Windows 10: How to permanently disable system protection?

Discus and support How to permanently disable system protection? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I use Macrium Reflect for image backup and want to permanently disable system protection. I have used the control panel to turn off system protection... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by wags1, Dec 23, 2015.

1. wags1 Win User

How to permanently disable system protection?

I use Macrium Reflect for image backup and want to permanently disable system protection. I have used the control panel to turn off system protection several times now but have noticed that for some reason periodically it gets turned back on. I have turned it off and then did a restart and it was still off but then several days later I checked and it was back on so I'm not completely sure what is triggering it to turn back on. Is there any way to turn it off so it doesn't come back on by itself?

:)

wags1, Dec 23, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Dec 23, 2015
  3. gigsib Win User
    How to permanently disable Windows Update notifications

Thank you for that link again, Alex.

Problem: To store in Cloud on Demand, which would be ideal, I need the 1709 version of Windows. I have vsn. 1511 that can't be updated for lack of space (all unnecessary files have been removed). Viewing storage, everything is stored on C drive. I'll
    need to delve further into this.

How to just totally remove phone, music etc, empty files. Most of the apps are not removable, and some like App Connector, Phone, Phone companion, Sway, Movie, TV, Maps, X Box (I don't have an X box) Microsoft wifi (my wifi is Linksys, so do I still
    need the MSFT wifi too?) I am not sure about their vital need for the notebook to stay alive.

I have the Magic Jack VOIP and no cell. Do I need to keep the MSFT Phon and phone companion for that?

Thank you for your patience. This lack of GB is driving me bananas.

gigsib, Dec 23, 2015
  4. How to permanently disable system protection?

Run CMD as admin and enter (not sure, if it is permanent though):

schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore\SR" /Disable

TairikuOkami, Dec 23, 2015
  5. wags1 Win User
    Thanks but I think that is just the command line version of turning it off thru the menus. I will try doing it that way though and see if it makes any difference.

wags1, Dec 23, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Try deleting all Restore Points then disabling it again.
    Some installer packages create restore points automatically.

Edwin, Dec 23, 2015
  7. wags1 Win User
    Thanks but I have been deleting all restore points prior to turning it off.

wags1, Dec 23, 2015
  8. wags1 Win User

The previous post did get me thinking. Now I'm wondering if it is due to driver updates. I did notice that a driver was updated some time before I noticed that system protection was turned back on. I understand that some programs or driver installs want to create a restore point prior to install in case something goes wrong but can't they do that without turning system protection back on? I really don't want to have to worry about system protection coming back on particularly since some of these driver updates happen automatically. There should be some way to tell the system to turn off system protection and don't turn it on again until I change it manually.

wags1, Dec 23, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 23, 2015
  10. wags1 Win User
    The menus have changed in that area so that tutorial unfortunately did not help.

wags1, Dec 26, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 26, 2015
  12. wags1 Win User
    Thanks for the help, I certainly could have been looking in the wrong place but I could not find those entries in the policy editor. I'll give it another shot tomorrow and post what I find.

wags1, Dec 26, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Ok. I'll be happy to help.

Brink, Dec 26, 2015
  14. wags1 Win User
    That was user error on my part...I did look in the wrong place. Found the setting and disabled it. So now system restore is turned off and the ability to change it is grayed out in that menu. I'll give a few days to a week and see if system restore stays turned off. Thanks!

wags1, Dec 26, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Dec 26, 2015
Thema:

1. How to permanently disable system protection? - Similar Threads - permanently disable system

2. How to permanently disable global.accounts?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to permanently disable global.accounts?: Every time my game crashes, there is global.accounts in task manager! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-permanently-disable-globalaccounts/ee4ef9cf-c18a-4454-9d5e-9e3a97386bae
  3. How to permanently disable system sounds?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to permanently disable system sounds?: I've tried lowering the volume in the mixer as well as muting the audio with the icon at the bottom. The sound setting changes back to being unmuted and at full volume at random times, often without me restarting my computer at all. For instance if I put those settings as...
  4. Permanently disable the Real Time Protection to increase performance

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Permanently disable the Real Time Protection to increase performance: I am trying to permanently disable the Real Time Protection RTP - and I succeed on one Windows10 where I after reboot still have disabled the RTP. On another Windows10 I fail. After reboot the RTP is active again. I can see that the entry I made using the Regedit has...
  5. How to permanently disable Updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to permanently disable Updates?: I absolutely hate it. It keeps forcing me to update every now and then using huge bandwidths. I hate the fact it keeps harassing me all the time prompting me to update regularly and I can't find a way to disable it. Just stop! Leave me alone, Windows Updates. Just go away. I...
  6. How to permanently disable update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to permanently disable update: Windows 10 update keeps turning itself back on after I disable it . I want it permanently disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-permanently-disable-update/ad74379e-f311-4abd-8ebe-2681bdd1154d
  7. How to permanently disable internet?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to permanently disable internet?: Cliffs are in bold text. I have a computer with a backup hard drive that I use two older programs that are no longer supported, therefore they are very much exploitable if they are on the internet. So what I do is I disable the internet connection. The problem with this is...
  8. How to Disable Permanently Cortana?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Disable Permanently Cortana?: I have a Toshiba 64-bit laptop running Windows 10 Home. Some time ago, I spent DAYS getting Cortana disabled and turned off on my laptop. And now after this last update, MS in it's infinite stupidity has turned it back on. I've looked at instructions on the internet on how...
  9. How Do I Permanently Disable System Sound?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How Do I Permanently Disable System Sound?: I disable all system sounds from my PC. But after boot up the system sounds come back. How do I permanetly disable them? 101876
  10. This is How to permanently Disable Cortana

in Microsoft Office and 365
    This is How to permanently Disable Cortana: This is how to permanently disable Cortana, first start into safe mode and navigate to C:/Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy you will need to Take Ownership of the Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy folder and then delete the file SearchUI.exe. If...