Windows 10: How to Partition bitlocker encrypted System drive C: on my OEM PC?

Discus and support How to Partition bitlocker encrypted System drive C: on my OEM PC? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am now on Windows 10 Home version 1909 with the recently acquired DELL Inspiron 3280 AIO that was delivered on Christmas day. I am just familiarising... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jumanji, Dec 30, 2019.

1. jumanji Win User

How to Partition bitlocker encrypted System drive C: on my OEM PC?

I am now on Windows 10 Home version 1909 with the recently acquired DELL Inspiron 3280 AIO that was delivered on Christmas day. I am just familiarising with Windows 10.

This PC has a 916.5 GB bitlocker encrypted drive C: Screenshot below.

How to Partition bitlocker encrypted System drive C: on my OEM PC? [​IMG]

Is there a simple method to shrink C: to about 100GB so that I can partition the rest of the space for my data?

I understand that WDM can shrink to a maximum 50% and that if only it does not encounter unmovable data.I would require almost 800GB for the data partitions.

The backup of current C: volume ( 900+GB) done with AOMEI Backupper is a fat 92GB and that because if the partition is encrypted it does a sector by sector backup of the whole volume.. That apart, I tried AOMEI Partition Assistant to check whether it can shrink C: but unfortunately the Resize/ Move volume is greyed out. May be it will not shrink a bitlocker encrypted volume.

( The bitlocker encryption has been done by the OEM DELL and not me. As I was familiarising with the machine, ( I don't know what is where in Windows 10 *Smile ) I ran across the following screen and backed up the Recovery Key.

This came in handy when I disabled Secure Boot in UEFI Bios. I was immediately locked out and asked to key in the recovery key to complete the boot process and gain access to the drive. I came to the above screen from Device encryption below.

I have also created the Recovery Drive on a 32GB Flash drive to reinstall Windows 10 ( but it has not yet been tested *Smile)

Thats all the inputs I can give for now.

:)

jumanji, Dec 30, 2019
  2. Sophie707 Win User

How to use Bitlocker to encrypt (and automatically decrypt) a single but partitioned hard-drive (C and D partitions)?

Hey Solar Eclipse,

I was brave enough today to enable Bitlocker on both my C: and D: partitions of my hard-drive.

Everything went well, following your instructions.

I enabled Bitlocker first on the C: partition (where Windows 10 is installed), and then on the D: partition.

While enabling Bitlocker on the C: partition, the partition unlocked (and continues to unlock) automatically - a Bitlocker password was not requested.

Regards the D: partition, it also unlocks automatically - the wizard for enabling Bitlocker on the D: partition had automatic unlocking as an option, which I chose.

So other than not having to input a Bitlocker password while enabling Bitlocker on the C: partition, your instructions are exact. So I'm marking your post as an answer.

Many thanks!!

Sophie707, Dec 30, 2019
  3. Activate Bitlocker for data drive partition

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

BitLocker
    Drive Encryption is one of the best security tools of Windows operating system. This feature of
    Windows 10 safeguards your stored data in fixed or removable drives of your storage system. When you turn on
    BitLocker it saves data on any drive and encrypt it automatically. When you encrypt drive, it
    protects everything with passwords on that drive whether it is file or document. In today’s
    Windows 10 tutorial, we will take you through Encrypt Drive Partition using Bitlocker process with
    BitLocker which will support your system in protecting its data.

Get Into BitLocker Drive Encryption Window in Windows 10

To Encrypt Drive Partition using Bitlocker you need to access BitLocker Encryption Window First. For this,

• Open Cortana Search.
    • Type BitLocker in the search field.
    • And in the search results select Manage BitLocker option.
    • BitLocker
      Drive Encryption window pops up on your screen.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Dec 30, 2019
  4. How to Partition bitlocker encrypted System drive C: on my OEM PC?

Can't use BitLocker on Tablet to encrypt system drive C:

on my Tablet (TrekStor SurfTab Duo W1 WiFi) i upgraded Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro specially to be able to use BitLocker.

now it turns out, that BitLocker isn't able to encrypt my internal system drive C:

to me for an unknown reason.

i know, because the tablet doesn't have a permanent keyboard attached, BitLocker may see that as not fulfilling the minimum requirement.

but i can force to ask for a PIN via BitLocker policies.
    but BitLocker always give me that error message after a check:

"[Window Title]
    BitLocker Drive Encryption

[Main Instruction]
    BitLocker could not be enabled.

