Windows 10: How to preserve the order, size and position of all applications in Windows 10?

Discus and support How to preserve the order, size and position of all applications in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; One annoying feature of windows 10 that is hard to describe and I can't find a solution anywhere online is how it brings application windows to front... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Markus Antonius, Jun 21, 2021.

1. How to preserve the order, size and position of all applications in Windows 10?

One annoying feature of windows 10 that is hard to describe and I can't find a solution anywhere online is how it brings application windows to front when I don't want it to. For example, I have lots of files open across all the office programs - I am editing a word doc and I want to check something quickly in an excel sheet. I open the excel sheet, get the info I need and close it to continue editing the word doc. But in Windows 10 when I close the excel sheet it brings the most recent excel sheet into focus instead of the word doc I was working on. This is an incredibly frustrating feature t

:)

Markus Antonius, Jun 21, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Applications not opening at same location and in same size after reopening

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how frustrating it could be when the computer doesn’t work properly. However, we will need some information from you:

• Are you facing this issue with all the applications or with specific application?

You can change the size for opening of the program as Normal Window, Maximized or Minimized. Please follow the steps mentioned below to change the settings:

• Right click on the icon of the application and click on Properties.
    • Under Run select the size of the window from the drop-down list.
    • Now, click on Apply and OK.

Ideally, the applications are opened on the same position on the screen as they were closed last time. This issue may be due to a profile corruption. Hence, in order to eliminate possibilities, I would suggest you to create a new user account, and
    check if the issue persists. Follow the steps from the article
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10 to create
    a new user account.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 21, 2021
  3. MesPia Win User
    Maintaining sizes and positions of application upon startup

I have three applications that are in my startup folder: File Explorer, Outlook 2016, and Microsoft Edge Browser. Those applications are open all day long, but at night I have my power settings shutdown the computer after 5 hours. In the morning, when
    I restart the computer, those applications are restarted, but Microsoft Edge is not in the same position and its window is not the same sizes as when the computer was shut down. Both File Explorer and Outlook 2016 seem to be in the same positions and have
    the same sizes. Is there a way to tell Windows to remember the position and size of Edge, so I don't have to manually resize and reposition it every morning?

MesPia, Jun 21, 2021
  4. Dyan Rey Win User

How to preserve the order, size and position of all applications in Windows 10?

Save Window Position

Hi Shane,

Saving the window size/position when opening a message to a new window is easy. Simply follow the steps below on how to do so:

• Open a message in a new window.
    • Press and hold the Ctrl button on your keyboard and click on the
      X button at upper right corner of the window to close it.
    • When you open a message in another window, the size/position of the window should be saved.
    If you have other questions, do let us know.

Dyan Rey, Jun 21, 2021
Thema:

How to preserve the order, size and position of all applications in Windows 10?

1. How to preserve the order, size and position of all applications in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - preserve order size

2. How to reset windows size and position?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset windows size and position?: Let's say that, for example, i open the block notes and i move it on the top right angle, then i change the size of this window increasing it. Now i close it and reopen it and i'll find it in the same position with the same size.How can i reset this thing for every window on...
  3. How to reset windows size and position?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reset windows size and position?: Let's say that, for example, i open the block notes and i move it on the top right angle, then i change the size of this window increasing it. Now i close it and reopen it and i'll find it in the same position with the same size.How can i reset this thing for every window on...
  4. How to lock multiple windows positions and sizes?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to lock multiple windows positions and sizes?: Hey guys, I use 2 monitors with 'extended display' option. On each monitor I use 2 windows of equal size splitting the screen in half. I would like to lock the sizes and positions of the 2 windows on each monitor, how might I do this please?...
  5. How do I preserve my size & position settings for File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I preserve my size & position settings for File Explorer?: Currently, in Windows 11, every time I open File Explorer or any of my specific folder shortcuts the window defaults to the Maximized view. I've already tried changing the Properties / Shortcut / Run / Normal option, but the Maximized view persists. I've also played with all...
  6. How do I preserve my size & position settings for File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I preserve my size & position settings for File Explorer?: Currently, in Windows 11, every time I open File Explorer or any of my specific folder shortcuts the window defaults to the Maximized view. I've already tried changing the Properties / Shortcut / Run / Normal option, but the Maximized view persists. I've also played with all...
  7. How do I get Windows 10 to remember all my window sizes and positions?

How do I get Windows 10 to remember all my window sizes and positions?: I have a laptop hooked up to big external display. Every time the laptop goes to sleep, when I log back in all of the windows are in the upper left hand corner of the display. They have either shrunk to 1/8 th of the monitor or gone full screen. I think it has to do with the...
  8. Save any application window size and position when closing?

Save any application window size and position when closing?: I vaguely recall being able to press Shift+X on any open application window or File Explorer window in Windows 7 and when relaunched it would restore that application with the same size and position and monitor. Is there a way to do this natively in Windows 10? That...
  9. Window Size and Position

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window Size and Position: I might already have a thread about this. An application window will have a given size and position upon initial installation. I have a window which has had both changed since its initial installation. I want to restore the original values. I tried uninstalling it and...
  10. window size and position

window size and position: HOW IS IT THAT WINDOWS10 CANNOT REMEMBER THE SIZE AND POSITION OF AN OPEN WINDOW/APPLICATION AFTER IT HAS BEEN CLOSED AND THEN RE-OPENED? I've done a quick search that revealed that previous versions of Windows have had the same issue with the system failing to do the...