Windows 10: How to move Windows boot files to new drive?

Discus and support How to move Windows boot files to new drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an old PC which I have upgraded over the years. It used to be a Vista / Win 7 PC which I then dual booted with Win 10 on a separate new HDD -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 26dipp, Jun 10, 2020.

1. 26dipp Win User

How to move Windows boot files to new drive?

I have an old PC which I have upgraded over the years.
    It used to be a Vista / Win 7 PC which I then dual booted with Win 10 on a separate new HDD - and also Ubuntu on the Win 7 HDD - but the boot information has always remained on the original Win 7 HDD.
    I recently fitted a SSD and cloned my Win 10 installation onto it. As I had a multiboot setup I simply added the new SSD as the default drive.
    The problem came when I tried to remove the original Win 7 HDD. The PC simply stalled as it did not have any boot info.

How can I move / create reliable boot information on the new SSD?

I do not want to erase any of the existing HDDs - at least as yet.

:)

26dipp, Jun 10, 2020

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Jun 10, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 10, 2020
  4. How to move Windows boot files to new drive?

Can't boot up win Windows 7! Halp!

I never got to any options or install screen or anything, it was just "loading windows files" and then the screen. I tried it 3 times, went through those steps all 3 times. I've only been booting from the disc, it's not installed to boot from the drive.

Soylent Joe, Jun 10, 2020
Thema:

How to move Windows boot files to new drive?

1. How to move Windows boot files to new drive? - Similar Threads - move boot files

2. How to move File History to a new drive in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move File History to a new drive in Windows 11: Need to move File History to larger USB Drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-history-to-a-new-drive-in-windows/ff0b55dd-43d5-497c-b8a9-2332b04e4ad8
  3. How to move File History to a new drive in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move File History to a new drive in Windows 11: Need to move File History to larger USB Drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-history-to-a-new-drive-in-windows/ff0b55dd-43d5-497c-b8a9-2332b04e4ad8
  4. Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive: I built a new PC recently and got a new m.2 SSD Which is my new boot drive/ :C Drive. I was wondering if it was safe to take my old PC :C Drive and put it in my new one and wipe it? Will this cause any issues since there would be two drives with windows installed on them?...
  5. Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive

Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive: I built a new PC recently and got a new m.2 SSD Which is my new boot drive/ :C Drive. I was wondering if it was safe to take my old PC :C Drive and put it in my new one and wipe it? Will this cause any issues since there would be two drives with windows installed on them?...
  6. Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. How can I move boot files from old drive to new one?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I move boot files from old drive to new one?: Hello,I recently bought a new SSD in order to replace the old HDD in my laptop. During the installation of Windows 10 on the new SSD I foolishly didn't remove the old HDD from my laptop so now I have two versions of Windows 10 in both drives. Even though Windows run properly...
  8. How can I move boot files from old drive to new one?

How can I move boot files from old drive to new one?: Hello,I recently bought a new SSD in order to replace the old HDD in my laptop. During the installation of Windows 10 on the new SSD I foolishly didn't remove the old HDD from my laptop so now I have two versions of Windows 10 in both drives. Even though Windows run properly...
  9. How can I move boot files from old drive to new one?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Move Boot files to new drive or vise versa.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move Boot files to new drive or vise versa.: Long story short, I used EaseUS to clone my old boot drive HDD to a new SSD. The program said it was successful and I was able to boot into it just fine with all of my files. I erased the old HDD and now Windows gives me the 0xc0000003 error and I can't repair the SSD with a...