Windows 10: How to preserve the default Start Menu layout when customizing image?

Discus and support How to preserve the default Start Menu layout when customizing image? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed the current version of Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v1809 updated to build 17763.134) in a virtual machine with an autounattend.xml script... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ArthurDurand, Dec 17, 2018.

1. How to preserve the default Start Menu layout when customizing image?

I installed the current version of Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v1809 updated to build 17763.134) in a virtual machine with an autounattend.xml script booting into Audit Mode after first reboot to customize the image!

I then installed all the updates for Windows and Modern Apps in Audit Mode and I changed a few settings (I didn't pin/unpin any Apps to the Start Menu as I would like to preserve the Default Layout)! I used an unattend.xml during SysPrep which copies my customized settings to the Default user account (CopyProfile)! After capture, I booted into the customised image and completed OOBE and I found that the new user account has my customized settings, but some of the apps pinned to the Start Menu by default wasn't pinned anymore or was displaying a download button which opens the Tips app with the following message: "What's going on with my Apps? If apps on the Start menu don’t open while you’re setting up your PC or they display the download icon, sit tight. Most likely, the app is being installed or updated and it will be available soon"!

How can I preserve the default start menu layout during he customisation process? Keep in mind that I am using the CopyProfile option with SysPrep!

Please, I would just like the simplest solution to preserve the Windows Default Start Menu Layout during customization (Audit Mode) and SysPrep!

:)

ArthurDurand, Dec 17, 2018
  2. Darknova Win User

Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

You generally set that via the Start Menu settings (right-click start menu -> properties).

I had that issues a while ago, and it meant removing it from the Start Menu, and reinstalling my browser to get the icon back, it was very odd.

Darknova, Dec 17, 2018
  3. psyko12 Win User
    Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

Hey guys I need your help fixing the default access icon on the start menu, as far as google searches suggested default user access and all it only fixes the IE icon, but when I chose fire fox to display it's just a globe when clicked on it still displays IE's properties but doesn't start firefox instead. Help please? *Respect :respect:*Cry :cry:

BTW it was not like this before, I just wanted a clean install for my browser.

How to preserve the default Start Menu layout when customizing image? prob.jpg

psyko12, Dec 17, 2018
  4. Kem Mon Win User

How to preserve the default Start Menu layout when customizing image?

Keyboard layout switches to non-default layout/language after resume from sleep

Hi,

You can try these steps on changing your keyboard layout:

• On the
      Start
      menu, click
      Settings

• Select
      Time & language

• Click
      Region & language

• Select
      Add a language

• Under
      Languages, click the language you want as a default and click
      Set as default.

NOTE: In changing your keyboard layout, you can also try changing your computer's primary language.
    Your keyboard layout may also change in doing so. However, make sure to use the right keyboard layout for
    entering your password. You might not be able to sign in since the layout has been change.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

How to preserve the default Start Menu layout when customizing image?

1. How to preserve the default Start Menu layout when customizing image? - Similar Threads - preserve default Start

2. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  3. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  4. How can the Start Menu be customized?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can the Start Menu be customized?: I was able to determine the three folders that contain the Start Menu items here: Windows 10: why can't I customize the Start Menu . I was then able to add "Microsoft Office" to the Start Menu, but only if I put it in ...\users\username. Trying to create the Microsoft...
  5. Customizing the Start Layout file.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customizing the Start Layout file.: Hello guys, hoping for a bit of assistance. We have Windows 10 1809 build LTSC, which I am currently writing policies for. One of the policies is customizing the start layout - specifically pinning items to the task bar. I want to keep the start menu free of any live tiles,...
  6. Resetting start page menu layout to default in Win 10.

Resetting start page menu layout to default in Win 10.: Hi.....somehow I lost my original start page menu layout. I can access everything as before, but the layout is different and I have to click on more buttons etc. Is there a way I can get the original layout without doing a computer restore and having to 'customize' things...
  7. Start menu layout

Start menu layout: Is there a way to reset the start menu layout? Like when you start a new user? I'm using windows 10 version 1803. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/start-menu-layout/a51f03a8-cc0c-4d8f-82df-8c2de79651a1
  8. Customizing the Start Menu

Customizing the Start Menu: Is there a way to customize the Start Menu so I can remove the ABC letters & also place shortcuts into folders? What I mean is this: In 7, after I install a program, I can R-click the Orb & select (If I remember correctly) Properties or Open Windows Explorer. Opening Windows...
  9. How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?: Hello, I somehow managed to add shortcut to my Start menu leading nowhere and it messed up the whole thing. It closes itself nearly instantly and any interaction causes explorer.exe to crash. So is there a folder with *.lnk files, or xml with the Start menu...
  10. Cannot export custom start menu layout with build 1703

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot export custom start menu layout with build 1703: Updated to latest version of Creator's Update (15063.250), when I try to export a custom start menu layout for use on other Windows 10 workstations I get an error. Under PowerShell (admin) I run: export-startlayout -path c:\teststart.xml I get the following in return:...