Windows 10: How to Play a Sound at Shutdown in Windows 10

Discus and support How to Play a Sound at Shutdown in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, I followed your instructions 100%, but no matter which sound file I chose, I always get this one (check attachments), followed by this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Learning, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Learning Win User

How to Play a Sound at Shutdown in Windows 10

Hi there,

I followed your instructions 100%, but no matter which sound file I chose, I always get this one (check attachments), followed by this screen (check attachments). It's driving me crazy! Any thoughts, feedback?

My winver=1909

Thank you,

:)

Learning, Mar 2, 2020
  2. Rivergoat Win User

Logoff, Logon, shutdown, restart, startup sounds not playing

I'm running Threshold 2 of Win10. It seems the Startup Sound is working again. Previously, even checked it would only play intermittently on a warm boot, not a cold one. Now it seems to work all the time. There is a 3rd party app that lets you change the Startup Sound to whatever you want, without you having to go through the hack steps.

The Exit Windows sound is another matter. Even enabled via the Registry and reappearing in the Sound list, selecting a sound for that does not make it play at shutdown.

Rivergoat, Mar 2, 2020
  3. Logoff, Logon, shutdown, restart, startup sounds not playing

Do you have a link to download the threshold 2?

georgioumarios, Mar 2, 2020
  4. How to Play a Sound at Shutdown in Windows 10

Windows 10: How to get a shutdown sound (among others) to actually play

Hello All,

After several days of intensive research, including on Microsoft.com, and coming up empty I am posting here.

Up through Windows 7 one not only had a startup and shutdown sound, but it wasn't all that complicated to customize said sounds to whatever one wished. With the advent of Windows 8, not so much.

As far as I can see, Windows 8 and Windows 10 share precisely the same behaviors as far as sound schemes go. A single startup sound can be toggled On/Off through a checkbox on the Sound Dialog, Sounds tab, and there is absolutely no availability
    of the shutdown sound as Windows is shipped.

I have tried the registry adjustment to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels to make "Exit Windows" show up in the Windows sound list under the Sounds Tab, but
    resetting it to anything, even though it will allow it and will play just fine from the Test button, does not result in the sound actually playing at shutdown.

I tried using the Group Policy Editor to run a script at shutdown that was a 1-line call to powershell, powershell -c (new-object Media.SoundPlayer C:\Shutdown_Sounds\Shutdown.wav).playsync(); which does not work. Before anyone
    asks, yes, I did reset PowerShell execution policy and, yes, I did try the same thing using a .ps1 PowerShell Script rather than a .bat file. I could only get intermittent success using the .bat technique and even then, the sound played was always the old
    fashioned Windows Shutdown.wav file, not the alternative .wav file at the alternative location I specified in the script. The script, whether in PowerShell or Command Prompt Batch format always played the sound I specified.

After all of this I've come to the conclusion that there has to be a registry entry somewhere that is the "on/off" switch for playing the shutdown sound just like there appears to be one for the Windows Startup sound that gets toggled by the
    previously mentioned checkbox.

I have received a suggestion to set something up that plays the sound to be run by Task Scheduler at system shutdown, but I cannot find a system shutdown trigger (or at least anything that makes me think it's for system shutdown).

I work with blind and visually impaired individuals for whom having sounds for Windows shutdown is not just a nicety. I am at my wits end trying to help someone out to get a sound to reliably play upon Windows 10 shutdown on a machine running
    Windows 10 Home.

If anyone can tell me how to achieve this, even by complex and convoluted means, I would really appreciate it.

Brian

Bri the Tech Guy, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

How to Play a Sound at Shutdown in Windows 10

1. How to Play a Sound at Shutdown in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Play Sound Shutdown

2. windows shutdown sound

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows shutdown sound: hello I've tried the following steps in this video using Task Scheduler so when windows when shutdown would have a certain sound, but it doesn't work for some reason I don't know if the steps in the video would allow me to change the sound to a costum sound of my liking....
  3. Startup and Shutdown Sounds Won't Play Properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Startup and Shutdown Sounds Won't Play Properly: Hey all, I'm not really sure where on these forums to ask this question, but I need a bit of help. Is anyone here familiar with Winaero Tweaker? I recently discovered this utility and found that there is an option to set a custom startup sound for Windows 10 (version 1909)....
  4. Windows 10 Shutdown sound.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Shutdown sound.: Has anyone found a solution to the shutdown sound for windows 10? Tried all the various methods, registry hacks, Task scheduler. Can get the sound to play in the sounds but not on shutdown tried looking for a third-party app with a shutdown and sound effect but nothing....
  5. How to play a sound when you Shutdown, Lock or Unlock Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to play a sound when you Shutdown, Lock or Unlock Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you want to play a sound when you shut down or lock Windows 10 computer, then this article will show you how to do […] This article How to play a sound when you Shutdown, Lock or Unlock Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. regedit inserted logon, logoff, and shutdown sounds not playing.

in Windows 10 Support
    regedit inserted logon, logoff, and shutdown sounds not playing.: On my Windows 10 Home 1909 version, I am trying to skin my installation to look and almost act like Windows XP. It is almost done, as Winaero Tweaker has helped disable Aero Snap likewise. [img] The only problem I have is the regedit keys I have edited so that I am able to...
  7. Windows 10 startup and shutdown sounds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 startup and shutdown sounds: Hello. I have Windows 10. I want to change the Windows's default startup and shutdown sounds, with the old ones from Windows 95I am nostalgic, I liked them a lot. I tried to use the method to change some registry entries, replace them in Control Panelwith the .wav extension...
  8. Can't get Windows 10 to play shutdown sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't get Windows 10 to play shutdown sound: Can't get Windows 10 Home to play shutdown sound. I have tried in regedit , but still it does not work. How can I get Windows 10 Home to play shutdown sound? sorry for my bad english. 90658
  9. Logoff, Logon, shutdown, restart, startup sounds not playing

in Windows 10 Support
    Logoff, Logon, shutdown, restart, startup sounds not playing: Logoff, Logon, shutdown, restart, startup sounds not playing in Windows 10. What should I do? 11355
  10. Play Sound at Shutdown in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Play Sound at Shutdown in Windows 10: How to: Play Sound at Shutdown in Windows 10 How to Play a Sound at Shutdown in Windows 10 Starting in Windows 8, the Windows Shutdown sound event has been disabled. This leaves you unable to change or play the Windows Shutdown sound when a user selects to shut down the...