Windows 10: How to Network 5 PC's and access external Hard Drives

Discus and support How to Network 5 PC's and access external Hard Drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When i had Home Group, i was able to access both of my external hard drives from all of my computers. i have an additional challenge now - we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KarenStavert, Jan 9, 2019.

1. How to Network 5 PC's and access external Hard Drives

When i had Home Group, i was able to

access both of my external hard drives

from all of my computers.

i have an additional challenge now -

we hve switched to 4G LTE WiFi -

almost every time my main PC

rebozos, it has a different IP

address

So, when i use the IP address to

network the HD, the computers

don't seem able to access the

HD's when the IP changes...

the latest Windows 10 updates

seem to have changed available

options when i right click the

drives - doesn't display "share"

options

Windows 10/64 on all PC's

Thanks for your help

Karen

:)

KarenStavert, Jan 9, 2019

2. Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Jan 9, 2019
  3. Problem accessing external hard drive over network

Hi,

In regards to your concern, we need to isolate the main issue if it's a problem with your external hard drive or with your PC.

We suggest that you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Step 1: File Signature Verification Tool.

This tool help maintain the integrity of your Windows operating system by checking if there are any unsigned drivers in your operating system.

• Press Windows key + R to open the run command.
    • Type sigverif.exe and press enter.
    • Check if you see a list of unsigned drivers.

Step 2: Scan for hardware changes.

• Press Windows key + R to open the run command.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
    • Expand computer and highlight the extension.
    • There will be an icon to scan for hardware changes right below
      help.
    • Check if the external hard drive is working.

Step 3: Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

• Press the Windows + X, and click on Search.
    • Type troubleshooting and select Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and select
      Hardware and Devices
    • Click on Next to run the troubleshooter.

Hope the above information helps.

Thank you.

Acelyn Alc, Jan 9, 2019
  4. BobInOhio Win User

How to Network 5 PC's and access external Hard Drives

Problem accessing external hard drive over network

I have a problem that came up recently. I have a Toshiba 1.5 tb external hard drive. I have an Acer desktop and an Asus laptop, both running Windows 10. When I connect the external hard drive to my laptop, I can access files from it over my network (including
    my desktop. tablets and phone).

When I connect the external hard drive to my desktop, I cannot access the files from the hard drive over my network (including my laptop, tablets and phone). I used to be able to do this until about one month ago. I don't remember changing any network
    settings. When I have the external connected to my desktop, I can see it listed there when I view the files from my laptop, but I can't open any of the files.

I have the external hard drive set to share from the desktop, but again I can't access it from any other device on my network.

I've tried to contact Toshiba's support but they are worthless. I can't even enter my M/N or S?N on their tech support site.

Any ideas? Thanks

BobInOhio, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

How to Network 5 PC's and access external Hard Drives

1. How to Network 5 PC's and access external Hard Drives - Similar Threads - Network PC's access

2. How to access the recycle bin on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to access the recycle bin on an external hard drive: Hi,Please could someone advise how I can gain access to the recycle bin on my external hard drive? I have followed the steps to make $RECYCLE visible and that worked, however, it's actually showing me the recycle bin on my laptop instead. I have searched the hard drive for...
  3. How to access the recycle bin on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to access the recycle bin on an external hard drive: Hi,Please could someone advise how I can gain access to the recycle bin on my external hard drive? I have followed the steps to make $RECYCLE visible and that worked, however, it's actually showing me the recycle bin on my laptop instead. I have searched the hard drive for...
  4. Connecting External Hard Drive to Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting External Hard Drive to Network: I would like to have an external hard drivecontinuously connected to my home network. My router does not have a USB port and I do not have any PC that is connected 100% of the time to the home network. my PCs are running Win 11 Home editionIs there a hardware device I should...
  5. Connecting External Hard Drive to Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting External Hard Drive to Network: I would like to have an external hard drivecontinuously connected to my home network. My router does not have a USB port and I do not have any PC that is connected 100% of the time to the home network. my PCs are running Win 11 Home editionIs there a hardware device I should...
  6. Accessing c drive on external hard drive

Accessing c drive on external hard drive: I really don't know how to explain this. But I have 2 computers. A desktop, and a laptop. The desktop had a lot of dust and one of the fans has blown and an electrical smell from the fan area started. I turned the computer off right away.Later, I removed the hard disk drive...
  7. External Hard Drive No Access

External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  8. Network external hard drives not found

Network external hard drives not found: Can somone give me a non techy response? I have a Netgear wireless router. I have a dell Win 10 computer. My comuter does not recognize the external Hard Drive plugged into the router's USB Port. I did a reinstall of the latest version of Win 10.. My drive was...
  9. External Hard drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  10. External Hard drive not accessible...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive not accessible...: Hi All, External Hard drive not accessible...? I have 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim 200gb cloud Hard Drive. It was working fine on Win 7 earlier, I formatted my desktop and installed win 7 OS since then my exernal hard drive is not initializing. My external hdd was not...