Windows 10: How to Prepare for a Clean Install of Windows 10

Discus and support How to Prepare for a Clean Install of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I. What to know in advance: 1- There is no 'one best way' to do a clean install. There are as many different approaches as there are different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BulldogXX, Oct 12, 2018.

1. BulldogXX Win User

How to Prepare for a Clean Install of Windows 10

I. What to know in advance:

1- There is no 'one best way' to do a clean install. There are as many different approaches as there are different personalities.

The internet is filled with detailed instructions for performing a clean install. When doing your research on the internet, read many different approaches and then craft one that fits your style. Look particularly for tips from peoples' real life experiences.

Some of the best advice you can get will come from people who have already installed Windows 10 on your very own model of computer. You can find them in the computer manufacturer's own community forum, or on public forums like Reddit.

2- Make sure that your hardware and software are supported on Windows 10.

'Supported' means that the hardware manufacturer or software developer has tested the hardware or software on Windows 10 to see that it will work correctly; this includes updating the device driver to keep up with all the changes to Windows 10 over time.

You can install Windows 10 on unsupported hardware or with unsupported software, but in that case it's your responsibility to find out if the hardware or software will work properly on Windows 10. With supported hardware and software, the responsibility falls on the hardware manufacturer and the software developer.

There's no point to doing a clean install if you're not certain that Windows 10 will work correctly on your computer's hardware.

3- Prepare, prepare, prepare.

By the time you're ready to start your clean install, you should know exactly what to expect. That includes knowing what the screens will look like, what questions you'll be asked, and what your answers will be. Your goal should be 'no surprises.' You want to get this right the first time.

It's worthwhile to invest time in preparing for your clean install. Don't worry - you're only going to be doing this one time. (What? I'll explain why at the end.)

4- A clean install erases your C: drive - anything you haven't backed up will be gone.

The installer doesn't physically erase your hard drive - it erases the metadata that knows how to find your files, so they are, for all intents and purposes, gone. Think of everything you wouldn't want to lose and make sure it's backed up.

II. What to prepare in advance:

1- A Windows 10 installer on a bootable USB flash drive or a DVD

It doesn't matter what version of Windows 10 is on the installer; you'll be updated to the most recent version as soon as you connect to the internet. A more recent version means your computer will need less time to be completely up to date.

2- A list of all the applications (formerly known as 'programs') that are installed on your computer

In addition to the obvious (name and developer) you should include in your list whatever information is needed to register the software. Usually, that's your name and/or email address, and the license key that you received if you bought the software, and any special steps that you may need to follow.

It's also a good idea to have a copy of the actual installers on a USB flash drive, or the original installation disks. That way you won't have to go looking for them when the time comes to install, and you'll be able to install even if you're having trouble with your internet connection (so you can't navigate to the developers website to download the installer.)

3- A list of all the device drivers that you need to install

Make sure to install drivers for Windows 10. Sometimes a hardware manufacturer hasn't written a driver for Windows 10 because the Windows 8 (or Windows 7) driver will work just as well on Windows 10. If you hear that from the hardware manufacturer, you can count on it.

As above, it's a great idea to assemble the actual installers in advance, along with any instructions you may want to have in order to install the drivers.

Only obtain drivers from the hardware manufacturer's own website.

4- A checklist of what tasks to perform after your clean install.

For example: how will you setup your user accounts? what configuration settings do you want to make? how will you setup your home network? what tests do you want to perform to make sure everything is working properly?

Thinking about these things in advance means that your computer will be setup and ready to go in the least possible amount of time, and you'll know that everything has been setup exactly as you like.

III. One bit of advice to consider: Complete your clean install before you connect to the internet.

You can perform a complete clean install without being connected to the internet. That includes your post-install checklist. There are two advantages: 1) you won't be interrupted during your work to install updates; and 2) you won't have to worry about possibly being hacked during the install.

Once you are completely done, then connect to the internet. Windows 10 will then activate and hours of updates will arrive at your computer.

IV. Post-install

Now you have a completely pristine and up-to-date computer, setup exactly as you like. After a celebratory thimble of single malt, the very next thing you should do is to make an image backup of your hard drive.

