Windows 10: How to pipe the output of a command to the printer in Windows 10

Discus and support How to pipe the output of a command to the printer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm at the command line. I want the output of the "set" command to go directly to my printer. I tried the following: set | notepad.exe I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ewnowak, Aug 25, 2016.

1. ewnowak Win User

How to pipe the output of a command to the printer in Windows 10

I'm at the command line.
    I want the output of the "set" command to go directly to my printer. I tried the following:

set | notepad.exe

I expected the output of the set command to become input to the notepad.exe command
    which then would print it out. Instead I get a blank notepad screen.
    I know the following works:

set > filex
    notepad.exe filex

This brings up the filex contents in notepad, which I can then print out.
    I would prefer to do it with one command.

:)

ewnowak, Aug 25, 2016

2. How to change the name of a printer in Windows 10

I just tried this, but I don't have a physical printer connected, so I used PDF printer. It worked. One extra step I had to perform I didn't see mention in your instructions, is clicking the Change Properties button on the main Printer properties dialog.

So, I tried on another computer where physical printer was installed, but not attached and I got the same issue you experienced. So, it does seem like your printer needs to be connected in order for the change to be confirmed.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 25, 2016
  3. HaroldAE Win User
    How to change the name of a printer in Windows 10

For clarity, I am using Windows 10 Pro, ver 1703, OS Build 15063.674. I asked how to change the name of a printer in Windows 10. All of the listed solutions want you to go to printer properties (most want you to go through Control Panel, for Windows 10,
    it is much easier to go through Start>Settings>Devices>Printers & Properties> Select Printer>Manage>Printer Properties>General.

I can change the Label, and it accepts it under General, but if I select OK and return to the list of printers, it has not changed. If I re-inspect Printer Properties, the changed name is still there.

Currently, I am not connected to this printer by network or USB. Is it because I am not connected to this printer?

I have successfully changed another printer name that I am connected to with the same procedure.

HaroldAE, Aug 25, 2016
  4. Superfly Win User

$Content ="Some text"
    Set-Content -Path "myfile.txt" -Value $Content
    Invoke-Item "myfile.txt"

Edit: I misread the requirement... is this what you want?

#Print the file to default printer
    Get-Content -Path "myfile.txt" | Out-Printer

Superfly, Aug 25, 2016
Thema:

1. How to pipe the output of a command to the printer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - pipe output command

2. How to send Command Output to Text file

in Windows 10 News
    How to send Command Output to Text file: [IMG]Who besides me likes to keep a backup of their work? Microsoft has given an option in all their command-line utilities, Command Prompt, PowerShell, and Windows Terminal to send Command output to a text file. In this post, we will see how that’s done. How to send Command...
  3. Lost Vertical Pipe Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Vertical Pipe Key: Hello, somehow, my vertical pipe key doesn't work anymore, I live in Norway and have a nordic keyboard layout and on my keyboard it's a button of it's own, together with paragraph symbol, no shift + or alt + to use it normally. And I cannot recreate it with any combo buttons....
  4. How can I create a named pipe?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I create a named pipe?: The server process is VapourSynth running in Python -- I'll ask the VS & Python folks how to instantiate the server side.The client process is FFmpeg. I know how to instantiate that side.Apparently, using a named pipe will improve streaming performance by about 10x.I have...
  5. Printer Commands

Printer Commands: How do I get to see printer commands such as print, scan, email etc. on the screen? I have a wired HP printer and HP PC . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-commands/d362cc67-e170-45af-b1c5-ca874828e272
  6. Piping Powershell output fails

in Windows 10 Support
    Piping Powershell output fails: I'm in the Admin Powershell window. I'm trying to install azure modules on my Windows 10 Enterprise workstation, version 10.0.18362.778 The install fails and I want to capture the output so I go (at the powershell prompt): Install-Module -name -Az -Verbose -Force | Out-File...
  7. printer output

printer output: printer will print photos , some images and recipes off internet, but will not print email messages https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-output/3a7725d6-4305-48fb-bea7-bdfccef3db16
  8. Windows 10 DIR command output format changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 DIR command output format changed: Due to a recent change in windows 10 ... it seems several commands no longer recognize switches ... that is not an insurmountable problem ... BUT ... the output format of the DIR command changed the format of the output and as such ... all of my scripts that used the format...
  9. Unicode commands to cmd.exe through pipes-PSEXEC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unicode commands to cmd.exe through pipes-PSEXEC: Hi , I am trying to execute command prompt by pipe I/O,but i can't give non -ANSI commands .I know that psexec is also using same technique. Psexec remote command prompt doesn't work , if commands given is non ANSI , I get scrambled gibberish characters...
  10. Printer output in windows 10

Printer output in windows 10: I am running two desktops (windows 10), both out-putting to the same HP printer wirelessly. One sends colour prints, the other only monochrome. I have compared the printer properties and the printing preferences, they are both the same with one exception, in printing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. out-printer output is funky