Windows 10: How to obtain product key in motherboard BIOS?

Discus and support How to obtain product key in motherboard BIOS? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm convinced my brother to finally upgrade his PC. I have assembled his new PC & waiting for him to arrive at my home with his old PC later today so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GARoss, Sep 1, 2017.

1. GARoss Win User

How to obtain product key in motherboard BIOS?

I'm convinced my brother to finally upgrade his PC. I have assembled his new PC & waiting for him to arrive at my home with his old PC later today so we can remove hardware & install these in his new PC.

All it took was PSU issues with the old PC he purchased from MicroCenter in 2012 to upgrade! It was Windows 7 Pro but free upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. He's not good at keeping documents so we are trying to find if his old PC has the needed product key embedded in the motherboard BIOS which we will need to save him the cost of repurchasing. That might be the case anyway as I'm not sure how MicroCenter is setup with Microsoft for their in-house builds. I'm hoping it's a "Retail" version, not OEM or Volume. Perhaps there is a way to find this out, too.

So, I read online of software called RWEverything that can read from the desktop this info in BIOS. Anyone use this before or is there a better way? I guess if it's not a retail version it wouldn't matter as he would need to repurchase anyway.

:)

GARoss, Sep 1, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Sep 1, 2017
  3. How to obtain Windows Product Key for downloaded Windows 10 following hardware modification

I have a Macbook Pro with Parallels 11 and Windows 10. I have just had to replace the motheboard of the Macbook, and now have to re-install/activate the Parallels and Windows 10. I have managed to do the Parallels because I still have the product key, but
    have a problem with Windows 10. I have downloaded the software from the Microsoft site, but when I try to install it it asks for a product key which I do not have. When I upgraded earlier to Windows 10 I did not have a product key, I just had an entitlement
    e-mail which I no longer have.

How can I activate my newly downloaded Windows 10, please?

GonzalezJS, Sep 1, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

Cliff S, Sep 1, 2017
  5. GARoss Win User
    GARoss, Sep 1, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome*Thumbs

Cliff S, Sep 1, 2017
  7. AddRAM Win User
    If it`s not Retail then you can`t reuse the key on any other PC, especially new hardware.

But if you upgraded to W10, then I think you can transfer that digital license to new hardware.

AddRAM, Sep 1, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Here is the method provided by Microsoft:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530

NavyLCDR, Sep 1, 2017
  9. GARoss Win User
    Superfly's ShowKeyPlus - Windows 10 Forums worked great! Unfortunately, my brother's old PC was OEM. He paid MS the $119.99 + tax.

Off topic here - What was odd was how MS Activates Windows. We got the email receipt for the purchase but no product license key or how to download info (didn't need the download anyway). No instructions at all, so I tried MS chat online help which is slow at best. The tech asked if we were upgrading to Win 10 when I had already said it was a clean install, new PC! After maybe 20 minutes he told me to enter my brother's email into the product key line. When I did it partially filled in a Product Key-Like series of all caps which it rejected when I hit the enter key. I gave up the "chat" & called MS. When this tech told me to looked again at the Activation window again, Windows was activated! Odd how that works! Used ShowKeyPlus again & save the Product Key info.

Thanks for the help! *Smile

GARoss, Sep 2, 2017
  10. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome.

On my PC I just got last fall, I just turned it on, let Windows install, and it was´automatically activated the OEM license.
    Then I went to Activation in the Settings app, entered my Pro Key, and after a reboot it had switched to Pro(it only needs to turn on and unpack and install the "extras" that pro has) I do use my Microsoft account so it saves my digital license to my Microsoft account, making reinstalling faster.

How to obtain product key in motherboard BIOS? [​IMG]

It's basically the old "is this license genuine check" that older Windows version, like Win7 had.

Here is a link to Microsoft information page about Activation: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-10-activation

Cliff S, Sep 2, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm curious as to why you did not try the method that Microsoft has provided to transfer the license for free which was linked to in my previous post?

NavyLCDR, Sep 2, 2017
  12. GARoss Win User
    I appreciate your post but it was too late. By the time of your post we had already begun the install of Windows 10 Home & then into the Activation process. An hour ago today I revisited my post & read your post at that time.

GARoss, Sep 2, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Sorry we weren't in time to save you $120.

NavyLCDR, Sep 2, 2017
  14. GARoss Win User
    I do appreciate your advice but this was no fault of yours. If anything I should of posted earlier.

Everything my brother & I had read indicated OEM was out of luck for free hardware / new system ownership transfer. He had purchased his original Win 7 PC from MicroCenter & my suspicions were it was OEM. He took advantage of the Win 10 upgrade back in 2015 so I thought that one time upgrade would finish OEMs. When ShowKeyPlus indicated OEM he decided it wasn't a big deal as he would try replacing the suspected failing PSU & if this took care of the issue he'd use that PC for something else.

GARoss, Sep 3, 2017
  15. Superfly Win User
    As an aside..

I have an issue at GitHub where a guy purchased licences through the Store expecting unique keys but got digital licences instead none the ware that it requires the Activation Wizard and MSA rather than the the old product key entry method as opposed to saving a product key for future use.

I'm not sure many understand the way digital licences work.. and MS in their inimitable way do not quite make this plain enough IMHO.

Superfly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to obtain product key in motherboard BIOS? - Similar Threads - obtain product key

2. How do I obtain my product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I obtain my product key?: Some time ago I upgraded my PC. I now recently booted my old PC up and realized it had W10 Pro. My new one doesn't. I want upgrade my new PC with the product key of this one. I am having trouble getting the actual key though. I've tried some command prompt methods but they...
  3. How do I obtain my product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I obtain my product key?: Some time ago I upgraded my PC. I now recently booted my old PC up and realized it had W10 Pro. My new one doesn't. I want upgrade my new PC with the product key of this one. I am having trouble getting the actual key though. I've tried some command prompt methods but they...
  4. How do I obtain my product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to obtain a product key for windows 10 home.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to obtain a product key for windows 10 home.: Hello,Will purchasing the "windows 10 home download" from Microsoft give me a product key or what am I getting if I purchase this. Also, how would I know if this is for the 64-bit version of windows? Thanks for the help...
  6. How to obtain a product key for windows 10 home.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to obtain a product key for windows 10 home.: Hello,Will purchasing the "windows 10 home download" from Microsoft give me a product key or what am I getting if I purchase this. Also, how would I know if this is for the 64-bit version of windows? Thanks for the help...
  7. How to obtain a product key for windows 10 home.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  8. how to obtain a product keys for activation of windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to obtain a product keys for activation of windows: i can't find my product keys for windows activation. How or Where do i found it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-obtain-a-product-keys-for-activation-of/5c1b3c87-160b-4d9f-9182-e043d0f6617f
  9. How to Obtain Windows 10 Product key from Microsoft

How to Obtain Windows 10 Product key from Microsoft: My PC mother board and the HDD got completely destroyed. Can anyone help me to obtain my Windows 10 Pro product key as well as to down load the OS...
  10. Is it possible for me to obtain my product key?

Is it possible for me to obtain my product key?: Hello,I recently purchased a used laptop that came with an activated version of Windows 10 32-bit Pro,I'd like to switch to 64-bit because it's compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit software,but I would prefer to have the features of activated Windows,is there anyway that I...