Windows 10: How to organize folders on ext. drive for back up from various sources

Discus and support How to organize folders on ext. drive for back up from various sources in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Planning to use one external drive for storing images and file backups from various sources: 2 laptops, 3 external drives using Macrium/AOMEI (images)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jason2004, Dec 21, 2020.

1. jason2004 Win User

How to organize folders on ext. drive for back up from various sources

Planning to use one external drive for storing images and file backups from various sources: 2 laptops, 3 external drives using Macrium/AOMEI (images) and SyncBackFree (files).

Any suggestion how to organize backup folders on external drive? Make separate folders for each source and store images and files within?

:)

jason2004, Dec 21, 2020

2. exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Dec 21, 2020
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    Map a network drive folder to my video library

To Include folders using Manage Library Tools, we suggest that you perform the steps below:

• In File Explorer, select or open a library (ex: Videos) you want to include a folder or drive to.
    • Click on the Library Tools Manage tab, and click on the Manage library button in the ribbon.
    • Click on the Add button
    • Browse to and select a folder or drive that you want to include in this library, and click on the Include folder button.
    • When finished, click/tap on OK.
    Keep us updated with the result.

Jelo Sen, Dec 21, 2020
  4. Mohan B P Win User

Toshiba Ext Hard Drive

Hi Tony,

I realize that you are facing the issue connecting the external hard drive in Windows 10, let me assist you.

To assist you better, let us know the following details.

• Which build of Windows 10 is installed in your system?
    • What is the make and model of your system?
    • Do other USB devices are getting connected to the system?

As an initial step if troubleshooting, I suggest you to try connecting the external hard drive through different USB ports and check if it is getting detected, also try connecting the same external hard drive to a different Windows 10 system.

Also, connect the external hard drive to the system and check whether the device is shown in Device Manager.

• Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press
      Enter key.
    • Click on View option and click on Show hidden devices.
    • Check whether the device is shown.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows. We will be glad to assist you.

Mohan B P, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

1. How to organize folders on ext. drive for back up from various sources - Similar Threads - organize folders ext

2. Backing up Folder to SD drive from C:/

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backing up Folder to SD drive from C:/: When I do a backup of a folder that I updated, the entire folder is being transferred as a copy. This never used to happen. Previously only the new files would transfer to the pre-existing backup folder. I would be prompted to only include new files and the backup would get...
  3. Backing up Folder to SD drive from C:/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backing up Folder to SD drive from C:/: When I do a backup of a folder that I updated, the entire folder is being transferred as a copy. This never used to happen. Previously only the new files would transfer to the pre-existing backup folder. I would be prompted to only include new files and the backup would get...
  4. Backing up Folder to SD drive from C:/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Backing up the OneDrive folder to an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backing up the OneDrive folder to an external drive: Hello,I am using Windows 11 with two drives: one for the OS and software, the other for personal files. I also use OneDrive to store my files online. The OneDrive folder is on my second non-OS drive, and I have set it so all the files are also available locally.I want to...
  6. Backing up the OneDrive folder to an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backing up the OneDrive folder to an external drive: Hello,I am using Windows 11 with two drives: one for the OS and software, the other for personal files. I also use OneDrive to store my files online. The OneDrive folder is on my second non-OS drive, and I have set it so all the files are also available locally.I want to...
  7. Modifying WindowsApps Folder ox Ext Drive

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Modifying WindowsApps Folder ox Ext Drive: Hi. I've been battling for hours to get read/write access to my WindowsApps folder on an external drive. I need to run a patch for RE7 from the root directory to get it to work on my PC but the permissions just won't give me access. I've got visibility of the folders and...
  8. how to use my ext drive for updates from Microsoft

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to use my ext drive for updates from Microsoft: my pc is telling me out of disk space for the down load! I want it to use my ext drive now HOW to get it to go on to it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-use-my-ext-drive-for-updates-from-microsoft/e315a474-8ea5-4d20-b63b-c405c569e185
  9. Back Up Folders/Files from Laptop to PC and Google Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back Up Folders/Files from Laptop to PC and Google Drive: Hi. I have a lot of photos on my laptop. I currently back them up using Google Drive, but it seems that means they are all duplicated on my hard drive using up a lot of space - once in their folder and once in the Google Drive folder. I'm not sure if that's right or I'm using...
  10. Back-up of C-Drive: question on various files needed or not needed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back-up of C-Drive: question on various files needed or not needed: Hello, BACKGROUND Have an automated nightly back-up system, for my Dell Desktop, transferring files to a Western Digital External Hard Drive. Backups of my User Data are executing perfectly, for many months. These backups consist of the Desktop, my Contacts, my...