Windows 10: How to open File Explorer in new window?

Discus and support How to open File Explorer in new window? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On my Windows 10 desktop when I click the File Explorer icon on the taskbar, it opens a new window - as in the attached screenshots. If I click File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MikeGrant65, May 16, 2020.

1. How to open File Explorer in new window?

On my Windows 10 desktop when I click the File Explorer icon on the taskbar, it opens a new window - as in the attached screenshots. If I click File Explorer again it opens another new window, and so on.

How to open File Explorer in new window? 2f84271c-6209-40b3-bd6a-89e30d2ff05d?upload=true.png

How to open File Explorer in new window? 01ce731f-4d4a-4c2d-a173-1b5c66ea0f8b?upload=true.png

My question is - how do I enable this behaviour on my Windows 10 laptop, since I find it really useful?

It is not the option Explorer option "Launch folder windows in a separate process" - this is unticked.

* Both machines are Version 1909 OS Build 18363.836

:)

MikeGrant65, May 16, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 16, 2020
  3. 'Open in new window' right-click menu option for File Explorer

I just submitted this suggestion on Windows Uservoice:

The idea: the right-click menu for folders in File Explorer has an option called 'Open in new window', which opens that folder in a new File Explorer window. Very useful for copying and moving things, and opening destination folders without accessing the start menu a second time.

right-click menu option for File Explorer – Feature Suggestions for Windows

Delicieuxz, May 16, 2020
  4. NUS
    Nus Win User

How to open File Explorer in new window?

'Open in new window' right-click menu option for File Explorer

Is this a weird joke/troll?

That feature has been in Explorer since at least Windows 7...

Thema:

How to open File Explorer in new window?

1. How to open File Explorer in new window? - Similar Threads - open File Explorer

2. How to stop onedrive opening in new file explorer tab

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to stop onedrive opening in new file explorer tab: Whenever I click on onedrive it opens up in a new tab. File Explorer options is set to open in the same window and does this for everything else except onedrive.I really want onedrive to open in the same tab. Is there a way I can do this?Thanks...
  3. How to stop onedrive opening in new file explorer tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop onedrive opening in new file explorer tab: Whenever I click on onedrive it opens up in a new tab. File Explorer options is set to open in the same window and does this for everything else except onedrive.I really want onedrive to open in the same tab. Is there a way I can do this?Thanks...
  4. How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...: Hello,I am loving the tabs functionality of the new file explorer, but I am constantly annoying with the fact that opening any folder results in a new file explorer windows being spawned. What I would instead like to happen is that my current file explorer windows is made...
  5. How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...: Hello,I am loving the tabs functionality of the new file explorer, but I am constantly annoying with the fact that opening any folder results in a new file explorer windows being spawned. What I would instead like to happen is that my current file explorer windows is made...
  6. File explorer opens folders in new windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer opens folders in new windows: Build 22621.730Hi everyone, I'm experiencing this issue since I updated Windows 11 to the current version. I can finally use tabs in file explorer and that's a wonderful thing. However, every time I double click a folder, file explorer decides to open it in a new window.I...
  7. File explorer opens folders in new windows

File explorer opens folders in new windows: Build 22621.730Hi everyone, I'm experiencing this issue since I updated Windows 11 to the current version. I can finally use tabs in file explorer and that's a wonderful thing. However, every time I double click a folder, file explorer decides to open it in a new window.I...
  8. Opening a new File Explorer Window in W11

Opening a new File Explorer Window in W11: HiIn W10, I can open a new File Explorer window by hitting File -> Open New Window.In W11 there appear to be no equivalent option under the "New" menu; to open a new Explorer window you need to either use the keyboard shortcut or right click on the start panel icon; this is...
  9. Opening a new File Explorer Window in W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening a new File Explorer Window in W11: HiIn W10, I can open a new File Explorer window by hitting File -> Open New Window.In W11 there appear to be no equivalent option under the "New" menu; to open a new Explorer window you need to either use the keyboard shortcut or right click on the start panel icon; this is...
  10. File explorer opening new windows everytime

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer opening new windows everytime: Hello, I was having a problem with the file explorer on my Windows 10 64-bit Pro. Usually I keep lots of folders inside my Downloads folder (the one located inside my user folder). Everytime I access the Downloads folder from the quick access menu, and then access a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to open a new file explorer window