Windows 10: How to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10

Discus and support How to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]VMDK, VHDX, and VHD are file formats of Virtual drives. They are unique and unlike other files, you can not just double-click on them to open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Feb 21, 2022.

1. WinClub New Member

How to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10

How to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10 VMDK-VHDX-VHD-files.png
    VMDK, VHDX, and VHD are file formats of Virtual drives. They are unique and unlike other files, you can not just double-click on them to open the file. This is a complete guide on how to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10. What are VMDK, VHDX, and VHD files? VHD or Virtual Hard […]

This article How to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Feb 21, 2022

2. DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file.

Thanks for the tip but it's been a long time since I made the script and I don't remember much.

I'd like to check everything with you.

I read this tutorial to create the VHDX Create and Set Up New VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10. and this Problem creating GPT VHD automatically even if I haven't understood much.

For the installation of windows on the vhd I had found a tutorial but now I can't find it.

Can you help me find the remaining tutorials?

Do you know if there is a script already ready?

In the meantime, I fix the script a little (which is not finished) and place it as soon as it is done.

This is the steps in the script

1. backup bcd
    2. create vhdx
    3. apply windows image to vhdx (install?)
    4. add entry in bcd
    5. restore bcd

einstein1969, Feb 21, 2022
  3. How do I convert a VHD to VMDK?

I have made a VHD using DISK2VHD and I wanted to know how to convert the VHD to a VMware VMDK file.

I have tried to download VSphere Converter, but my VMware account refused to send me my account activation emails.

If there is any other software or converters I can use, that would be great

-Dare.

DareDeveloper, Feb 21, 2022
  4. How to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10

Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

There is no problem with File Backups. It is the System Image Backup .vhdx file which I am trying to view, using it to mount a VHD (Drive MHow to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10 :) which appears empty to File Manager. As you suggested I had a good look at the W7 tutorial for file mounting, and explored some of its links, but to no avail.

I also tried to mount the VHD with Diskpart from elevated command prompt: Diskpart; select vdisk file=filename.vhdx; attach vdisk. There was no need to assign a drive letter as Windows remembered it, which is annoying. M: was again empty.

Then, Windows PowerShell: Mount-VHD -Path "[location of vhd]". This cmdlet failed with error message "Mount-VHD is not recognised as the name of a cmdlet ...". Googling this, I found this could be due to the absence of a Hyper-V module for Windows PowerShell. Now, I know that Hyper-V Virtualization does not come with W10 Home but does with W10 Pro. Could my problem be related? Could it be that the image file is vdhx rather than vdh which I assume was the format in W7? I am out of my depth here, and don't want to experiment without advice.

Out of interest I checked UEFI Bios and found Virtualisation Technology to be disabled, and Hyper-V missing from the Programs and Features list in Control Panel. With some trepidation I tried Enabling Virtualisation. Programs and Features list was unchanged, as was the PowerShell outcome and the zero content of M: after attaching via Disk Management. I returned Virtualisation to Disabled.

Drive M:'s properties show its partition type to be GUID, not MBR.

Grateful for any further thoughts. Thanks.

Old Novice, Feb 21, 2022
Thema:

How to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10

1. How to open VMDK, VHDX, VHD files in Windows 11/10 - Similar Threads - open VMDK VHDX

2. convert a VMDK into a VHD ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    convert a VMDK into a VHD ?: Is there any manual way to convert a VMDK to a VHD ?I have tried all the tools Starwind, Winimage, disk2vhd etc they all generate a VHD file but when I create a ne Virtual Computer & attach the disk none works.I get repeated errors "The virtual machine "New Virtual Machine"...
  3. How to convert Hyper-V VHDX file to VHD using PowerShell

in Windows 10 News
    How to convert Hyper-V VHDX file to VHD using PowerShell: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you have a VHDX file and you want to make it compatible with some other virtual machine that supports VHD format, then this post shows, how you can convert the Hyper-V VHDX file to VHD using Windows PowerShell so [...] This post How to convert Hyper-V...
  4. How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you different ways using which you can natively mount or unmount VHD and VHDX virtual hard disk files in Windows 10. VHD and VHDX files cannot be mounted from removable media that isn’t formatted [...] This post How to Mount or...
  5. How to create and set up new VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to create and set up new VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Today, we will see how to create and set up (initialized and formatted) a new VHD and VHDX virtual hard disk file in Windows 10 using Disk Management. But before we begin, we will see what is a VHD and [...] This post How to create and set up new VHD or VHDX...
  6. How to BitLocker encrypt a VHD or VHDX Container file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to BitLocker encrypt a VHD or VHDX Container file in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]You can use BitLocker to encrypt a VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) file mounted as a drive. In this post, we will show you how to create a portable BitLocker encrypted container file using a mounted VHD or VHDX [...] This post How to BitLocker encrypt a VHD...
  7. Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10: How to: Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10 How to Auto-Mount VHD or VHDX File at Startup in Windows 10 VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file format which represents a virtual hard disk drive (HDD). It may contain what is found on a physical HDD, such as...
  8. Create BitLocker Encrypted Container File with VHD or VHDX in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create BitLocker Encrypted Container File with VHD or VHDX in Windows: How to: Create BitLocker Encrypted Container File with VHD or VHDX in Windows How to Create BitLocker Encrypted Container File with a VHD or VHDX File in Windows You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can help...
  9. Create and Set Up New VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create and Set Up New VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10: How to: Create and Set Up New VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10 How to Create and Set Up New VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10 VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file format which represents a virtual hard disk drive (HDD). It may contain what is found on a physical HDD, such as...
  10. Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10: How to: Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX File in Windows 10 How to Mount or Unmount VHD and VHDX File in Windows 10 VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file format which represents a virtual hard disk drive (HDD). It may contain what is found on a physical HDD, such as disk...