You've invested many hours to get this far, possibly many days. You don't want to have to go through this ever again - and you don't have to. Make an image backup of the way your computer is now. In future you can restore the image, which takes only minutes, and your computer will revert to exactly the way it is now. You will never have to re-install Windows or your software again.

:)

BulldogXX, Oct 12, 2018
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Oct 12, 2018
  3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Oct 12, 2018
  4. How to Prepare for a Clean Install of Windows 10

Clean Windows 10 (?PRO?) install

I have bought a legit "Windows 10 Pro" key of a key website. It is legit since i'm currently using it for over a year now. I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC and I want to do a clean install. I just can't find the windows 10 Pro download in the tool. But if i could use a windows 10 pro key with a normal windows 10 install, I'll be good to go.

JeroenBeunckens, Oct 12, 2018
Thema:

How to Prepare for a Clean Install of Windows 10

1. How to Prepare for a Clean Install of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Prepare Clean Install

2. Preparing ahead - clean Win11 install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preparing ahead - clean Win11 install: I have a legit but old install of Win10 Enterprise. The PC it's on has HW too old to qualify for a Win11 update.After the new year I plan on doing some fundamental upgrades mobo, CPU, GPU, etc. to bring the PC fully up to date, and as part of that would like to do a clean...
  3. Preparing ahead - clean Win11 install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preparing ahead - clean Win11 install: I have a legit but old install of Win10 Enterprise. The PC it's on has HW too old to qualify for a Win11 update.After the new year I plan on doing some fundamental upgrades mobo, CPU, GPU, etc. to bring the PC fully up to date, and as part of that would like to do a clean...
  4. Clean Windows 10 install interrupted now stuck on "Preparing" with error message "Windows...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Windows 10 install interrupted now stuck on "Preparing" with error message "Windows...: I started a clean Windows 10 Pro install on my Dell Vostro Laptop which then freezed at 26%. The power then went off and as such I only now see this screen as per the image. This is also stuck in a loop, which I left on for over 10 hours with no change. I can only access...
  5. Preparing my PC for a fresh, clean install...

Preparing my PC for a fresh, clean install...: After 5 years and W 7, 8.1 and 10 upgrades the time has come to refresh my Thinkpad T540p. I have read the tutorial here on the clean Windows 10 install steps and I'm comfortable with that. I have a full, mirrored Macrium Reflect disk image of the current setup and important...
  6. How to do a clean install of windows 10?

How to do a clean install of windows 10?: I would like to do clean install of Windows 10 home on my laptop asus Q525. What partition should I install Windows 10? What partitions should I keep in case I need it in the future I created a usb drive with Windows 10 UEFI boot media using Media Creation Tool. Drive 0...
  7. Clean install Win 10 problem: Windows could not prepare the computer..

Clean install Win 10 problem: Windows could not prepare the computer..: Hello! I am currently trying to clean install Windows 10 Home Single Language version 1809 64-bit in my Lenovo laptop. I have created the bootable USB with the Media Creation Tool and started the process. I booted with the USB, and followed every steps provided in the...
  8. Windows 10 "preparing automatic repair" EVEN AFTER CLEAN INSTALL

Windows 10 "preparing automatic repair" EVEN AFTER CLEAN INSTALL: I've see a lot of posts about the "preparing automatic repair" which eventually goes into diagnostics and then gives up saying it can't fix the pc. After trying many of the suggestions, I took a Windows 10 install disk, and complete deleted all partitions on my hard drive...
  9. How clean is a windows 10 clean install?

How clean is a windows 10 clean install?: I just went through two days of reading up on doing a Windows 10 "clean " reinstall from installation Media from THIS site (the reason was that after a system re-set my entire laptop was an explosion of every virus I've ever heard of. The reason for that:? AVAST, what else?...
  10. Now on Windows 10 .. and preparing for a future clean re-install

Now on Windows 10 .. and preparing for a future clean re-install: I have successfully "upgraded" ( via Window's Update) four machines to Windows 10. All good. I now want to prepare a bit , for a clean install down the road. In the past, out of habit, I always created installation media ( USB/ISO etc) and kept a paper ( and electronic...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 prepare for clean install