Windows 10: How to open and read Small Memory Dump (dmp) files in Windows 10

Discus and support How to open and read Small Memory Dump (dmp) files in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]When a running Windows application stops or crashes unexpectedly, your system generates a ‘crash […] This article How to open and read Small... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Nov 22, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to open and read Small Memory Dump (dmp) files in Windows 10

WinClub, Nov 22, 2020
  2. Jaune Bel Win User

How to open .dmp file?

Hi Josue,

We would like to know a few things about your concern with opening a dump file. Kindly answer the following:

• Which tool are you using to open a dump file?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you try to open the file?

We would also want to know why would you try to open a dump file. Opening and reading a dump file is for advanced purposes and we would like to know the answer to the questions so we can refer you to the right MSDN forum.

You can also refer to this article about reading a dump file for future
    reference.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Jaune Bel, Nov 22, 2020
  3. garyinhere, Nov 22, 2020
  4. How to open and read Small Memory Dump (dmp) files in Windows 10

Need help analyzing dump file.

If your computer crashes, how can you find out what happened, fix the issue and it prevent it from happening again? You may find the small memory dump file useful in this situation. The small memory dump file contains
    the smallest amount of useful information that could help you identify why your computer crashed. The memory dump file contains the following information:
    • The Stop message, its parameters and other data
    • A list of loaded drivers
    • The processor context (PRCB) for the processor that stopped
    • The process information and kernel context (EPROCESS) for the process that stopped
    • The process information and kernel context (ETHREAD) for the thread that stopped
    • The Kernel-mode call stack for the thread that stopped
    To create a memory dump file, Windows requires a paging file on the boot volume that is at least 2 megabytes (MB) in size. On computers that are running Microsoft Windows 2000, or a later version of Windows, a new memory
    dump file is created each time that a computer crash may occur. A history of these files is stored in a folder. If a second problem occurs and if Windows creates a second small memory dump file, Windows preserves the previous file. Windows gives each file
    a distinct, date-encoded file name. For example, Mini022900-01.dmp is the first memory dump file that was generated on February 29, 2000. Windows keeps a list of all the small memory dump files in the %SystemRoot%\Minidump folder.

The small memory dump file can be useful when hard disk space is limited. However, because of the limited information that is included, errors that were not directly caused by the thread that was running at the time of
    the problem may not be discovered by an analysis of this file.

WilliamSuiter1, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

How to open and read Small Memory Dump (dmp) files in Windows 10

1. How to open and read Small Memory Dump (dmp) files in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - open read Small

2. Windows not creating small memory dumps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not creating small memory dumps: I have a MSI Gaming Laptop. I am struggling with Kernel-Power Event ID 41 Task Category 63 this issue. In order to diagnose this I am checking dump files when the system failure occurs but windows is not creating them. I have configured windows to save Small Memory Dumps in...
  3. Windows not creating small memory dumps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not creating small memory dumps: I have a MSI Gaming Laptop. I am struggling with Kernel-Power Event ID 41 Task Category 63 this issue. In order to diagnose this I am checking dump files when the system failure occurs but windows is not creating them. I have configured windows to save Small Memory Dumps in...
  4. Windows 10 Memory dump file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Memory dump file: I want help here to analyze this Memory.dmp file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-memory-dump-file/e15f0139-df8b-4bce-82b5-bde2355921e8
  5. Memory DMP file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory DMP file: Can someone please run this minidump file and tell me specifically what's causing my blue Screen error to pop-up, I don't understand the errors and the cause.My system specs: Win 1016 GB ddr4 ramRTX 2070512 x2 NVMeintel i10 10th genminidump File:...
  6. Memory DMP file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Memory DMP file: Can someone please run this minidump file and tell me specifically what's causing my blue Screen error to pop-up, I don't understand the errors and the cause.My system specs: Win 1016 GB ddr4 ramRTX 2070512 x2 NVMeintel i10 10th genminidump File:...
  7. Memory DMP file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Windows 10 Memory dump file

Windows 10 Memory dump file: I want help here to analyze this Memory.dmp file created. Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.21306.1007 AMD64Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP]Kernel Bitmap Dump File: Kernel address space is available,...
  9. Crash Dumps (dmp files)

Crash Dumps (dmp files): I routinely find these files on my computer after exiting photoshop. I do not seem to have any problems now with this program. Although I did for a while until my graphics card settings were synched with Windows 10 and photoshop. However, the dmp files continue to...
  10. How to read dump files?

How to read dump files?: I just got my first BSOD! I wasn't quick enough to note down the full error as Windows did a crash dump, but I did notice the offending file was an Atheros driver. This was confirmed by Control Panel | Reliability Monitor Source Windows Summary Shut down...