Windows 10: How to preserve thumbnail and icon customizations on external drives

Discus and support How to preserve thumbnail and icon customizations on external drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This issue relates only to EXTERNAL drives: Every time after I install Windows updates, all my thumbnail and icon customizations onexternal drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CGV80638, Sep 11, 2020.

1. CGV80638 Win User

How to preserve thumbnail and icon customizations on external drives

This issue relates only to EXTERNAL drives:

Every time after I install Windows updates, all my thumbnail and icon customizations onexternal drives are cleared, which is kind of annoying, because I need to reset them manually one by one. Restoring the Explorer cache folder does not make a difference, so I suppose that the thumbnail cache for external drives must be stored somewhere else, outside of this folder.

Could anybody please post a solution how to preserve/restore the cache forexternal drives?

:)

CGV80638, Sep 11, 2020
  2. JoeJY Win User

Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

I have Defender Windows 10. I tried using custom scan to select and scan external drives. The screen listing the drives comes up, but the "OK" button remains grayed out so unable to scan any of the drives listed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JoeJY, Sep 11, 2020
  3. JoeJY Win User
    Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

I tried the custom scan in Defender Windows 10. It brings up the list of drives but the "OK" button remains grayed out when I select any drive in the list, so still unable to scan external drives... Any suggestion would be appreciated.

JoeJY, Sep 11, 2020
  4. How to preserve thumbnail and icon customizations on external drives

Windows 10 showing device icons instead of thumbnails in folders

Hello,

I recently copied some of my data onto two external hard drives. Windows isn't showing thumbnails for folders on one of the drives correctly. Instead of showing me the correct thumbnails, I get a thumbnail for the device icon for one of my hard drives:

How to preserve thumbnail and icon customizations on external drives 7ea726c1-c0b0-4aab-afba-1db09fb4e544.png

These folders do not contain the image shown and are actually empty. All folders on the hard drive do this and it doesn't make a difference what type of files are inside the folder. My internal hard drive does not do this. My other external hard drive was
    doing this but then stopped. This doesn't happen if I plug the hard drive into any of my other PC's.

I have tried the following with no success:

• Running Disk Cleanup to remove thumbnails
    • Manually rebuilding the icon cache
    • Deleting all the data from the drive and copying it again
    • Performing an in-place upgrade
    How can I make these thumbnails show correctly again?

Thank you,

me15prg9926, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

How to preserve thumbnail and icon customizations on external drives

1. How to preserve thumbnail and icon customizations on external drives - Similar Threads - preserve thumbnail icon

2. External Drive thumbnails loading very slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External Drive thumbnails loading very slow: So I have an external drive connected to my main Alienware Laptop via either usb, I do a lot of photo editing and processing but I've found the biggest time waster for me is whenever I browse through my thumbnail files on any of my external drives, they take such a long time...
  3. External Drive thumbnails loading very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Drive thumbnails loading very slow: So I have an external drive connected to my main Alienware Laptop via either usb, I do a lot of photo editing and processing but I've found the biggest time waster for me is whenever I browse through my thumbnail files on any of my external drives, they take such a long time...
  4. Thumbnail support for custom folder icon?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Thumbnail support for custom folder icon?: I know how to change the icon of a folder, but the thumbnails are not showing on it. I have thumbnails enabled for everything so that's not a possible issue. Is there a way to fix it? 179936
  5. How to customize folder thumbnails to fit custom folder icons

How to customize folder thumbnails to fit custom folder icons: Hello! I have changed icons of my folders to "horizontal type". I want to ask if it's possible to "customize" folder thumbnail to fit my new horizontal icons. (example image below). (My windows version is 20H2) [img] 175981
  6. External drive icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External drive icons: I have custom photos or ico files for external drives using windows 10- how can I make the photo fill the entire border of the icon ? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-icons/55578fe2-c233-4d13-9650-5269220fa159"
  7. Sysprep and preservation of Lock Screen and Icons

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sysprep and preservation of Lock Screen and Icons: Hi, I've got an issue that I'm hoping the great Kari or someone else with much greater knowledge then myself. I'm working on sysprepping a windows 10 system intent on deploying for end users throughout the country. Here's where the problem originates, when I perform the...
  8. How to preserve the default Start Menu layout when customizing image?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to preserve the default Start Menu layout when customizing image?: I installed the current version of Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v1809 updated to build 17763.134) in a virtual machine with an autounattend.xml script booting into Audit Mode after first reboot to customize the image! I then installed all the updates for Windows and Modern Apps...
  9. Icons and thumbnails

Icons and thumbnails: Hi all, hope you can help. Ok, in Windows 7, when changing the desktop pic, you could see thumbnails of the pics you wanted to select. I have fixed this in windows 10, all well and good, BUT, I now have thumbnails of pics on my desktop that previusly were just icons. I'd...
  10. Windows 10: Permanent Custom Folder Icon on external USB Flash Drive?

Windows 10: Permanent Custom Folder Icon on external USB Flash Drive?: Hello. My question is how can I customize the folder icons on a portable drive like a flash drive? I've learned how to change the drive icon itself, but I want to change the folder icons within the drive directory so that the set icons appear in whatever PC it's connected...