Windows 10: How to permanantly disable Windows Updates?

Discus and support How to permanantly disable Windows Updates? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Before someone from Microsoft tells me that it's a bad idea: No, it's not, every update has forced me to wipe my hard drive because it corrupts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by N3ther, Apr 6, 2021.

1. N3ther Win User

How to permanantly disable Windows Updates?

Before someone from Microsoft tells me that it's a bad idea: No, it's not, every update has forced me to wipe my hard drive because it corrupts *everything*, I do not care that it's "for security", I know how to use a computer. Windows is not a service, it is an operating system, just because your marketing team wants it to be a service doesn't make it one. Delaying it for 35 days is not what I want, I want to disable it permanently.

So here's the problem: on my computer, when ever Windows decides to update, it corrupts everything on the hard drive and will no longer boot. I have a similar problem on my other computer, however thankfully it only corrupts the windows installation and all the data is salvageable. I tried to go into Services and stop Windows Update, but access was denied, and when I got it to work earlier, it turned itself on after ~5 minutes and instantly logged me out of my account, making me lose a substantial amount of work. I would just go and delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download, however I'm fairly certain Windows remakes it if deleted. I also tried to change active hours, however I apparently can't be active for more than 18 hours. I would also like to know why Windows insists on uploading my system files to other computer, and why it is attempting to have 5 gigabyte downloads from other computers. This is very easily exploitable, you can just edit some system files and you'll be able to infect PCs quite quickly. In fact, I know this has happened before because I have had my PC infected this way.

:)

N3ther, Apr 6, 2021

2. Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

I agree 8 is awful! It's not for me though... I replaced a broken screen in a Win 8 laptop that was given to me and I am going to give it for free to someone that can't afford one so they can do homework at home. Yes I took it from 8 to 8.1 back on 10/09/2014. This is what I posted there...

"Great post! I found a similar one. I would like to point out that you may want to edit your OP...

1. Step 1 should read to disable AUTOMATIC updates, not disable manual updates.

2. KB2871398 should really read KB2871389

I would like to say that KB2917499 may also be needed as it was in my case. I also had to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter after installing those 2 updates. After these steps I was able to begin my 8.1 download from the Microsoft store. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I also went into the Bios and disabled "Secure Boot."

It was a helpful post. Thanks!

BlackHawk1, Apr 6, 2021
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 6, 2021
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond How to permanantly disable Windows Updates? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Apr 6, 2021
Thema:

1. How to permanantly disable Windows Updates? - Similar Threads - permanantly disable Updates

2. How to disable windows update service permanently?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable windows update service permanently?: I try to disable permanently the windows update service but it doesn't work. I have tried to disable it from the registry editor following the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Update and from services but neither of these two work. Could you...
  3. How to disable windows update service permanently?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable windows update service permanently?: I try to disable permanently the windows update service but it doesn't work. I have tried to disable it from the registry editor following the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Update and from services but neither of these two work. Could you...
  4. How to PERMANENTLY disable ALL updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to PERMANENTLY disable ALL updates?: I still can't figure out how to do that! I've already edited registry and disabled the windows 10 update service but my PC (windows 10 home, HP) still updates without my consent the night. I don't want any updates anymore, I don't care about "sEcUrITy", all I care is to not...
  5. how to disable WINDOWS UPDATE COMPLETELY and PERMANENTLY?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to disable WINDOWS UPDATE COMPLETELY and PERMANENTLY?: please can someone tell me how to completely disable windows update? cause i don't give a damn about how important the update, and for microsoft staff, tell your boss or directly bill gate, cause i bought this OS, GIVE MY RIGHT TO CHOOSE WETHER I UPDATE MY SYSTEM OR NOT!!...
  6. How to permanently disable Updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to permanently disable Updates?: I absolutely hate it. It keeps forcing me to update every now and then using huge bandwidths. I hate the fact it keeps harassing me all the time prompting me to update regularly and I can't find a way to disable it. Just stop! Leave me alone, Windows Updates. Just go away. I...
  7. How to permanently disable Windows updates?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to permanently disable Windows updates?: I am extremely dissatisfied with Windows updates and would like a way to disable them. They've crashed my computer twice now, and last night my computer updated while I slept without asking me, causing me to lose about an hour of work. Unfortunately, there does not seem to...
  8. How to permanently disable update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to permanently disable update: Windows 10 update keeps turning itself back on after I disable it . I want it permanently disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-permanently-disable-update/ad74379e-f311-4abd-8ebe-2681bdd1154d
  9. How to Disable Windows Updates Permanently?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Disable Windows Updates Permanently?: How do I PERMANENTLY disable windows 10 updates? I disabled the windows update service in March after 1709 updated and crashed my (6 month old stock) system. The only recourse I had was to reset it which resulted in a great loss of my personal files. After that fiasco I...
  10. How to PERMANENTLY disable windows updates???

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to PERMANENTLY disable windows updates???: I'm fucking sick and tired of this shit company fucking up everything. They keep making nonsense updates with shit nobody wants. I disabled windows update a long time ago from the registry thing and I though that was the end of it. Now microsoft has somehow ignored that and...