Windows 10: How to open News and Interests links in your default browser; Not Edge

Discus and support How to open News and Interests links in your default browser; Not Edge in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A couple of days back, Microsoft announced that it will be rolling out its new feature, News and Interests for Windows 10. Although the announcement of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 3, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to open News and Interests links in your default browser; Not Edge

A couple of days back, Microsoft announced that it will be rolling out its new feature, News and Interests for Windows 10. Although the announcement of the feature was made in January earlier this year, it is only now that people would be able to get their hands on it.

How to open News and Interests links in your default browser; Not Edge Open-News-and-Interests-links-in-your-default-browser.png

News and Interests is basically a handy news-feed widget that sits on your Taskbar providing you with the latest and greatest in categories that you find interesting. It is expected to be made public from next month’s Patch Tuesday’s update. In my opinion, this will end up easing the work for a lot of people, since all the news that people would want to catch up with would be at their immediate disposal.

The one thing that users can end up finding annoying with this is that any link opened via this new addition would end up opening in Microsoft Edge, irrespective of what the user’s default browser is. While this may not seem like a problem to you if Microsoft Edge is your default browser, it could be if you have set some other browser as your default. Today we will be discussing how users can open links from News and Interests in your default browser be it Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or any other.

Open News and Interests links in default browser

The process requires you to download a third-party application named EdgeDeflector, a pretty self-explanatory name in the context of things. EdgeDeflector is an open-sourced application that enables links to open up in the user’s browser of choice, thus overwriting the program’s setting of using Microsoft Edge for the purpose. Its use is not limited to the News and Interest section in the toolbar; features like Cortana can make use of it too.

All you have to do to restrict links from opening on Microsoft Edge even when your default, preferred choice of browser is Chrome, or some other browser, is download and install the EdgeDeflector app.

Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn’t allow automatic installation for this application. Thus, upon downloading EdgeReflector from the official GitHub page, you have to follow the steps below:

Open the application and grant permission to run on your computer.

Open your System settings by searching for them in the search pane or pressing the Windows and ‘I’ keys together.

Select the ‘Apps’ section and further click on Default apps.

How to open News and Interests links in your default browser; Not Edge default-apps.png

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select Choose default apps by protocol.

How to open News and Interests links in your default browser; Not Edge choose-by-protocol.png

From the list of apps presented here, locate Microsoft Edge and click on the application icon to the right of Edge’s tag.

How to open News and Interests links in your default browser; Not Edge locate-edge.png

You will then be given some options to choose from. Select EdgeDeflector and close the window.

How to open News and Interests links in your default browser; Not Edge select-EdgeDeflector.png

After having implemented the above changes, every time you try to open a link from the News and Interest section, it would open in your default browser. As mentioned above, the changes are pervasive to all the links that you will henceforth open on your computer i.e., all the links will work on the browser of your choice, be it Chrome, Opera, or Firefox.

If you don’t want to use the News and Interests widget altogether, the process to disable it is pretty simple too. All you have to do is:

• Right-click anywhere on your Taskbar.
    • Locate News and Interests and hover your cursor over it.
    • This will further provide you with a list of options; select ‘Turn off’ and the News and Interests section will disappear from your Taskbar.

I hope this post helps you. You can download EdgeDeflector from GitHub here.

How to open News and Interests links in your default browser; Not Edge Open-News-and-Interests-links-in-your-default-browser.png
    This article How to open News and Interests links in your default browser; Not Edge first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 3, 2021
  2. ._151 Win User

Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser

Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser. I have always had them open in edge when I clicked on them, now they say Unable to Open
    HTML:
    , I checked that edge is still my default browser.

._151, May 3, 2021
  3. Fabler2 Win User
    News & Interest default browser issue

I don't think so as it's dependant on Edge.

How to open News and Interests links in your default browser; Not Edge [​IMG]

Fabler2, May 3, 2021
  4. Ann McNew Win User

Default Browser Keeps Changing to Edge

Yes, just to confirm again, when I open FireFox before opening any other link/program/app - I get the pop-up to make FireFox my default browser and I check the box and confirm. If I also complete all of Erika's suggestions:

• Choose default apps by file type
    • Choose default apps by protocol
    • Set defaults by app
    Then for THAT session, everything works ok. But when I shutdown and restart, it all reverts to Edge - the default browser and all my selections for default app by file type, default app by protocol and defaults by app..

If I ONLY open FireFox before opening any other link/program/app and make it my default browser, but then click on a link within an Outlook mail - the link will open in Edge.

What confuses me about Erika's sentence: "Set your preferred default browser to skip
    Choose default apps by file type." is the part about 'set your preferred default browser to skip' is this a setting within FireFox after making it my default browser? Because I am changing default apps by file type on the Windows Settings
    page and choosing http and https to be connected to FireFox instead of Edge.

Regardless, any changes that I make are changed back to Edge after a shutdown or restart and I am completely frustrated by having to reset everything each time I start my computer.

Ann McNew, May 3, 2021
Thema:

1. How to open News and Interests links in your default browser; Not Edge - Similar Threads - open News Interests

2. "News and Interest" does not open browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "News and Interest" does not open browser: On my work-provided computer, news and interests shows weather information for the wrong location. Trying to figure out what location it is pulling data from, I click on it, there are two popups. The first says "we're having trouble loading your feed" and then "you might be...
  3. "News and Interest" does not open browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "News and Interest" does not open browser: On my work-provided computer, news and interests shows weather information for the wrong location. Trying to figure out what location it is pulling data from, I click on it, there are two popups. The first says "we're having trouble loading your feed" and then "you might be...
  4. "News and Interest" does not open browser

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Stop edge from opening links and use default browser

Stop edge from opening links and use default browser: What is MS's problem with respecting my wishes to use a browser other than Edge to open links. Since this last update Edge is opening more for other links than usually. It was annoying before and now it is unbearable. I have my preferences, and Microsoft is not one of them in...
  6. Stop edge from opening links and use default browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop edge from opening links and use default browser: What is MS's problem with respecting my wishes to use a browser other than Edge to open links. Since this last update Edge is opening more for other links than usually. It was annoying before and now it is unbearable. I have my preferences, and Microsoft is not one of them in...
  7. Stop edge from opening links and use default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. News and Interests pages open in Edge, but Chrome is default browser

in Windows 10 Support
    News and Interests pages open in Edge, but Chrome is default browser: Is there anyway to make the news pages in the news and interests panel on the taskbar open in my default browser (chrome) instead of edge? I'm running windows 10 home 20H2 64-bit. Thanks :) 181182
  9. News & Interest default browser issue

News & Interest default browser issue: When Clicking a card, say a traffic or weather card, in News & Interests the app? opens Edge However, my default browser is Vivaldi! Why is this happening? Can I change this behaviour so that Vivaldi is used under all circumstances? 172271
  10. Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser: Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser. I have always had them open in edge when I clicked on them, now they say Unable to Open [html], I checked that edge is still my default browser....