Windows 10: How to open the same program in multiple desktops?

Discus and support How to open the same program in multiple desktops? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I am using multiple virtual desktops in Windows 10. I want to open a program for example an excel file for work in one desktop. I want also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Abdulaziz _H, Dec 23, 2020.

1. How to open the same program in multiple desktops?

Hi,

I am using multiple virtual desktops in Windows 10.

I want to open a program for example an excel file for work in one desktop.

I want also to open another excel file for personal in a second desktop.

So I get one excel file on each desktop.

how do I do that?

:)

Abdulaziz _H, Dec 23, 2020
  2. Mala_S Win User

virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Virtual desktops lets you create multiple, separate desktops that each can display different open windows and apps. Multiple desktops are great for quickly switching desktops. The idea of having multiple virtual desktops is being able to order programs
    according to a set of tasks.

PC can’t have different virtual desktop on each monitor. However, we can
    configure the taskbar for multiple displays to send windows from one monitor to another. We can customize Windows to have a taskbar shown on only one display, and a different taskbar on the other display. To do that, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Taskbar Settings
    • Scroll down to Multiple displays section and choose
      Taskbar where window is open under Show taskbar buttons on option.

By choosing that particular option in Settings, you can set its independent taskbar in addition to your primary display. Only the open windows are shown on the taskbar in that particular display.

As a workaround, we can create a new profile to switch your main display to another. By doing that, you can switch between profiles which will be having different displays in it.
    To do that, follow the below mentioned steps.

• Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Graphics properties > Select
      Display > make changes to change your main displays > click on
      Save profile
      > assign a name to it.
    • You can create multiple profiles to make different monitors as main displays each time.
    • To apply the profile, right click anywhere on the
      desktop and select Graphics Options > Profiles > in there you can select the new account which you have created to switch the display.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Dec 23, 2020
  3. chezy525 Win User
    Windows 10 Virtual Desktops and multiple program instances

I'm having an issue with the new Virtual Desktops in Windows 10. For example:

1. From Desktop 1, double click the file "test1.xlsx". This will open the file in a new instance of Excel (specifically 2010, in my case), on Desktop 1.
    2. From Desktop 2, double click the file "test2.xlsx". This will change the desktop to Desktop 1 and open the file in the same instance of Excel as from step 1.

I've found this to also be true with Notepad++, so my guess is that this behavior occurs with any program that opens multiple files in a single instance. However, these are the two programs I generally use in this way.

I've found a number of ways to disable DDE for Excel, but this isn't what I want to do. If I open a second file from a desktop that already contains an instance of the program that should open it, I want to use that instance.

I've found manual ways of opening a second instance, moving it to the correct desktop, and then opening the file in that instance. However, the process is slightly different for each program and overall is, at best, clunky. Not to mention that now a third file will open in the most recently used instance, and not necessarily the correct one, requiring the whole process to start over again.

chezy525, Dec 23, 2020
  4. How to open the same program in multiple desktops?

i cant open multiple apps on windows 10

Hi Jacklyn,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10. 

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing on Windows 10, we will certainly help you with this issue. 

In order to assist you better, I would like to know the following queries:

• What happens when you try to open multiple apps?

• What exact error message are you get when you try to open multiple apps?

• Are you referring to Windows app or Desktop app?

I would suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps:

• Open multiple apps that you want.

• Right click on the task bar.

• From the jump menu select Show all windows side by side.
    I also suggest you to run app troubleshooter and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Please get back to us with the above information, so that we can assist you better.

Thank you.

JuzarAli1709, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

How to open the same program in multiple desktops?

1. How to open the same program in multiple desktops? - Similar Threads - open same program

2. How to use the same webcam on multiple programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use the same webcam on multiple programs: I want to use my webcam on both obs and microsoft teams, however, when I use it on obs, I cannot use it on teams and vice versa. How can I use in both programs? Is there an third party software that allows this?...
  3. How to use the same webcam on multiple programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to use the same webcam on multiple programs: I want to use my webcam on both obs and microsoft teams, however, when I use it on obs, I cannot use it on teams and vice versa. How can I use in both programs? Is there an third party software that allows this?...
  4. How to open the same application on a different desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to open the same application on a different desktop?: So far the only answer by Microsoft to this recurring question which has popped up over the years in many different posts is to simply lock those posts to conveniently sweep the issue under the rug, allow you to vote on the question to conveniently sweep the issue under the...
  5. How to open the same application on a different desktop?

How to open the same application on a different desktop?: So far the only answer by Microsoft to this recurring question which has popped up over the years in many different posts is to simply lock those posts to conveniently sweep the issue under the rug, allow you to vote on the question to conveniently sweep the issue under the...
  6. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program: I have a portable and an installed instance of the same internet browser, Firefox. I am trying to make Windows register both Firefox instances to the Open With program list in the context menu of the file. The file I'm trying to open is a pdf. When I try to choose the program...
  7. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

"Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program: I have a portable and an installed instance of the same internet browser, Firefox. I am trying to make Windows register both Firefox instances to the Open With program list in the context menu of the file. The file I'm trying to open is a pdf. When I try to choose the program...
  8. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Desktop Icons Same for Multiple Accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Desktop Icons Same for Multiple Accounts: Hi, I have created two accounts, one administrator and one standard account, on my Windows. The problem I'm facing is that one account is able to access desktop for the other. I don't want to see the other account's desktop stuff and vice versa. How can i do that? I also...
  10. How can I change multiple file icons opening with the same program?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I change multiple file icons opening with the same program?: [ATTACH] I tried changing sql files to a new custom icon (using FileTypesMan by NirSoft). The issue is that now php files use the same icon - if I change php files, it changes sql. Basically, multiple file types are linked together - how can I unlink them (while still...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. multiple desktops same app diff desktop

2. open the same app in two desktops windows 10