Windows 10: How to permanently disable the Win 10 touchpad

Discus and support How to permanently disable the Win 10 touchpad in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Microsoft should have this turn off ability in the handicapped section. The touchpad is a terrible problem for anybody with shaky hands. To... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by derbeck, Sep 5, 2019.

1. derbeck Win User

How to permanently disable the Win 10 touchpad

Microsoft should have this turn off ability in the handicapped section. The touchpad is a terrible problem for anybody with shaky hands. To permanently turn off the touchpad in Win 10:

1. Right click on the left lower corner.

2. Select device manager.

3. Expand mice and other pointing devices.

4. Click the right mouse button to "PS/2 Compatible Mouse"

5. Choose Update driver.

6. Choose Driver from your computer (not automatically).

7. Choose Driver from list.

8. Unclick "Show compatible hardware" and more drivers appear.

9. Choose another type (for example mouse from Acer - API USB).

(ignore any incompatible message.)

10. Your touchpad will be disabled after restart of your computer.

11. Go back to 1 - 4 to get to the driver section and the touchpad.

12. Select "Disable device" .

(You must keep some driver or Win 10 will reinsert the old touchpad driver.)

:)

derbeck, Sep 5, 2019

2. Win 10 - disable touchpad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check for status.

• Right click on the Start icon and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    • Right click on the touchpad driver and select Disable.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 5, 2019
  3. rrsharpe Win User
    win 10 disable touchpad

After upgrade from win 8.1 to win 10 on HP 15-d045nr laptop, cannot disable touchpad when usb mouse is installed. MANY MANY suggestions tried with no success. Help!!

rrsharpe, Sep 5, 2019
  4. How to permanently disable the Win 10 touchpad

win 10 disable touchpad

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

You can disable the touchpad pressing the FN key + (F1 – F10) (check the laptop user manual to find the Disable/enable touchpad function key).

You can also disable the touchpad using Device manager. To do so kindly follow the below given steps and check if it works:

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    • In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    • Right click on the device and then select "Disable".

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Sep 5, 2019
Thema:

How to permanently disable the Win 10 touchpad

1. How to permanently disable the Win 10 touchpad - Similar Threads - permanently disable touchpad

2. How to permanently disable update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to permanently disable update: Windows 10 update keeps turning itself back on after I disable it . I want it permanently disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-permanently-disable-update/ad74379e-f311-4abd-8ebe-2681bdd1154d
  3. Permanently disabling Windows 10 updates... permanently.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Permanently disabling Windows 10 updates... permanently.: I would like to know how to fully disable updates for windows 10. Not partially, not some arbitrary percentage, but COMPLETELY AND PERMANENTLY! I'm tired of having these updates crammed down my throat without even having a choice in the matter. I'm fully aware that this...
  4. How to disable touchpad?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to disable touchpad?: I am trying to disable my touchpad on my hp loptop. The settings do not give me an option to disable and it is really being a problem for me when I am typing. I tried uninstalling the driver for the touchpad because that was my only option but even that doesn't work. Can...
  5. How to permanently disable internet?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to permanently disable internet?: Cliffs are in bold text. I have a computer with a backup hard drive that I use two older programs that are no longer supported, therefore they are very much exploitable if they are on the internet. So what I do is I disable the internet connection. The problem with this is...
  6. How to Disable Windows Updates Permanently?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Disable Windows Updates Permanently?: How do I PERMANENTLY disable windows 10 updates? I disabled the windows update service in March after 1709 updated and crashed my (6 month old stock) system. The only recourse I had was to reset it which resulted in a great loss of my personal files. After that fiasco I...
  7. How to Disable Touchpad

How to Disable Touchpad: Have Windows 10 and an Asus Laptop. I desperately want to disable the touchpad. I prefer a mouse. HELP!! Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/how-to-disable-touchpad/dcf895d7-6c1f-467c-8f28-14500dbf0544
  8. How to Disable Permanently Cortana?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Disable Permanently Cortana?: I have a Toshiba 64-bit laptop running Windows 10 Home. Some time ago, I spent DAYS getting Cortana disabled and turned off on my laptop. And now after this last update, MS in it's infinite stupidity has turned it back on. I've looked at instructions on the internet on how...
  9. This is How to permanently Disable Cortana

in Microsoft Office and 365
    This is How to permanently Disable Cortana: This is how to permanently disable Cortana, first start into safe mode and navigate to C:/Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy you will need to Take Ownership of the Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy folder and then delete the file SearchUI.exe. If...
  10. How to Disable ASUS Touchpad?

How to Disable ASUS Touchpad?: How can I disable the ASUS touchpad on my ASUS laptop? The latest Windows 10 upgrade restored the functionality of the touchpad, which I had disabled. I have uninstalled the touchpad driver and restarted the computer three times from Control Panel, but it still works. I...