Windows 10: How to open DOC/X files in older version of Word

Discus and support How to open DOC/X files in older version of Word in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello For the past few years, my Windows opened a DOC/X file in Word 2003 instead of e.g. Word 2016 (when I double-clicked a DOC/X file). Every 2-3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ugcheleuce, May 4, 2020.

1. How to open DOC/X files in older version of Word

Hello

For the past few years, my Windows opened a DOC/X file in Word 2003 instead of e.g. Word 2016 (when I double-clicked a DOC/X file). Every 2-3 weeks Windows would change the file association of DOC/X files to Word 2016, but when I run Word 2003 manually (or use Detect and Repair), the file associations would change to Word 2003 again.

Today, however, this no longer works. When I run Word 2003, it runs fine (and appears to work fine) but I get an error message "Microsoft Office Word 11.0 - An error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly. Please run Setup and select "Repair..." to restore this application.". Repairing (and reinstalling) Word 2003 doesn't progress past about the halfway mark and then the repair/reinstall dialog mysteriously exits. Also, when I try to use Detect and Repair, Malwarebytes tells me there's malware in the TEMP folder (but disabling Malwarebytes doesn't make the repair process work). I also tried disabling the Office Source Engine service.

There is a registry hack for disabling the error message, but what I really want is for DOC/X files to open in Word 2003.

This brings me to ask a question that I have had for over a decade: how to convince Windows that I want to open DOC/X files in Word 2003, not Word 2016. I recall having a similar problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader many years ago -- I had both version 5 and version 6 installed, and try as I might I was unable to get Windows to use version 5 for PDF files, and I always had to run version 5 manually and open files using drag-an-drop (as I'm now forced to do with DOC/X files).

Either, do you know what causes this error message, or: do you know of surefire way to make DOC/X files open in Word 2003 (and uninstalling Word 2016 is not an option, because I need it for 1% of documents).

Thanks
    Samuel

(Using Windows 10 Home)

:)

ugcheleuce, May 4, 2020

2. How to open in Windows 10 , office 365 : older version of Word docs & Excel xls

How to open in Windows 10 , office 365 : older version of Word docs & Excel xls ?

RaphaelBigio, May 4, 2020
  3. microsoft word 2003

I have a lot of ms word files on my pc. But one of them showed me an error - Getting unknown error messages while opening (.doc) or (.docx) files. I don't know how to open my word file or repair microsoft word. Any suggestions, guys, please.

abandone15, May 4, 2020
  4. CLinsen Win User

How to open DOC/X files in older version of Word

Opening a Word doc in a Second Desktop from Explorer

Thank you so much for your reply!

To clarify, the problem is that whenever I try to open another word doc in file explorer in a second desktop it goes back to the desktop in which there already is a word doc open and opens the requested doc there, instead of in the second desktop.

I have tried the repair and it did not help. Any other suggestions?

Cindy

CLinsen, May 4, 2020
Thema:

How to open DOC/X files in older version of Word

1. How to open DOC/X files in older version of Word - Similar Threads - open DOC files

2. Have an older version of Word - on a large doc, the program will stop when copying or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Have an older version of Word - on a large doc, the program will stop when copying or...: Have an older version of Word - on a large doc, the program will stop when copying or highlighting text and I must wait for it before I can copy or even save the file....
  3. word doc has a gray x

in Windows 10 Gaming
    word doc has a gray x: word doc has a gray x https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-doc-has-a-gray-x/d251a2e8-dae6-465c-b265-adf96429f7a7
  4. word doc has a gray x

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    word doc has a gray x: word doc has a gray x https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-doc-has-a-gray-x/d251a2e8-dae6-465c-b265-adf96429f7a7
  5. word doc has a gray x

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Setting default Word version for opening docs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting default Word version for opening docs: Hello, How do I choose a the default version of Word with which to open docs? Currently I have 2013 and 2019 installed, and the files are opened in 2013 by default. How do I set them so they're opened by 2019? When I go to "Open with" from the context menu and select Word...
  7. file explorer opens wordperfect doc in word

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer opens wordperfect doc in word: Windows 10 file explorer opens Wordperfect document in Word. I have never had this problem with file explorer in previous versions. I have always double clicked on the document and it opens in its correct program. How do change this setting?...
  8. opening a word doc

in Windows 10 Customization
    opening a word doc: since purchasing and installing Adobe, When I open a document in word i have about 3 signs coming up - eg: File not found: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/MACPDFM/MacPDFM.framework/Versions/A/MacPDFM How do I stop this?...
  9. DIrect x on older versions?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DIrect x on older versions?: I currently have DirectX 12, and I was trying to play some games that installed older versions of DirectX, but would always fail and require a manual download. So I try that, but every single version always has the same error, saying that there was internal error. It seems...
  10. how to open this doc as word doc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to open this doc as word doc?: This document was originally opened as a notepad document, so it opens that way always. I would like to change it to a Word document. Is that possible?...