Windows 10: How to open manually created backup files?

Discus and support How to open manually created backup files? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So my Windows broke down 2 days ago. I don't know how nor why, but the computer wouldn't boot, and I had important files on it. I decided the best... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Daniel_H123, Jan 10, 2019.

1. How to open manually created backup files?

So my Windows broke down 2 days ago. I don't know how nor why, but the computer wouldn't boot, and I had important files on it. I decided the best thing to do would be to use the backup function the OS provided when I booted from a memory stick, which I then proceeded to do. I've now got roughly 1TB in compressed files on my external hard drive that I now have no idea how to either open or even use, for that matter. The file format is completely new to me, and all of the decompression programs that I know of is not able to do the job. What do I do?

Picture of the top of the folder with the archived files

How to open manually created backup files? a8e8922b-d384-4c7e-b545-734367f869b1?upload=true.png

Thanks in advance

:)

Daniel_H123, Jan 10, 2019

2. Backup files

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

When you create a backup using Windows Backup, you should use the Restore Files wizard to restore the files. If you can't use the Restore Files wizard (for example, when you're using a computer that’s not running the current operating syatem) you can manually
    extract files from a backup by following these steps:

• Open the location where your backup is saved.

Note: The files in your backup are saved as zip files.
    • Right-click the backup file (a file with the Windows Backup icon and the name of your computer), and then click
      Open.

To manually extract files that are larger than 200 MBs

If a file is larger than 200 MBs, it will be split into multiple zip files. You will need to extract and then combine these files following these steps:

• Open the location where your backup is saved.
    • Find the zip files that contain the file you want to extract. For example, if you're trying to extract a video file named
      My video, you would find the zip files that contain files with that name.
    • Create a folder on your desktop to extract the files to.
    Since the files all have the same name, you'll need to rename them as you extract them.

• Extract the first file into the folder you created on your desktop and then rename the file.
    Repeat the below steps until you have extracted all of the files, making sure that you name them similarly. For example, if you have four files for the
    My video video, name them My video1, My video2,
    My video3, and My video4.

• Open the Command Prompt window by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type
      Command Prompt, and then, in the list of results, click
      Command Prompt
    • Type the following command: copy /b filename*.file_extension new_filename.file_extension

For example, copy /b My video*.avi
      My videoAll.avi

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we woudl be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 10, 2019
  3. Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Jan 10, 2019
  4. How to open manually created backup files?

Backup using file history

Hi Doug,

There are limited options when using backup and restore. We suggest that you create a full backup using Windows 10 system image tool, you need to connect external storage with enough available space. See steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click on System and Security.
    • Click on Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
    • On the left pane, click the Create a system image link.
    • Under Where do you want to save the backup?, select the
      On a hard disk
      option.
    • Using the "On a hard disk" drop-down menu, select the storage to save the backup.
    • Click the Start backup button.

Note: Once you completed the steps, the wizard will proceed to create a full backup of your system, including everything that is stored on the main drive, as well as the system reserved partition.

Robelene Win, Jan 10, 2019
Thema:

How to open manually created backup files?

1. How to open manually created backup files? - Similar Threads - open manually created

2. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it: I'm wondering if I want to create a windows backup and I choose the D drive which where I already have some documents on it, the backup will automatically delete the files or will create an folder and the other stuff next to the folder I already have on it? I just have a...
  3. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it: I'm wondering if I want to create a windows backup and I choose the D drive which where I already have some documents on it, the backup will automatically delete the files or will create an folder and the other stuff next to the folder I already have on it? I just have a...
  4. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Need help in creating manual backup of Windows OS.

Need help in creating manual backup of Windows OS.: I want to create manual backup of My Windows 10 laptop and Windows 7 desktop. How can I do it? Can I transfer my Windows 10 to my Windows 7 desktop through my laptop? Do I need hidden folders too?...
  6. How to create a universal backup ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to create a universal backup ?: Hi, I want to create a universal backup so that I can restore Windows 10 on any machine with a different hardware. I have heard that apparently Windows 10 is better with hardware changes now in comparison to Windows 7 where system would either bluescreen or be stuck in a...
  7. Windows 10 manual file backup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 manual file backup?: Can drag and drop folders in Windows 10 to an external hard drive to use as backup and what folders should backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-manual-file-backup/f629b617-fe56-4b30-80c6-eb9e091a71ed
  8. Windows file backup not working manually

Windows file backup not working manually: I have been using the windows backup program to backup my files manually weekly. After the last windows update the system not longer updates. I added a different external hard drive and it actually regressed to showing the last backup was in February. Have done nothing else...
  9. Backup files that Windows creates with file history

Backup files that Windows creates with file history: Does anyone know where I can see the created Backup files that Windows creates with the file history function?? I defined my file history to backup to NAS, but I can't find the files there and also found no function to see the used share in the settings... *Think 127246
  10. How do I create a backup of system and data files?

How do I create a backup of system and data files?: Pardon me if this is a question already addressed in the forum. I've looked at the tutorials including "How to Create a System Image in Windows 10" and am not sure that what I want to do is totally addressed. A redirect or reference to a URL away from this forum is fine. I...