Windows 10: How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu

Discus and support How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; UPDATE: See Edwin's method in Post #4 for IE it is much easier than mine. But for other browsers use this method. Since you cannot just drag and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SoFine409, Dec 23, 2015.

1. SoFine409 Win User

How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu

UPDATE: See Edwin's method in Post #4 for IE it is much easier than mine. But for other browsers use this method.

Since you cannot just drag and drop a shortcut to a web site into the app menu the way I do it is to create a short cut on my desktop then copy it into the start menu:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

You’ll need admin privileges to do this. Then open the start menu and put the mouse pointer on it, right click and select pin to start. If you want to do this for all users use this path:

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

You can create a folder just for there shortcuts or just let them stand on their own. Be aware that if you ever delete the folder and or the shortcut then the pinned short(s) will cease to work.

:)

SoFine409, Dec 23, 2015

2. win 10 ie11 desktop shortcuts open minimized

Ok. Pinned site shortcut (from Start menu) launches IE correctly.

.URL shortcuts (from Desktop or Start menu) causes this issue.

Will work on this.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 23, 2015
  3. win 10 ie11 desktop shortcuts open minimized

Yes. got them all. Meanwhile, you can try this:

How To: Add a Web Shortcut to the Windows 10 Start Screen

That's about adding web shortcut (.URL) to Start menu All apps, and Pinning it to Start screen.

After doing the above, check what happens when:

1. Clicking the website shortcut from All apps

2. Clicking the Pinned website shortcut from Start screen.

Do this with all instances of IE closed.

If these methods launch IE in correct window size, then it's not a problem with IE... and we might have to change our approach to solve the problem.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 23, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Why not go to it's location in the All Apps(Windows Accessories) right click on it and pin it to the start menu?

BunnyJ, Dec 23, 2015
  5. SoFine409 Win User
    Hi BunnyJ.
    I wanted a short cut to a specific web site (such as Win Ten Forums) and not just to a blank IE.
    Happy Holidays!

SoFine409, Dec 23, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 23, 2015
  7. SoFine409 Win User
    Thanks Edwin, definitly easier then my suggestion! Happy Holidays.

SoFine409, Dec 23, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.. and happy holidays!!!

BunnyJ, Dec 23, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    Yes, but your suggestion is one of the best ways for other browsers! *Wink

All the best Holiday Wishes to you as well. *Smile

Edwin, Dec 23, 2015
  10. SoFine409 Win User
    Oh, good to know at least I got part of it right! I revised my initial post to reflect the change and thanks much for the info.

SoFine409, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu - Similar Threads - Pin Shortcuts Start

2. Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior: Windows 11 with all current updatesI created a shortcut on the desktop that runs a Cygwin-X server. The shortcut target is: C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/xlaunch.exe -run /home/jim/.xlaunch/jhg.xlaunchDouble-clicking this shortcut has the intended effect, starting...
  3. Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior: Windows 11 with all current updatesI created a shortcut on the desktop that runs a Cygwin-X server. The shortcut target is: C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/xlaunch.exe -run /home/jim/.xlaunch/jhg.xlaunchDouble-clicking this shortcut has the intended effect, starting...
  4. How do I pin a custom shortcut to the Start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I pin a custom shortcut to the Start menu?: I found an article about how to do this that described this method: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3wnohc/is_there_a_way_to_pin_custom_shortcuts_to_the/ but this doesn't work. There are only a handful of folders and shortcuts in this folder, not anywhere near the...
  5. Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinned excel file shortcuts to start menu not working: When I click to open the pinned excel document shortcuts from Start menu its opening only excel app (blank) instead opening document. When I open the same shortcuts from its location ("C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"), the shortcuts...
  6. Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working: I have used the method described here https://www.thewindowsclub.com/pin-f...enu-windows-10 to add shortcuts to office docs to the start menu/tiles. The shortcuts appear immediately (no restart required) but they only open the program and not the actual document. Eg. Excel or...
  7. Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinned excel/word start menu shortcuts not working: I have used the method described here https://www.thewindowsclub.com/pin-f...enu-windows-10 to add shortcuts to office docs to the start menu/tiles. The shortcuts appear immediately (no restart required) but they only open the program and not the actual document. Eg. Excel or...
  8. Pin down shortcuts on the left side of the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pin down shortcuts on the left side of the start menu: I did an upgrade from win 7 to 10. Some glitches, but nothing I can handle. But i didn't like when u pin down a short cut on the start menu, it went to right. I want some program to pin down on the leftside, like win7. Is't possible to do that on win10? 14515
  9. How to create shortcuts for start menu?

in Browsers and Email
    How to create shortcuts for start menu?: I am at my wits end with this issue: I started to populate my start menu with shortcuts (tiles) for things like google finance, flagler live news, etc..all websites by hitting "pin to start" in the new edge browser. I have now made Opera my default browser, so now I...
  10. Pin shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin shortcuts to Start Menu: What am I missing here? I can pin exe's with a right click but trying to do this with a desktop shortcut does nothing. If it is not allowed, why does the context menu have 'Pin to start' in it? Just wondering. 8914