Windows 10: How to move Windows 10 to a new, secondary drive?

Discus and support How to move Windows 10 to a new, secondary drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey everyone, hope you're doing well. I wanted to ask how to move my current Windows 10 operating system to a new SSD I just got, but I'm very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/whirledwarotter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. How to move Windows 10 to a new, secondary drive?

Hey everyone, hope you're doing well.

I wanted to ask how to move my current Windows 10 operating system to a new SSD I just got, but I'm very confused by the internet results I get because they don't usually fall under the unique situation I'm in. Also sorry for the formatting since I'm using mobile.

1) I am planning on running my HDD (the one I'm using now in which my current Windows 10 is installed) along with my new SSD, both of which will be inside the computer case (connected internally). Most search results assume I'm going to be using the new drive and discarding the old one.

2) I want to only move my operating system into the new drive without migrating the whole thing. My HDD is 1TB in total size and only around 500GB short of being full and cannot migrate everything to the new SSD since I only hve a 500GB SSD. I'm mostly going to move my games into this new drive but that can wait until I've moved my OS.

3) I have read multiple times that the best shot is to use Windows Media Creation Tool to create an installer on a thumb drive then use that to install on the new drive. I'm willing to do this if this is the only way but I believe there are ways to migrate entire drive contents and systems to another drive and so I thought it's not hard to think that this can be true as well for select data in the drive/s.

If you guys know of any easy way, please do ask me and I'll respond and I'll try my best to follow! Thank you!

submitted by /u/whirledwarotter
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/whirledwarotter, Jan 11, 2021

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Jan 11, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 11, 2021
  4. Pavan_N Win User

How to move Windows 10 to a new, secondary drive?

apps not working on secondary drive

Hi Lomavista,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Do you get any error message?
    • Which apps are you referring to?

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Step 1: Install all app updates from Windows Store.

Check for updates for apps and games from Windows Store

Step 2: I suggest you to download and run the app troubleshooter from the below link and check if it helps.

Run the Windows App Troubleshooter

Do let us know if you are able to use all apps from secondary drive. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

How to move Windows 10 to a new, secondary drive?

1. How to move Windows 10 to a new, secondary drive? - Similar Threads - move secondary drive

2. Move windows to Secondary drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Move windows to Secondary drive: Hi All,I have a custom-built gaming PC. Originally, I had installed a SATA SSD, which was good. However, I was running low on storage. So I bought a new NVME M.2 SSD and added it to my build. I have heard that it's better to have windows in M.2 rather than SATA since M.2 is...
  3. Move windows to Secondary drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move windows to Secondary drive: Hi All,I have a custom-built gaming PC. Originally, I had installed a SATA SSD, which was good. However, I was running low on storage. So I bought a new NVME M.2 SSD and added it to my build. I have heard that it's better to have windows in M.2 rather than SATA since M.2 is...
  4. Move windows to Secondary drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Possible to move primary hard drive to new computer as secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Possible to move primary hard drive to new computer as secondary drive?: I have a laptop which won't boot due to a 'bad system config info' error.I also have a new desktop I'm building with a new SSD which I'll use as the primary drive. If I take out the primary SSD from my old laptop, and put it into my new desktop computer as a secondary drive...
  6. How to move Windows 10 Pro to New Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to move Windows 10 Pro to New Drive: Hey Everyone! I have Windows 10 Pro that is now installed on a 110GB Drive for a few years now. The Space on that drive is begging to fill up and I want to move the Windows with all the files and programs that installed on C drive to a new one. For this I have 200GB of space...
  7. Move windows 10 to a new drive

Move windows 10 to a new drive: Is there a way I can move my windows 10 from my SSD to a new m.2 NVMe SSD, without losing data? All i want to do is move the windows and nothing else. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-windows-10-to-a-new-drive/ba0c6ca8-d5af-4d0b-a193-b52176714ffb
  8. Windows Folders Appearing On Secondary Drive - How To Move?

Windows Folders Appearing On Secondary Drive - How To Move?: Hi all, For the past few months, on my second SSD drive I use for installing games, I have noticed several Windows folders appearing: [ATTACH] Inside the folder called 'Program Files' is a folder called 'ModifiableWindowsApps'. I assume this has something to do with...
  9. Windows 10 on secondary drive

Windows 10 on secondary drive: Hey guys, I want to format my pc but before I do, I have a question that I'm hoping to have answered. I currently have a single SSD and two HDDs, the SSD I'm using primarily for Windows. At the moment, the SSD is defaulted as the C:\ drive and this has the annoying problem...
  10. How do I move a secondary OS partition to a new hard drive without moving the primary one?

How do I move a secondary OS partition to a new hard drive without moving the primary one?: Hello. I have a bit of a unique situation. I just now got a 3 TB hard drive I plan to run Virtual Machines on. On the existing 1 TB hard drive that came with my Dell XPS 8900, I have a dual-boot setup with Windows 10 (OEM install) and Windows 7 (manual install). The Win10...