Windows 10: How to mute speaker / audio, unless ear plugs are used

Discus and support How to mute speaker / audio, unless ear plugs are used in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I was wondering if there was a way to silence a computer unless the user is using headphones / ear plugs? The university I work for has this across... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/illegitimatecommish, Jan 21, 2020.

1. How to mute speaker / audio, unless ear plugs are used

I was wondering if there was a way to silence a computer unless the user is using headphones / ear plugs? The university I work for has this across some labs but I can't seem to figure it out. Doesn't seem to be a GPO option. They are Dell Optiplex 7040's, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/illegitimatecommish
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/illegitimatecommish, Jan 21, 2020

2. Speaker gets muted everytime I plug in a usb charger to charge my controller

Hi Shawn,

An outdated device driver can cause a muted audio when plugging in a USB charger. For us to isolate this issue, we would like to ask these questions:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What is the current build number and version of your Windows?
    • Have you encountered any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Janeane Cru, Jan 21, 2020
  3. ChasSF Win User
    Speakers Stopped Muting When Headphones Plugged In

After the Windows 10 upgrade, which seemed to go flawlessly, the speakers on my Dell XPS15 no longer mute when I plug in the headphones.

Dell has no idea. RealTek drivers are up-to-date.

The headphones no longer show in the "playback" section of the RealTek Audio manager or in disabled devices, however they work perfectly. It's just that I do not want the speakers to be playing at the same time as the headphones.

ChasSF, Jan 21, 2020
  4. tmasierra Win User

How to mute speaker / audio, unless ear plugs are used

How do I mute my internal laptop speakers leaving external speakers on

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie. Windows 10. Incredibly I was innocently dusting my Del laptop keys when my computer sound (usually set on Pandora music) was muted, showing an 'x' over speaker icon on taskbar. Previously I could just click it to get it unmuted. This time it took about two hours of my time. Now I have sound coming out of both my external speakers and my internal speakers, when previously just plugging in my external speakers would mute my internal, or built-in, speakers. Is there any way I can mute my internal speakers without muting my external speakers without spending the rest of the day in troubleshooting, involving detailed examination of my motherboard and countless other steps?
    Thanks for listening!
    tma

tmasierra, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

How to mute speaker / audio, unless ear plugs are used

1. How to mute speaker / audio, unless ear plugs are used - Similar Threads - mute speaker audio

2. Windows10 says speakers not plugged in but they are and used to work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows10 says speakers not plugged in but they are and used to work: Windows 10 says my speakers are not plugged in but they are and they are working. Last time I used them was about 2 weeks ago. What do I have to do to get Windows 10 to recognize the speakers?...
  3. Headphones plugged in, but game audio coming through speakers.

Headphones plugged in, but game audio coming through speakers.: I plug in headphones and I can listen to music or youtube through the headphones, but when I try and play a game, the audio plays through my laptop speakers. Is there any way to fix this and have everything playing in my headphones?...
  4. Speakers will not work unless headphones are plugged in.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Speakers will not work unless headphones are plugged in.: I use a little RCA W1013DK for my college studies. Earlier on today for some odd reason my internal speakers stopped working. So after hours of checking privacy options, resetting services, going through trouble shoots, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. I plugged my...
  5. audio problem: "no speakers or headphones are plugged in"

audio problem: "no speakers or headphones are plugged in": hi, i've been having serious audio issues with my computer, an asus x555ya, for almost three weeks now. the sound icon on my taskbar has a red x on it. i've tried every single solution on the internet to no avail; attempted to update/reinstall my audio driver only to find out...
  6. My speaker is muted. Help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My speaker is muted. Help: Hi, I have many days with my speakers in mute mode and I don't knew how fix it. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-speaker-is-muted-help/60be1102-cb8d-4c70-8507-9da31b30db38
  7. Speaker icon muted

in Windows 10 Customization
    Speaker icon muted: Speaker icon muted at top left corner on microsoft edge https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-icon-muted/d4faa040-1f2f-4dd6-ab39-e1289624f6d0
  8. Headphone Audio Auto Muted When Not In Use

Headphone Audio Auto Muted When Not In Use: This only happens with headphones plugged in whenever I pause a video after a minute there will be a pop sound in the left ear; when I hit play the pop sound happens again and there's no sound for 2-3 seconds and then it comes in. I changed the driver from realtek to the...
  9. Is There An Auto-Mute-Speakers App?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is There An Auto-Mute-Speakers App?: Hi, I'm looking for an app that I can record certain soundbytes to, and once that app recognizes one second of that same exact sound byte, it will auto-mute the audio on the computer for a certain amount of time, for example, say like 20 seconds, then un-mute the audio....
  10. External Speaker Fails to Mute Internal Speaker

External Speaker Fails to Mute Internal Speaker: I am running Windows 10 Professional with current up-to-date updates on my Dell Inspiron Laptop. Several days ago I noticed that plugging in current headset no longer muted the internal speaker. I know that it is not the headset as it works perfectly on another computer....