[Content]
    The data drive specified is not set to automatically unlock on the current computer and cannot be unlocked automatically.

C: was not encrypted.

[Close]

"

the strange thing is, if i force BitLocker to use a PIN and BitLocker starts to check the system, after a reboot i get the mask that ask me for the PIN as expected - so that part is working, but after login, i get again that error message.

and when i do the encryption of drive c: without let BitLocker check the system first, after a reboot, i'll get asked for the PIN - so far so good, but then after the it looks like Windows will boot as usual, windows boots into recovery mode and prepares the
    recovery decryption of drive C: and asking me for the long BitLocker recovery key.
    so, what the **** is going on. why isn't BitLocker working on that system drive on my Tablet?

system recovery is enabled and working,

TPM 2.0 is avtive and working - that's, what tpm.msc is telling.

the PIN is working as well, when i want to have a PIN.
    BitLocker can encrypt and unlock encrypted external drives and SD cards without any problems.

i only have trouble with system drive C:

any hints, how i can manage BitLocker encrypting my system drice C: ?

beta-tester, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

How to Partition bitlocker encrypted System drive C: on my OEM PC?

1. How to Partition bitlocker encrypted System drive C: on my OEM PC? - Similar Threads - Partition bitlocker encrypted

2. Bitlocker encrypted drive inaccessible after extending partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encrypted drive inaccessible after extending partition: So I had an external USB HD with 2 partitions:large partition - Bitlocker encryptedsmall partition - unencryptedYesterday I decided that I would have the entire HD encrypted, so in Windows 11 Disk Manager I deleted the unencrypted partition and extended the Bitlocker...
  3. Bitlocker encrypted drive inaccessible after extending partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encrypted drive inaccessible after extending partition: So I had an external USB HD with 2 partitions:large partition - Bitlocker encryptedsmall partition - unencryptedYesterday I decided that I would have the entire HD encrypted, so in Windows 11 Disk Manager I deleted the unencrypted partition and extended the Bitlocker...
  4. Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition: HiI had a drive partition "E" encrypted with BitLocker. My laptop broke and I had to swap the disk on a new laptop. Is there any way to recover data from that encrypted partition?It shows as an empty partition on the new laptop and I can also add more data to it, I don't know...
  5. Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition: HiI had a drive partition "E" encrypted with BitLocker. My laptop broke and I had to swap the disk on a new laptop. Is there any way to recover data from that encrypted partition?It shows as an empty partition on the new laptop and I can also add more data to it, I don't know...
  6. How to encrypt my pc with bitlocker!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to encrypt my pc with bitlocker!: So i read a guide from microsoft How to encrypt my pc with bitlocker! It sayd where do you want to store your replacement key i said in my Microsoft account where can i find it. i have aspected that Bilocker will ask me what password i want to choose, it doesnt! it has...
  7. Bitlocker encrypted drive and I want to do 2 partitions on my drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker encrypted drive and I want to do 2 partitions on my drive: Hi ! Can I do two partitions on my drive . It is a new laptop 5 days . so I don't know if I could do like we do with a hdd. Can I use disk management? I will show you how my drive came from factory [img] it says Bitlocker encrypted . Does it mean I can't do anything? thank...
  8. Can't get Bitlocker to encrypt C: drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't get Bitlocker to encrypt C: drive: Hi, Windows 10 1903 on a Dell XPS 8700, no TPM. Did a clean install of Win 10, can't make Bitlocker encrypt. Have done this at least twice before, once on this computer (It worked fine. I wiped hard drive, installed Linux, coming back to Win 10. Also encrypted a laptop with...
  9. Can't get Bitlocker to encrypt C: drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't get Bitlocker to encrypt C: drive: Hi, Windows 10 1903 on a Dell XPS 8700, no TPM. Did a clean install of Win 10, can't make Bitlocker encrypt. Have done this at least twice before, once on this computer (It worked fine. I wiped hard drive, installed Linux, coming back to Win 10. Also encrypted a laptop with...
  10. Partition not showing up in Bitlocker Drive Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Partition not showing up in Bitlocker Drive Encryption: Hello everyone I have a problem with bitlocker. I formatted my SSD to have 3 partions next to C: D, E and F. As soon as I started encryption on the D & E drives, the option for F went away. I suspect it has something to do with the layout and and type of the partition...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. aka.ms/myrecoverykey

2. AOMEI BACKUPPER PRO RESTORE FROM ENCRYPTED DRIVE USING BITLOCKER