Windows 10: How to mute audio with one click on the Desktop

Discus and support How to mute audio with one click on the Desktop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm tired of these AV's starting up by themselves on my Browser. The sound is usually loud, unexpected and an intrusion on tranquility. Does anyone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nisko, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Nisko Win User

How to mute audio with one click on the Desktop

I'm tired of these AV's starting up by themselves on my Browser. The sound is usually loud, unexpected and an intrusion on tranquility. Does anyone have a solution on how to very quickly mute the sound without having to open the audio app? Thank you!!

:)

Nisko, Jul 19, 2017

2. Microphone keeps being muted.

I have a Dell Inspiron all-in-one desktop. Microphone keeps being muted and I cannot skype until I go into Dell Audio and in mute it. But that lasts for only a short time and it gets muted again. Cannot load Windows 10 microphone troubleshooter for
    some unknown reason. Must be some kind of resource allocation problem ?

RonaldSmith1946, Jul 19, 2017
  3. How do i boot Windows 10 with my computer on mute

Click the volume icon in the Taskbar then click Mute to left. This should mute any audio on start or log in.

If you are using a laptop, you can also mute the audio using the keyboard. Press Function key + F1 to F12 key, look for the block symbol.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 19, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

I don't know about others but I got a nice moderately costly Microsoft multimedia keyboard with volume/mute keys, about as quick as anything. My MacBook Pro has similar keys.

Berton, Jul 19, 2017
  5. Nisko Win User
    Good suggestion but I should have mentioned that I'm using a laptop - keyboard built in.

Nisko, Jul 19, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Same here.

How to mute audio with one click on the Desktop [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Jul 19, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    Notebooks/Laptops and larger Tablets usually have keys to do it. The downside to a shortcut on the desktop usually requires a double click. Using the Volume icon on the Notification Area a click/double-click to open then a click to adjust.

Berton, Jul 19, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

Yep! Left click Icon, click the little speaker.

f14tomcat, Jul 19, 2017
  9. Nisko Win User
    I'm sure there's a way to place a shortcut on the desktop to accomplish this.

Nisko, Jul 19, 2017
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    There is, but requires a teeny 3rd party app. Nircmd from Nirsoft. You would create a shortcut on the desktop with this as the target: nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 1

To un-mute:nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 0

NirCmd - Windows command line tool

f14tomcat, Jul 19, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    My Toshiba laptop has a Fn key. When pressed, the ESC key acts as a speaker mute switch. Most of the top row of keys have a second function with the Fn key, F6/F7 are the brightness down/up controls and F8 turns the WiFi off, for example. Does your Dell Workstation M6800M6800 not have some something similar?

How-To Geek: How to Choose Whether Your Function Keys are F1-F12 Keys or Special Keys

12. Nisko Win User
    My Dell Workstation doesn't seem to have that function.

As for NirSoft, how do I make a shortcut on the Desktop? Is it the same shortcut I would make to a URL - or do I have to add "run" to the command?

Nisko, Jul 19, 2017
  13. f14tomcat Win User

@Nisko

It's just a normal shortcut. Similar to a URL shortcut. Right click the desktop and follow thru with creating it. I put Nircmd in the C:\Windows directory for convenience so it's always in the path.

Next you browse to wherever you put Nircmd, my case Windows directory, and select the Nircmd.exe, then append the rest of the commad to it, like the last pic.

f14tomcat, Jul 19, 2017
  14. Nisko Win User
    Thank you again. This works fine for me.

Nisko, Jul 19, 2017
  15. lx07 Win User
Thema:

1. How to mute audio with one click on the Desktop - Similar Threads - mute audio click

2. Mute Other Desktops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mute Other Desktops: How do I get Windows to only use the sound from the currently in use Virtual Desktop. I'm using Desktop 1 and I keep hearing sound from Desktop 2. I'd like Windows to switch the audio to ONLY be the currently in use Desktop.Thanks!...
  3. Mute button wont mute my audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mute button wont mute my audio: On youtube or spotify i click my mute button which is f1 but it takes me microsoft support and i tried turning off function lock but nothing is working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mute-button-wont-mute-my-audio/50f68b49-dafe-4bf6-afba-89d2e546196d
  4. Mute button wont mute my audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mute button wont mute my audio: On youtube or spotify i click my mute button which is f1 but it takes me microsoft support and i tried turning off function lock but nothing is working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mute-button-wont-mute-my-audio/50f68b49-dafe-4bf6-afba-89d2e546196d
  5. Audio cannot be changed - either mute or one level - no adjustment

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio cannot be changed - either mute or one level - no adjustment: The sound/audio on my laptop can no longer be adjusted. I can either have medium volume or mute - no range. My laptop is an HP Envy x360 - 13-ag001au running Windows 10.0.19042 Build 19042. The Realtek driver is 10.0.19041 dated 6/12/2019.I've checked all system diagnostics...
  6. My audio is muted?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My audio is muted?: It looks like the audio of my pc is muted at the bottom. Over the volume symbol it has a red "x" But whenever i try to unmute it it just troubleshoots the problem. the lady then says its muted and that she unmuted it but when i go to click on it again, it just troubleshoots...
  7. Mute audio in inactive window. How?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mute audio in inactive window. How?: So I usually have my browser window active with music. I need to keep switching to MS Teams for calls. Is there a way to automatically mute my background window if I am active with audio on another window (like MS Teams for calls with music on the browser). submitted by...
  8. Audios is completely muted

in Windows 10 Customization
    Audios is completely muted: Just as about to browse on the internet and watch Twitch and some stuff, I hear nothing with audios and it's dead silence. I thought I have to put mute on, but I hear nothing the rest of it. I have to try to fix it such as put automatic Window Audios, Plug and Play and...
  9. Muted Audio Drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Muted Audio Drivers: I don't know if this will help or not but I was having the problem of my audio driver's would not unmute.If you are running Multiplicity or some other audio sharing software disable it! Some situations might be the same but this solved my problem. I hope this helps!...
  10. Audio muting itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio muting itself: Does anyone know what might cause the audio to mute itself . Ive seen the behavior on a couple of different machines now, mainly HP Probook laptops. It seems to happen most often during Zoom meetings while talking the microphone and speakers randomly mute. Ive tried the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to mute volume icon with one click

2. how to mute clicks on remote desktop