Windows 10: How to overcome 'destination path too long' without changing folder names?

Discus and support How to overcome 'destination path too long' without changing folder names? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. I am trying to do a backup of a software. I have over 3000 files with a 'destination path too long' problem. I cannot change the name because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GadgetMedia, Nov 8, 2020.

1. How to overcome 'destination path too long' without changing folder names?

Hi.

I am trying to do a backup of a software. I have over 3000 files with a 'destination path too long' problem.

I cannot change the name because software will stop working properly.

The software came on an external usb drive and takes up to 700GB of hardware space.

Already have Win32 long paths enabled on my Windows 10.

Is there any software that will enable me to copy all the data safely?

Thank you

:)

GadgetMedia, Nov 8, 2020

2. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command:

Code:
    [b]gpupdate /target:computer /force[/b]
    But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error [b]
    Destination path too long The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder. You can shorten the file name and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path.[/b]
    Thanks in advance.

StavrosStavridis2, Nov 8, 2020
  3. Long Path Setting not working

Seems Enabling Win32 long path to overcome the 260 character restriction has not yet resolved the issue. I have enabled Win32 long path under group policy editor--> Filesystem and also the reg key D word setting but continue to receive error " The file
    name would be too ling for the destination folder....."

aaronvictor, Nov 8, 2020
  4. JayTan08 Win User

How to overcome 'destination path too long' without changing folder names?

Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

Hi my name is Jay, I'm an independent advisor. I'd be happy to help with your issue.

I understand that Long Paths is already enabled in Local Group Policy, can you also do it in the registry as suggested in this article?

https://thegeekpage.com/fix-destination-path-to...

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask questions and keep me on track. I will keep working on this issue until it's resolved, thank you.

Regards,

Jay

Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

JayTan08, Nov 8, 2020
Thema:

How to overcome 'destination path too long' without changing folder names?

1. How to overcome 'destination path too long' without changing folder names? - Similar Threads - overcome 'destination path

2. Destination Path to Long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Destination Path to Long: Hi. I'm a musician and I have to keep my files super organized. With lots of subfolders and long descriptive names. I have looked around for a good solution or an explanation on how it works for Windows 10 for this topic and have found no info that resolves my problem or that...
  3. Destination Path to Long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Destination Path to Long: Hi. I'm a musician and I have to keep my files super organized. With lots of subfolders and long descriptive names. I have looked around for a good solution or an explanation on how it works for Windows 10 for this topic and have found no info that resolves my problem or that...
  4. Destination Path to Long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File name too long for destination folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File name too long for destination folder: I have a parent folder containing multiple subfolders 100+ within. Every folder name is well under 256 characters. I need to transfer this particular parent folder regularly between my computer drives and have had no issue initially. However out of the blue I start receiving...
  6. File name too long for destination folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File name too long for destination folder: I have a parent folder containing multiple subfolders 100+ within. Every folder name is well under 256 characters. I need to transfer this particular parent folder regularly between my computer drives and have had no issue initially. However out of the blue I start receiving...
  7. File name too long for destination folder

8. Destination Path Too Long

Destination Path Too Long: Hello - Does anyone know which builds of Windows 10 Pro support file paths longer than 260 characters on NTFS volumes? Better yet, does anyone know how to remove that limitation? I am using Windows 10 Pro ver. 20H2 It seems that in this version the group policy "Enable...
  9. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path: I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command: gpupdate /target:computer /force But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error Destination path too long The file name(s)...
  10. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

in Windows 10 Customization
    Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path: I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command: gpupdate /target:computer /force But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error Destination path too long The file name(s)...