Windows 10: how to prevent a new notepad window from opening when the file is open

Discus and support how to prevent a new notepad window from opening when the file is open in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This is an annoying thing to me. After I open a text file using notepad, when I double-click the text file, another notepad instance opens the file. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by flyxtop, Jun 14, 2016.

1. flyxtop Win User

how to prevent a new notepad window from opening when the file is open

This is an annoying thing to me. After I open a text file using notepad, when I double-click the text file, another notepad instance opens the file. I can edit the file at both instances making a synch problem. (Sometimes I forget that file is already open which has not been saved, and re-open it and edit and save, destroying all the changes I made in the first notepad window.) Does anybody know how to fix this behavior of notepad? I want the existing notepad to be activated when I open the file again when it's already open. Thanks!
    *Mad

:)

flyxtop, Jun 14, 2016

2. .bin files opening up in notepad

So good news and bad news, i was fiddling around with it and saw that the keys with the things that made bin files open in notepad were back but the user choice thing wasnt when i deleted them again and restarted bin files still opened in notepad. So i
    know that they open in notepad because the files a and b keep coming back but i dont know how to get rid of them.

it'sTimeLordXD, Jun 14, 2016
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    opening an old document from windows 7 to windows 10 on a new computer

When the file opened in Notepad, was it readable? If yes, then it is NOT a Word document!

Or did it open in WORDPAD, a different program from NotePad? That would suggest that Office has not been installed on the new computer.

Rohn007, Jun 14, 2016
  4. how to prevent a new notepad window from opening when the file is open

Mine opens as it should and cannot get it to do what yours is doing

hTconeM9user, Jun 14, 2016
Thema:

how to prevent a new notepad window from opening when the file is open

1. how to prevent a new notepad window from opening when the file is open - Similar Threads - prevent notepad window

2. Notepad open new tab not working when opening a .bat file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad open new tab not working when opening a .bat file: When I try to edit a bat file using notepad the notepad is open in a new window instead of a new tab and when I open the notepad app it opens two windows one with the bat file and one with my previous tabs....
  3. Notepad open new tab not working when opening a .bat file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad open new tab not working when opening a .bat file: When I try to edit a bat file using notepad the notepad is open in a new window instead of a new tab and when I open the notepad app it opens two windows one with the bat file and one with my previous tabs....
  4. How to prevent windows from Cascading on open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent windows from Cascading on open.: This is a long time problem. Anytime you open a window of the same program, it puts it cascading in front of the previous window.Here is Explorer. I open one window, then another and one more. And it opens each with a cascade.This also happens in edge and any window that is...
  5. How to prevent windows from Cascading on open.

How to prevent windows from Cascading on open.: This is a long time problem. Anytime you open a window of the same program, it puts it cascading in front of the previous window.Here is Explorer. I open one window, then another and one more. And it opens each with a cascade.This also happens in edge and any window that is...
  6. How to prevent windows from Cascading on open.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How do I prevent new instances from opening?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I prevent new instances from opening?: Hello, here is the issue:Suddenly, Windows opens a new instance of any browser when a link is clicked or when the browser icon on the taskbar is clicked. This has no relation to the internal browser settings which are set at "open link in new tab". This happens with all...
  8. How do I prevent new instances from opening?

How do I prevent new instances from opening?: Hello, here is the issue:Suddenly, Windows opens a new instance of any browser when a link is clicked or when the browser icon on the taskbar is clicked. This has no relation to the internal browser settings which are set at "open link in new tab". This happens with all...
  9. Files opening with Notepad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files opening with Notepad: i have a issue where all my .rpf files are opening with notepad. how would i get them back to normal? the icon was a white piece of paper before if its any help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-opening-with-notepad/97a85f6f-c2f4-43a6-9c92-1e4e69ddaf28
  10. Prevent WordPad from opening, or prevent RTF files from opening by policy or script

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prevent WordPad from opening, or prevent RTF files from opening by policy or script: Greetings, I am looking for a way to stop my users from being able to open WordPad or from being able to open RTF files (either would serve the same purpose). I need to roll this out to all machines preferably by GPO, but a script would work too. Anyone know of a way to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to prevent open a new instanse of notepad