Windows 10: How to ping loop back address on a specific NIC card

Discus and support How to ping loop back address on a specific NIC card in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How to ping loop back address on a specific NIC card? Example below I have two NICs one Ethernet and one WiFi. I would like to test Ethernet NIC and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jackin, Dec 21, 2019.

1. jackin Win User

How to ping loop back address on a specific NIC card

How to ping loop back address on a specific NIC card?

Example below I have two NICs one Ethernet and one WiFi. I would like to test Ethernet NIC and ping 127.0.0.1 on the Ethernet NIC, how can I do that?

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ESIL47235001S63

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : stfrancis.edu

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : IntelR Ethernet Connection 7 I219-LM

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-7B-EF-A8-8C-DD

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.35.219Preferred

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : stfrancis.edu

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11n Wireless LAN Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-EF-5B-8B-21

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.99.0.43Preferred

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, December 20, 2019 11:30:35 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, December 20, 2019 5:30:35 PM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.99.0.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.246

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.54

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

:)

jackin, Dec 21, 2019

2. Multiple NIC, ping failure

Hi there,

strange issue. I have tested new (2) servers that comes with 2 NIC, running Windows Server 2016. Details as below..

#Server1

NIC1: 172.16.101.12 (vlan 101) - I dont define gateway

NIC2: 172.16.102.12 (vlan 102) - I dont define gateway

#Server2

NIC1: 172.16.101.13 (vlan 101) - I dont define gateway

NIC2: 172.16.102.13 (vlan 102) - I dont define gateway

Those NICs connected to switches and on different Vlan (as stated). Without setting the vlan on the NIC properties, the ping works well. The problem start when I set the vlan on the NIC properties. Ping to subnet 101 works perfectly but if I ping subnet
    102, I got destination unreachable.

Is this something to do at gateway? or it is something to do at vlan tagging? The switch port is in Trunk Mode. Kindly help me with this puzzle..

Halezan Hassan, Dec 21, 2019
  3. t_ski Win User
    Great White Bengal

basic troubleshooting for network:

1. open a command window and type "ipconfig /all"
    2. record the ip address of the network card and your gateway (usually 192.168.1.1)
    3. in the same command window ping the loopback address (127.0.0.1 - checks the networking ability of the system before the NIC). If this works, go to the next step.
    4. in the same command window ping the ip address of the network card (checks the networking ability of the NIC). If this works, go to the next step.
    5. in the same command window ping the gateway address (again, usually 192.168.1.1 - checks the network from the PC to the gateway). If this works, go to the next step.
    6. in the same command window ping the address 74.125.225.72 (this is an address for google.com - checks the network from the PC oout to the internet). If this works, go to the next step.
    7. in the same command window ping google.com (checks DNS).

If this stops anywhere in the process, that's where your issue lies, and you can start troubleshooting at that point.

t_ski, Dec 21, 2019
  4. Scotallan Win User

Replacment Nic Card Troubles

Got A Question> I Have A Dell Latitude Laptop Running A Dell DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card Network Adapter PCI And Want to Upgrade The NIc Card But Can't Find A Replacemnet card For Under $25;00 Dose Anyone Have Any Suggestions As To Were to find A Intel NIC Card With Blu Tooth?
    Thanks

Scotallan, Dec 21, 2019
Thema:

1. How to ping loop back address on a specific NIC card - Similar Threads - ping loop address

2. How to force file transfer traffic over a specific Nic

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to force file transfer traffic over a specific Nic: I have two identical servers, each having 2 10Gbe nics each. The first nic nic1 of each server is connected to the enterprise network via a 1Gbe Switch. The second nics nic2 are connected directly to each other. I would like all file transfers between the two servers ie....
  3. How to force file transfer traffic over a specific Nic

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to force file transfer traffic over a specific Nic: I have two identical servers, each having 2 10Gbe nics each. The first nic nic1 of each server is connected to the enterprise network via a 1Gbe Switch. The second nics nic2 are connected directly to each other. I would like all file transfers between the two servers ie....
  4. How to force file transfer traffic over a specific Nic

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Power Management Tab for Nic card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Power Management Tab for Nic card: I am trying to set up some new laptops for Wake on Lan that we just received for our school, and one of the settings is to configure Dell Precision Nic Card to wake the device up, which you should be able to do through the device manager, but the power management tab is...
  6. Multiple vlan on nic card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple vlan on nic card: Hello,I need to connect multiple vlan on a single NIC card in a pc with windows 11, how can I do it?I have a nic intel 802.1q and on windows 10 I able to configure vlan with "Intel PROSet software de Windows PowerShell" but it seems that the tool is not available for windows...
  7. Multiple vlan on nic card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple vlan on nic card: Hello,I need to connect multiple vlan on a single NIC card in a pc with windows 11, how can I do it?I have a nic intel 802.1q and on windows 10 I able to configure vlan with "Intel PROSet software de Windows PowerShell" but it seems that the tool is not available for windows...
  8. How to find a driver for chipset NIC card?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to find a driver for chipset NIC card?: Can anyone tell me how to find the newest driver for a Asus 10 Gig NIC card it is model XG-C100F. The asus websites driver is very old, i have found some post about a similar card that says it uses Aquantia but how do you confirm that? If i click into the NIC cards properties...
  9. Replacment Nic Card Troubles

Replacment Nic Card Troubles: Got A Question> I Have A Dell Latitude Laptop Running A Dell DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card Network Adapter PCI And Want to Upgrade The NIc Card But Can't Find A Replacemnet card For Under $25;00 Dose Anyone Have Any Suggestions As To Were to find A Intel NIC Card With...
  10. 'Wrong' Nic Card driver

'Wrong' Nic Card driver: Hi Guys I'm not sure what to do about this, whether to leave it as is and use the driver Windows thinks I should use or some how use the driver for the nic card I actually bought. The manufacturer appears not to have a Windows 10 driver and the one listed on their...