Windows 10: How to Partition a 1TB external Hard Drive?

Discus and support How to Partition a 1TB external Hard Drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am new to the forum. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question, but hoping someone here can direct me or might know. I purchased... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MizmelzyWI, Feb 26, 2016.

1. How to Partition a 1TB external Hard Drive?

I am new to the forum. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question, but hoping someone here can direct me or might know.

I purchased a 1TB hard drive to place media files on it so that I could plug it into my DVD player which has a USB port. I made sure to format the hard drive to Fat32. What I can surmise is that the 1TB hard drive is too big for the DVD player to read. I plug it in and it says Device Not Supported. But I've successfully plugged in an external card reader and used a 16GB SD card to place files on and it reads them fine. So I'm thinking it's the size of the drive that is the issue.

Someone who is more computer savvy told me I might have to partition the hard drive into two partitions. One partition 16gb and then the other partition with whatever is left. They did say they were not sure if there was a way to set it up so the 16gb Partition is what is recognized first when plugged into the DVD player. This way I would transfer movies I want to watch to the 16 GB partition, and transfer them over.

Now when I search hard disk partitions in Windows 10 the manager comes up and I can see the hard drive, but I can not change the size to partition it. It's grayed out. Is there a freeware program that works with Windows 10 that will split the hard drive into two partitions in sizes I specify, and make sure that the 16GB partition is the first one loaded or seen? And if I set it up that way when I plug it into my computer will the computer see both partitions?

Thanks so much!
    Melissa

:)

MizmelzyWI, Feb 26, 2016

2. Repartitioning an external 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive

I have an external 1TB external hard drive but it only says that the size of the drive is 450 gigs. How do I resize and merge the partition into a 1TB partition. I recently tried to clone the partitions from my laptop onto it which is probably why this
    has happened?

Shawn Robert Robinson, Feb 26, 2016
  3. alex_42_ Win User
    System image backup, error 0x80042407, decrease backup disk size.

After i backed up my computer i wanted to test it, it is the first time I have ever backed up a computer. So I got a oldish hard drive (1 TB), which is smaller than my real hard drive.

I backed it up on a Toshiba (1TB), and de oldish hard drive is a samsung HD103UJ (1TB).

So i got this error message, looked it up on internet and saw that even though the back up it self is smaller than the hard drive, if the extern backup drive is bigger or as big as the extern hard drive it won't work. So i tried to partition the extern backup
    hard drive. This didn't seem to help the problem.

I partitioned it to 3 partitions. 310GB with the actual back up, 480GB NTFS, and 210GB free space.

I have seen somewhere that partitions won't do the trick and the computer will still see the needed space on the hard drive as more than an entire TB.

So is there a way to make the extern hard drive look smaller (aka 900GB) for windows so I can test the system image backup?

Also i have read that changing your hard drive might be a problem. I wondered if this is true, and if this means that I can't test it on a other hard drive or is there a (hopefully easy) way around it.

alex_42_, Feb 26, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

How to Partition a 1TB external Hard Drive?

NavyLCDR, Feb 26, 2016
  5. I have downloaded the program, but the smallest size partition it will let me create is 27gb. When I specify 16000mb it reverts back to 27000mb. Is there a way to make it smaller?

I can try with the smallest size that it will let me do but not sure if it will work.

Also tried to figure out how to specify the smallest partition as the primary?

Thanks!
    Melissa

MizmelzyWI, Feb 27, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    1. With this same Partition Manager program try to shrink the 27GB partition to 16GB

2. Setting a partition to primary can be done in Disk Management. Note that you can only have a maximum of 4 primaries on an MBR disk and that primaries are really only required for active partitions.

7. Well I managed to get it down to 16gb and partitioned. I then plugged it in and still said device not supported. So I guess it's the hard drive. It sees it but says it's not supported so I don't know if it's because it's USB 3.0 and this DVD player is a couple years old and may have USB 2.0. It's a cheaper Coby DVD player that I got through a company loyalty program. So I tried. I guess I'll just have to use my 4GB USB and transfer movies to watch onto it one at a time. I don't have a Smart TV still have an old Tube TV. So one day I'll be able to use it as the hard drive has wireless capabilities.

