Windows 10: How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.

Discus and support How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, first post here. I use my laptop with the lid closed, connected to an external monitor. Is there a way to power up the PC while it is shut off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chahnjung, Oct 28, 2020.

1. chahnjung Win User

How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.

Hello, first post here.

I use my laptop with the lid closed, connected to an external monitor. Is there a way to power up the PC while it is shut off or in hibernation mode without opening the laptop? I have the laptop on a dock so it would be preferred to keep it closed.

I have tried googling this, and saw some answers say I can change some setting in BIOS, but I am not seeing this in my version of BIOS.

I am using a ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14, with a Corsair K57 keyboard using wireless USB dongle.
    I am having trouble uploading photos, so I have added imgur links for the images of my BIOS.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Thank you!

:)

chahnjung, Oct 28, 2020
  2. Ruz San Win User

Laptop restarts after closing the lid

Hi,

It appears that your laptop hibernates when you close its lid. This feature terminates running processes on your machine since it allows the system to use very little power. If
    Do nothing is already selected for Choose what closing the lid does
    in Power Options, let's try to make hibernation unavailable. Follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off then press Enter.
    See if this will prevent the laptop from hibernating when you close the lid.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ruz San, Oct 28, 2020
  3. Sher Amo Win User
    Waking and Powering on laptop with lid close

Hi,

Closing the lid can result in your Windows shutting down, sleeping or hibernating. You can control the behavior and decide what you want to do, once you close the lid. To assist you with your concern, we recommend that you follow these steps on how
    to configure the power option of your device if you want to keep your laptop running even with the lid closed:

• In the Search box, type powercfg.cpl and press
      Enter. This will open the Power Options applet of the Control Panel.
    • Now, in the Power Options window, click Choose what closing the lid
      does link from the left pane.

How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off. 23d6d67b-a3ef-4444-a076-00bf166b3471?upload=true.png

• Choose what you want your laptop to do, when it’s running on battery and when it’s plugged in. For instance, under Power button and lid settings section you can find ‘When I Close the Lid’ option. Adjacent to it you can find options to help you define
      power button or lid settings. Once you've selected your options, click Save
      changes button.

How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off. 3307afeb-cf65-4fdb-ab36-80e0cc60478e?upload=true.png

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

If you think this was useful, you may "Mark it as answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Sher Amo, Oct 28, 2020
  4. How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.

Laptop shuts down when lid is closed

Yesterday I clean installed windows 10 onto my laptop (Asus GL551 Series GL551JM-DH71) to hopefully fix this very problem, but it still persists and is even worse now.

When I close the lid, regardless of any advanced power settings telling it to do nothing, hibernate, sleep, etc, it will shut down. It's making it very hard to do anything on it. I've looked this up and I can see a lot of people are having similar troubles,
    but I haven't had any solutions work.

Just to emphasize, this is despite having the power settings set to make the laptop sleep when the lid closes- it will shut down.

despite being told to do nothing- it will shut down.

Any help is appreciated.

CyrusMontes De Oca, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.

1. How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off. - Similar Threads - power laptop lid

2. Laptop wakes up from Hibernate or Sleep while in a backpack with the lid closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop wakes up from Hibernate or Sleep while in a backpack with the lid closed: Airplanes can catch fire from Microsoft Hibernate or Sleep because more recently, Sleep and Hibernate are not working. You put your laptop in a backpack with LID CLOSE TO HIBERNATE or Sleep that worked before for 10+ years on old Windows versions. 20 times in recent weeks I...
  3. Laptop wakes up from Hibernate or Sleep while in a backpack with the lid closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop wakes up from Hibernate or Sleep while in a backpack with the lid closed: Airplanes can catch fire from Microsoft Hibernate or Sleep because more recently, Sleep and Hibernate are not working. You put your laptop in a backpack with LID CLOSE TO HIBERNATE or Sleep that worked before for 10+ years on old Windows versions. 20 times in recent weeks I...
  4. Laptop wakes up from Hibernate or Sleep while in a backpack with the lid closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to power up a laptop with the lid closed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to power up a laptop with the lid closed?: I have an external monitor setup with my win10 laptop and everything works fine and I want to press the laptop power button to power up and start windows with the laptop lid always closed. How do I do this? submitted by /u/cryptotentnew [link] [comments]...
  6. Laptop Shuts Off If The Lid Closes

Laptop Shuts Off If The Lid Closes: Basically, if i close my laptop's lid for around 30 minutes rough estimation, my laptop will shut down and I'll have to boot it up to get it to turn on. Is this normal? My laptop didn't used to do this. If there is anything I can do to remedy this, please let me know....
  7. How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.

How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.: Hello, first post here. I use my laptop with the lid closed, connected to an external monitor. Is there a way to power up the PC while it is shut off or in hibernation mode without opening the laptop? I have the laptop on a dock so it would be preferred to keep it closed. I...
  8. Laptop shuts down when in hibernation or closing lid

Laptop shuts down when in hibernation or closing lid: About a week ago my laptop had a change or hard drive. When I got it back, the screen went blank after being put on sleep mode, but I still could see and use the mouse. I rolled back the display driver and now it won’t project image through hdmi, and whenever I put it on...
  9. Close Lid Laptop Hibernates

Close Lid Laptop Hibernates: Hi! I have followed the Advanced Power Settings threads and chose "Do Nothing" when I close the lid. That's not working! When I close the lid, the laptop hibernates and all the monitors go to sleep - it says no power connection! Please help!...
  10. How To Shut Off Complete Power On Hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Shut Off Complete Power On Hibernate: Hello, Every time I Hibernate the computer, the external USB mini hard disk drive turns off, yet the LED flashes on & off until I bring back the computer from Hibernate. Also, I have an old school 3rd-party iPod Video dock connector that has a green LED light on it. That...