Windows 10: How to open multiple images in same instance of Photo Viewer?

Discus and support How to open multiple images in same instance of Photo Viewer? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi everyone, this is my first post at the TenForums! *Biggrin Ok, here's my problem: In the previous versions of Windows it was possible to select... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by h3k, Oct 7, 2015.

1. H3K
    h3k Win User

How to open multiple images in same instance of Photo Viewer?

Hi everyone, this is my first post at the TenForums! *Biggrin

Ok, here's my problem: In the previous versions of Windows it was possible to select multiple pictures in a folder and when I hit enter, it opened a single instance of Photo Viewer. Then I could go left or right and it only showed me the pictures I selected. In Windows 10 however, selecting multiple pictures and hitting enter opens up multiple instances of Photo Viewer.

Is there a way to fix this issue?

:)

2. Windows Mediaplayer plays image as movie

Thanks.

One of them will be enough. The 1st one adds WPV to "Open with..." dialog and the 2nd fix from my site adds WPV to "Default Programs" / "Default Apps" which inturn makes it available in "Open With".

The 2nd fix has another advantage. When you multi-select image files and open them, all the images open in a single WPV window where you can use the arrow keys or the prev/next buttons to cycle through the images. This is how WPV is supposed to work.

Whereas if you use the 1st fix, multi-selecting files would open multiple instances of WPV due to missing
    DropTarget registry value. I have a post on that obscure problem, too:
    Fix Windows Photo Viewer Opens Multiple Windows When Multiple Files are Selected in Windows 10

Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 7, 2015
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 7, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Rather than use Photos I changed the Open with to Windows Photo Viewer then double-clicking a file in Pictures opened in Windows Photo Viewer which let me click the arrow to step through all the images in that Folder.

Berton, Oct 7, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    Hi h3k:

Welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

Works the way you first explained it for me, in Build 10240.

Edwin, Oct 7, 2015
  6. H3K
    h3k Win User
    Wow, thanks a lot for replying so quickly! In other forums I sometimes have to wait for days for a reply *Smile

I also have Builld 10240 and Windows Photo Viewer is already set as my default program for all picture formats.
    Stepping through all images in a folder works for me but sometimes I only want to select just a few images in a folder (by clicking on each image while holding down CTRL) and step through this selection in Windows Photo Viewer. When I select 5 images in a folder that contains 100 images and I hit enter, 5 instances of Windows Photo Viewer open up.
    Edwin, did I get this right that on your PC this operation only opens one instance of Photo Viewer?

PS: Since English isn't my mother tongue, maybe sometimes my explanations aren't that easy to follow. Please bear with me *Redface

7. Edwin New Member
    Correct, but I 'drag' selected:

How to open multiple images in same instance of Photo Viewer? [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 7, 2015
  8. H3K
    h3k Win User

I just discovered something weird:
    If I select multiple BMP or PNG files, only one instance of Photo Viewer opens up (I haven't noticed this before because most of the time I deal with JPEGs ).
    But if the file selected last is a JPG then multiple instances of Photo Viewer pop up.
    So even if I select 10 PNGs and then a single JPG -> multiple instances (11 to be exact)
    But 10 JPGs and then one PNG or BMP -> one instance

9. H3K
    h3k Win User
    Alright, I finally found a solution.
    Adding these registry entries did the trick:
    Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpg] @="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Jpeg" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpeg] @="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Jpeg"[/quote] Thanks for your time, see you guys!

10. Thanks for your time, see you guys![/quote]
    Hello,

Don't work for me:
    I open the registri in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpg"
    and in the "folder" put New key??? or new value???

(I have Windows 10 in spanish)

Thanks

antonioroa, Nov 15, 2015
  11. H3K
    h3k Win User
    Inside the "folder" the first value is the (Default) value - it's named (Standard) on my PC because I run Windows 10 in German, don't know what it's called in Spanish (but it's always the first value)

How to open multiple images in same instance of Photo Viewer? [​IMG]

Change this value to PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Jpeg

Thema:

1. How to open multiple images in same instance of Photo Viewer? - Similar Threads - open multiple images

2. Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background: Hello There,I have this issue on my Windows 11 wherein it opens up multiple copies of the same application. In the screenshot from this link that I only opened Photoshop without any tabs or design being active, and yet it shows multiple instances of the same application in...
  3. Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background: Hello There,I have this issue on my Windows 11 wherein it opens up multiple copies of the same application. In the screenshot from this link that I only opened Photoshop without any tabs or design being active, and yet it shows multiple instances of the same application in...
  4. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program: I have a portable and an installed instance of the same internet browser, Firefox. I am trying to make Windows register both Firefox instances to the Open With program list in the context menu of the file. The file I'm trying to open is a pdf. When I try to choose the program...
  5. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program: I have a portable and an installed instance of the same internet browser, Firefox. I am trying to make Windows register both Firefox instances to the Open With program list in the context menu of the file. The file I'm trying to open is a pdf. When I try to choose the program...
  6. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application: How do I force Win 11 to open only 1 instance of an app when I select it's icon from the toolbar or desktop? In Win 10, when I opened an app such as Notepad, I could then open my browser or any other app and Notepad would be minimized on the toolbar unless I had the Windows...
  8. Windows Photo Viewer opens multiple instances when previewing images

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Photo Viewer opens multiple instances when previewing images: [ATTACH]Windows 10 introduced us to the all-new and polished Photos app as its default […] This article Windows Photo Viewer opens multiple instances when previewing images first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Multiple instances of the same folder open

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple instances of the same folder open: I feel kinda dumb asking this, but here goes. Has windows always allowed having multiple instances of the same folder open? I can't remember. I can open the same folder from a desktop shortcut in an unlimited amount of instances. I can find my desktop toolbar filling up...
  10. Can't open photos on image viewer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't open photos on image viewer: Hey guys, I can't open photos on image viewer from yesterday. [img] Regards. 82902