Windows 10: How to open a VHD file asking for reformatting

Discus and support How to open a VHD file asking for reformatting in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The issue has a backstory, starting with an issue with accessing data on a 8T external USB drive. Consequently, my question may cover many forums. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by OldGuyNewbe, Apr 15, 2021.

1. How to open a VHD file asking for reformatting

The issue has a backstory, starting with an issue with accessing data on a 8T external USB drive. Consequently, my question may cover many forums. The USB Drive got bumped...hard...and could not be directly accessed but did show up in Disk Management in Win10Pro running on an HP laptop. After many attempts at a software fix using commercial recovery software, I saw an article indicating that by creating a virtual disk I might be able to access the data. Bought an identical and NTSF formatted 8T usb external drive and created a vhd file on it from the original damaged disk. I then attached the virtual disk to the new and formatted 8T usb drive.

Now the real issue s. First, is this a legitimate approach to getting the lost data? Second, when I access the new virtual drive with its new drive letter, I am asked to format the drive. However, formatting would wipe out the data. Also, I cannot rule out that the damaged hard disk may be OK but the external drive module electronics may be damaged, which may be a root cause of all the accessing data issues.

How do I resolve the format request issue and is the approach for recovering the data legitimate??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Luther

:)

OldGuyNewbe, Apr 15, 2021
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Apr 15, 2021
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    how to resize a vhd file?

Hi Papperboy3498,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We are glad to hear that you were able to fix the issue and I thank you for providing the information about how you fixed it.

The other way to resize the Virtual file is using the
    DISKPART commands.

For example: Open the command prompt in administrator mode and follow these steps.

• Diskpart.exe
    • Diskpart> Select disk 0
    • Diskpart> Select volume 1 (Assuming your VHD is detected as volume 1)
    • Diskpart> shrink desired=4*** minimum=2***(Where * indicates the amount of space you want to add)

Please feel free to contact us back, in case you face any other issues regarding Windows in future.

Regards,

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Apr 15, 2021
  4. How to open a VHD file asking for reformatting

how to resize a vhd file?

so I was experimenting with vhd files and I wanted to resize a vhd file so that I could add in more partitions. basically, I just wanted to put two vhd files together as a partition but can't so I copied one of the vhd files using VirtualBox and then extend
    the copy and create a partition and copy the contents of the other vhd file.

information of the vhd files because I can't find the attachments button:

1. FreeBSD.VHD (the one I copied):

disk type: MBR

file system: I think either UFS, UFS2, or ZFS.

disk space: 16.00 GB

2. MS-DOS 6.22 with CD-ROM Support VHD.vhd

disk type: MBR

file system: FAT

disk space: 2.00 GB

edit: I found out! go to the disk you want to resize (on VirtualBox) open properties, and use the slider to change disk size.

papperboy3498, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

How to open a VHD file asking for reformatting

1. How to open a VHD file asking for reformatting - Similar Threads - open VHD file

2. Why are my VHD files set to open with note pad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my VHD files set to open with note pad?: I made VHD files and for some reason instead of it having the image of a hard drive default image it shows an image of note padsIs there any way I can remove it to its default instead of open with?...
  3. Why are my VHD files set to open with note pad?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are my VHD files set to open with note pad?: I made VHD files and for some reason instead of it having the image of a hard drive default image it shows an image of note padsIs there any way I can remove it to its default instead of open with?...
  4. Can VHD files be downloaded?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can VHD files be downloaded?: Hello, a while back, I accidentally clicked on an AD and it attempted to install a VHD by the name of "Your File is Ready to Download.VHD". Obviously I quickly stopped the download, but the download itself had no progress bar, so is it even possible for a VHD to be installed?...
  5. Can VHD files be downloaded?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can VHD files be downloaded?: Hello, a while back, I accidentally clicked on an AD and it attempted to install a VHD by the name of "Your File is Ready to Download.VHD". Obviously I quickly stopped the download, but the download itself had no progress bar, so is it even possible for a VHD to be installed?...
  6. How to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]VMDK, VHDX, and VHD are file formats of Virtual drives. They are unique and unlike other files, you can not just double-click on them to open the file. This is a complete guide on how to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10. What are VMDK, VHDX, and VHD files?...
  7. How to delete VHD

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to delete VHD: Hey everyone, this is my first post, but I want to get straight to the point. I created a VHD a few years back and it has grown in file size. However, these files are now useless to me and I would like to delete them. I unmounted the driver and when i try to delete it from...
  8. VHD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    VHD: just a small question. can i delete a vhd after i hv mounted it permanently? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vhd/deab598a-d7fe-4c5c-ace2-91003242d580
  9. Mount a VHD? How?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mount a VHD? How?: I used VirtualBox to create a 640MB VHD (virtual hard disk) named 'Palemoon portable (Linux).vhd'. (Note that the VHD is not a VDI.) I need to format it, but first, I need to mount it. But when I attempt to mount it (as Administrator) via Disk Managment's 'Action' 'Attach...
  10. how to resize a vhd file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to resize a vhd file?: so I was experimenting with vhd files and I wanted to resize a vhd file so that I could add in more partitions. basically, I just wanted to put two vhd files together as a partition but can't so I copied one of the vhd files using VirtualBox and then extend the copy and...