Melissa

MizmelzyWI, Feb 27, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

Did you try it on USB2

9. Kyhi Win User
    Please allow me to explain the limitations of what you are trying to do..

USB Sticks and SDCards are Flash memory, flagged as removable..

Fat32 supports up to a 32GB partition size..

You are trying to connect a 1TB Fixed Disk HDD to a USB Port on a DVD Player, that most likely is not providing enough power to spin the HDD, let only read it..

If the DVD Player requires the media format as Fat32, then the most the DVD Player can support is 32GB anyway
    And I also assume the DVD Player does not support Partitions, as Flash memory does not support partitions either..

So the 1TB drive is overkill for the DVD player...

If you must use the 1TB HDD rather then a 32GB USB Stick, try adding a powered USB adapter to provided enough power to the HDD//

10. I thought that might be the other problem was the power. I have a Seagate hard drive that has it's own battery within it to power it. So that's what was confusing me. I don't know if the battery power only kicks in when it's not plugged in or if it is plugged in but not getting enough power will the battery still kick in? When I plug it in it shows that the battery light is on and green. I have a Seagate Wireless Plus hard drive.

Where would I find a powered usb adapter. I searched for it in google and I come up with hubs. I do have a powered usb hub. But not sure how that would work.

Thanks for your help.

Melissa

MizmelzyWI, Feb 27, 2016
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    Try the powered USB hub. That may work.

Thema:

1. How to Partition a 1TB external Hard Drive? - Similar Threads - Partition 1TB external

2. External hard drive blocks USB drive partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive blocks USB drive partition: I've just got an external hard drive, and it works well with my PC, everything's good, except since I got it I can't use USB because it basically blocks it. I don't get any notifications nor does it show up in disk management, hardware manager, etc. I've already tried making...
  3. External hard drive blocks USB drive partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive blocks USB drive partition: I've just got an external hard drive, and it works well with my PC, everything's good, except since I got it I can't use USB because it basically blocks it. I don't get any notifications nor does it show up in disk management, hardware manager, etc. I've already tried making...
  4. CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive: Hi - could an external hard drive get damaged when CHKDSK is running and the computer is shutdown is performed from the Start menu or by pressing the power button? Background: I suspect a process was running when a 1T WD passport with 670 GB of data became disconnected...
  5. Toshiba 1Tb external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Toshiba 1Tb external hard drive: Drive won't be recognized by Windows 10. Toshiba states it's because of a windows 10 update. How do I remedy this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toshiba-1tb-external-hard-drive/c97c98c0-f558-41d9-9099-f8690942888e
  6. Removing partitions on External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Removing partitions on External Hard Drive: I want to use the HDD from my old laptop as External drive. After formatting former “C:” partition and “Recovery” partitions separately, in the Disk Management I see: Disk 1 Basic 931.50GB Online 260MB Healthy EFI System Partition New Volume E: 919.48 GB NTFS...
  7. Removing partitions on external hard drives?

Removing partitions on external hard drives?: I have several laptop hard drives that I access on my desktop PC via a usb hub, I have managed to format them and they work perfectly. My problem is that 2 of these hard drives have 2 partitions which I have also formatted, but the partitions show up as separate drives in...
  8. Toshiba external hard drive (HDD)1TB

Toshiba external hard drive (HDD)1TB: Hello, I have the above HDD and used it for storage for some while. I can no longer access the device. When I connect it to my laptop a light inside the unit flashes indicating it is receiving power. However, when I try to access the unit through "this pc" it is not showing...
  9. Iomega 1TB External Hard Drive

Iomega 1TB External Hard Drive: I have an Iomega 1TB External Hard Drive that I cannot get to connect to my new computer. What do I need to do to get it to connect? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/iomega-1tb-external-hard-drive/5860dd62-9401-40e1-9671-23a6f9939118
  10. How to put 2 partitions on an external hard drive.

How to put 2 partitions on an external hard drive.: My son would like to create a dual boot operating system. We understand (at least we think) that we need to create 2 partitions on a single drive and install one operating system on each. Hopefully that will give him a dual boot menu when he starts up ? Our problem so far...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 1 terabyte external hard drive partion