Windows 10: How to perform System Restore when Windows 10 won’t boot to desktop

Discus and support How to perform System Restore when Windows 10 won’t boot to desktop in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When you encounter problems with drivers that destabilize the system or software that malfunctions, System Restore is a very useful feature in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Mar 12, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to perform System Restore when Windows 10 won’t boot to desktop

When you encounter problems with drivers that destabilize the system or software that malfunctions, System Restore is a very useful feature in Windows 10 that allows PC users to revert to an earlier point in time when the operating system was functioning properly without issues. Nonetheless, in some cases, the changes made may affect the PC badly, that Windows won’t boot. In this post, we will walk you through the steps to perform System Restore when Windows 10 won’t boot to the desktop.

How to perform System Restore when Windows 10 won’t boot to desktop System-Restore-window.png

Perform System Restore when Windows 10 won’t boot

To perform a system restore when Windows 10 won’t boot to the desktop, do the following:

How to perform System Restore when Windows 10 won’t boot to desktop windows-10-boot-7.jpg

1. Boot interrupt Windows 10 by starting your PC and as soon as you see the Windows logo; press and hold the power button to force a shutdown.
    2. Repeat this 2-4 times and Windows will open up the Advanced Startup Options menu for you.
    3. At the Advanced Startup Options screen, select Advanced Options.
    4. Select Troubleshoot.
    5. Under Advanced options screen, select System Restore.

Alternatively, if available, you can use the Windows 10 installation media to boot your PC into the Advanced Startup Options menu. Contact the PC manufacturer (or refer to the manual that came with the PC) to know how to change the boot order of the computer. You will have to change the boot device to a USB drive.

On any working PC, create a Windows 10 installation USB drive. You can also create the Windows 10 installation media on a Linux machine or Mac computer if those are what you have access to.

Having done that, proceed as follows:

How to perform System Restore when Windows 10 won’t boot to desktop repair-your-computer-windows-setup-600x444.png

• Boot the faulty PC using the Windows 10 installation media.
    • The Windows Setup dialog box will appear.
    • Set the Time and currency format, Keyboard or input method, and the language to install.
    • Click Next.
    • Click on Repair your computer from the lower-left corner.
    • From the Choose an option screen, click on Troubleshoot.
    • Click Advanced Options in the Troubleshoot screen.
    • In the Advanced Options screen, click System Restore.
    • Windows will take some time to prepare System Restore. It may even restart your computer or device.
    • When System Restore is ready, you will be prompted to choose a user account to continue.
    • Select an account that is set as administrator on your Windows 10 computer or device.
    • At the next screen, change the keyboard layout if you want and then input the password for that account.
    • Click the Continue button.

System Restore will now start.

From here onwards, the steps involved in restoring your system to a working state are the same as usual.

That’s it!

How to perform System Restore when Windows 10 won’t boot to desktop System-Restore-window.png
    This article How to perform System Restore when Windows 10 won’t boot to desktop first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Mar 12, 2021

2. System restore failed and now my computer won' t boot at all

Hi Bjørn,

To address this concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

Method 1:

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up. If this corrects the issue then add the devices back one at a time until you discover the
    piece of hardware causing the issue. Then get any updated drivers\software for the device.

Method 2:

Perform a Startup repair from Advance boot option

• Boot your computer using a Windows 10 CD/ DVD or System Repair Disc.

• Select the correct time and keyboard type.

• Click on Repair your computer in the lower left corner.

• Select Troubleshoot from the Choose an option screen.

• Click on Advanced options in the Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Repair from the Advanced Options screen.

• Next, choose the operating system.

• Windows 10 will look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Ronald San, Mar 12, 2021
  3. Cannot perform a system restore

Hi Cecil,

For us to better assist you with the issue on system restore, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting any error messages when you've performed System restore? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Mar 12, 2021
  4. How to perform System Restore when Windows 10 won’t boot to desktop

Desktop Won`t Refresh On Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. Sorry to hear that you are facing this issue with Windows 10.
    Not to worry, I am here to help you with this issue.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Have you made any changes to the system prior to this issue?
    In order to troubleshoot the issue, I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if the issue persists.

Step 1:

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in “Safe Mode”, let’s reboot the computer in safe mode with networking and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some third
    party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using.

Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

Unplug external devices connected to the computer expect
    keyboard and mouse.

From login screen, press Shift key and click on the
    Power button and click restart to enter Advanced Boot Options.

In this page select troubleshoot
    option.

And click on Advance option.

Select Startup setting from advance option.

Here you will find Restart button, just click on it.

In new windows press F5 to login with
    safe mode with networking.

If the issue does not exist, try to clean boot the system.

Step 2: Perform Clean Boot.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. Check this issue in clean boot state.

• Press Windows key + X key. And select
      Run.
    • Type msconfig in the Run box and hit Enter.
    • On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the
      Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click
      Disable all.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click
      Open Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click
      Disable.
    • Close Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click
      OK, and then restart the computer.
    For more information refer the below link.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

ThofikhAhamad, Mar 12, 2021
Thema:

How to perform System Restore when Windows 10 won’t boot to desktop

1. How to perform System Restore when Windows 10 won’t boot to desktop - Similar Threads - perform System Restore

2. My desktop won’t boot into windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My desktop won’t boot into windows 10: The desktop been stuck every time boot into windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-desktop-wont-boot-into-windows-10/09dae182-2f90-455b-a17a-e583d3ff0449
  3. My desktop won’t boot into windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My desktop won’t boot into windows 10: The desktop been stuck every time boot into windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-desktop-wont-boot-into-windows-10/09dae182-2f90-455b-a17a-e583d3ff0449
  4. My desktop won’t boot into windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 won’t boot after System Restore

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 won’t boot after System Restore: System Restore is a feature that allows you to take Windows 10 to a state where everything was working fine. But then it may so happen that when you try tried restoring, the computer just does not reboot! The system may initiate an Automatic Repair, but it keeps booting back...
  6. System restored will not boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restored will not boot: I restored a backup, now it will no boot. Tried all repair options I can find, no joy, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restored-will-not-boot/7fff9b58-55c0-4b21-91b4-b83c2d63124d
  7. How do I perform System Restore

How do I perform System Restore: Split from this thread. How do I restore my computer windows 10 to earlier date? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-perform-system-restore/712bf6f8-c461-4d30-be17-54d5f9663a69
  8. Easy Guide: How to Setup and Perform a System Restore in Windows 10

Easy Guide: How to Setup and Perform a System Restore in Windows 10: When your computer is not behaving properly, such as applications not launching, driver not working or the desktop fails to load properly, you can use the System Restore feature as a first line recovery option to fix it. In this article, we show you how to use it. Easy...
  9. Perform Windows 10 System Restore

Perform Windows 10 System Restore: Perform Windows 10 system restore using Windows Recovery Environment: 1. Shut Down the PC. 2. Press and Hold the Shift key and press the Power Button. 3. Continue holding down the Shift key as the computer restarts, until the "Choose an option" screen opens. 4....
  10. Windows 10 incorrect booting, system not restoring.

Windows 10 incorrect booting, system not restoring.: I'll try and make this as detailed, but clear as possible. OS is Windows 10 Home 64 Bit On boot up I got the error where the start menu fails to operate, and it say it will restart the computer to fix the problem. It did this 4 times. Cold reboot had same results. Went...