10 boot drive but I’m not sure how to do this. I wanted to make it a clean install so I can add my programs...