Windows 10: How to move Windows 10 MSR partition

Discus and support How to move Windows 10 MSR partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Chuwi dual boot tablet I upgraded to Win 10 Pro 1709 that fails to upgrade to 1803 - not enough room. Online at Chuwi I found directions to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rafisher1, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Rafisher1 Win User

How to move Windows 10 MSR partition

I have a Chuwi dual boot tablet I upgraded to Win 10 Pro 1709 that fails to upgrade to 1803 - not enough room. Online at Chuwi I found directions to successfully remove the android install and freed up 10.65 GB, but it is now before the Win 10 MSR partition that I can't move using Partition Wizard to get the free space next to the C:\ drive.

Is there a workaround?

:)

Rafisher1, Oct 19, 2018

2. Expanding EFI partition and moving MSR partition.

I would like to install Mac Os on this device. However I am limited by the size of the EFI partition. Mac Os requires at least 200mb. I have only 100mb. So I resized the Windows partition to leave 100mb unallocated. However I can't extend the EFI partition
    because there is a MSR partition in the way. https://puu.sh/rFbsz/e52c847706.png

I know both the EFI and MSR partition and very much required partitions for proper functioning and it is better to not mess with it. But I have to get the EFI to 200mb. So how to move the MSR partition. I am pretty familiar with DISKPART or other GUI based
    partition managers.

https://puu.sh/rFbsz/e52c847706.png

Aadithye Nandakumar, Oct 19, 2018
  3. wyocoyote Win User
    Windows 10 install fail-can't be installed on the partition

AR

Arvind Ram replied on

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

You can resolve this error by creating a Microsoft Reserved Partition (MSR), however there are inherent risks involved when creating MSR partitions. If done improperly, it may cause the disk to become unreadable. If you
    do not feel comfortable following the steps for creating an MSR partition, you may wish to wait until the next build.

To create an MSR partition:

• 1.Open a command prompt as an administrator

• 2.Run diskpart.exe

• 3.Type the command: List Disk

• Note how many disks are listed, and then follow the steps listed in the appropriate section below.

If only 1 disk is shown:

• Type the command:

List volume

• Find the volume listed in the Info column as the Boot volume (typically the C drive) and note the number of the volume.

• Run these commands:

Select volume X (where X is the volume number noted in the previous step)

Shrink desired=50 minimum=40

Create partition msr

• To verify that the partition is created, run the command:

List partition

5. Then exit diskpart or close the command prompt.

If you have 2 or more disks, it gets more complicated. In order to make space for the MSR, we need to search Disk 0 for a partition that Diskpart is able to shrink:

• Type the commands:

• Select disk 0

• List partition

• Select partition 1

• Detail partition

• Within the details, look to see if this partition is Letter C and/or if it is an NTFS partition. If it is, proceed to Step 3 below to shrink the partition. If not, check the next partition:

• Select partition 2

• Detail partition

• And continue in this manner until you find that the partition you’ve selected is Letter C and/or NTFS.

• Type the commands:

• Shrink desired=50 minimum=40

• Create partition msr

• To verify that the partition is created, run the command:

• List partition

• Then exit diskpart or close the command prompt.

You can also verify that the partition is created by running Disk Management (by typing diskmgmt.msc into the Search box and pressing Enter). The MSR partition should appear at the end of the disk.

Hope this helps.

You found this helpful

• How to move Windows 10 MSR partition [​IMG]

WI

williamaher replied on

I did everything you said. Received this reply: "MSR and EFI partitions only supported on GPT disks Convert disk GPT and try again"
    Be the first person to mark this helpful

• How to move Windows 10 MSR partition [​IMG]

DA

DaMau replied on

I am having the exact same issues, both the original issue and subsequent issue following the directions to create the MSR partition.

wyocoyote, Oct 19, 2018
  4. How to move Windows 10 MSR partition

Oops I deleted the MSR partition, Will something go wrong?

So as the title suggests, I accidentally deleted the 128 mb MSR partition on my Windows 10 laptop,

I was trying to fix a partitioning problem that I had and saw the 128mb unlabelled partition on my partition software.

I didn't think that it could be the MSR partition and then I deleted it, I haven't noticed any problems as of yet but I am worried that as I have a uefi system I think it could break my laptop and I will lose all my stuff,

Please help my laptop is still new and I don't want to have to get a new one.

All replies appreciated

Thankyou

Prismatic Plasma, Oct 19, 2018
Thema:

How to move Windows 10 MSR partition

1. How to move Windows 10 MSR partition - Similar Threads - move MSR partition

2. Windows 10 is mounting and assigning a Drive Letter to the MSR partition I'm creating and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 is mounting and assigning a Drive Letter to the MSR partition I'm creating and...: Windows 10 is mounting and assigning a Drive Letter to the MSR partition I'm creating, and diskpart blocks me from making changes!How do I unmount and remove the drive letter from a MSR partition on removeable media. Because those 2 facts are triggering diskpart to block...
  3. Windows 10 is mounting and assigning a Drive Letter to the MSR partition I'm creating and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 is mounting and assigning a Drive Letter to the MSR partition I'm creating and...: Windows 10 is mounting and assigning a Drive Letter to the MSR partition I'm creating, and diskpart blocks me from making changes!How do I unmount and remove the drive letter from a MSR partition on removeable media. Because those 2 facts are triggering diskpart to block...
  4. Windows 10 is mounting and assigning a Drive Letter to the MSR partition I'm creating and...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Missing MSR partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing MSR partition: I have performed a new installation (with new motherboard, processor and SSD) of Windows 10 Professional (from an installation USB created today using the Download Tool on the Microsoft website). The installation appeared to go smoothly, but only the primary partition...
  6. Can I delete the MSR 128mb partition?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I delete the MSR 128mb partition?: The title says it all. In addition, I have 1903 but this partition is on my hard disk from ages. it is the Microsoft Reserved Partition, and it is exactly 128mb. Can I safely delete it? 134772
  7. Issues with MSR Partition

Issues with MSR Partition: Hi all, I'm trying to update Windows 10 (build 1809) to the latest build 18890 in 20H1. I'm getting errors stating that it can't write to the system reserved partition, which I am aware was deleted some time ago. I haven't had any problems with Windows until this. Attached...
  8. WHY MSR PARTITION IS CREATED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10

WHY MSR PARTITION IS CREATED WHILE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10: what is MSR partition? I visited Wikipedia website https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition , I seen 128MB will created for msr partition , but in my laptop I manually created 16MB . Now my question is , why Microsoft recommends create...
  9. How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition ?

How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition ?: How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition of a GPT partitioned disk ? display shown by a partition software; [img] After RE partition 128 MB unallocated partition is already prepared, as one can see its status is none How to set and specify it as...
  10. Need Help Restoring EFI and MSR Partitions

Need Help Restoring EFI and MSR Partitions: Hello, I think that for some reason, my EFI and MSR partitions were not located on my main Windows drive. When I installed linux mint on a separate drive, Windows refused to boot. I did the usual linux chain of debugging like boot-repair and update-grub but I don't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. MOVE msr PARTITION

2. msr and efi partitions are only supported on GPT disks

3. is it safe to move msr partition

4. how to move a partition windows 10,
  5. move partition windows 10 diskpart,
  6. move msr windows 10,
  7. windows 10 msr,
  8. how to move partitions in windows 10,
  9. how do you move a partition in windows 10,
  10. how much should windows msr for 2019,
  11. windows 10 move msr partition,