Windows 10: How to prevent applications from automatically removing files.

Discus and support How to prevent applications from automatically removing files. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; version 1903 is there any way to prevent applications from deleting files within certain folders on my pc? i want the folders to still be writable,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by milkev, Aug 3, 2020.

1. milkev Win User

How to prevent applications from automatically removing files.

version 1903

is there any way to prevent applications from deleting files within certain folders on my pc? i want the folders to still be writable, but not allow anything to delete files after they have been made or moved into the folder.

my main concern for this is steam, which has deleted workshop content without warning and broken multiple save files. an issue (as far as i can tell) they do not wish to address.

:)

milkev, Aug 3, 2020
  2. ALN
    ALN Win User

How to remove folders from File History

That does not work. Even though I do the delete from the "Back up these folders" from the list, it still backs it up - and when I close out of Settings and then go back in, the folder re-appears in the list.

However, Mila's suggestion worked. Is it possible that folders in my Library cannot be removed from the "Back up these folders" list?

3. D3LL Win User
    How to prevent Windows from automatically adding regular US keyboard

These steps should probably help you. Be sure that its not set as default when trying to delete.

D3LL, Aug 3, 2020
  4. How to prevent applications from automatically removing files.

How to prevent Windows from automatically adding regular US keyboard

That worked very well. Thanks for the help!

bluntc0ncussi0n, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

How to prevent applications from automatically removing files.

1. How to prevent applications from automatically removing files. - Similar Threads - prevent applications automatically

2. how to prevent Microsoft Defender from deleting automatically?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to prevent Microsoft Defender from deleting automatically?: how to prevent Microsoft Defender from deleting automatically? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-microsoft-defender-from-deleting/3aa388b1-0dc3-460b-8f72-0a3f22b09a63
  3. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  4. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  5. How to prevent all application windows from minimizing

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to prevent all application windows from minimizing: Could someone please offer a solution to a problem with W 10. Applications with 10 windows open will all minimize at the same time, and I can't figure out what is triggering this. It's probably the mouse. However, I have to spend a lot of time getting each window back....
  6. How to prevent update previews from installing automatically

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to prevent update previews from installing automatically: I am starting a new thread for this question since no one helped me on my prior thread. Each time there is a optional update preview for .NET framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 version 20H2 it automatically installs without even notifying me that it is pending. There must...
  7. How to prevent laptop from orienting automatically?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to prevent laptop from orienting automatically?: I have a Hewlett Pavilion X360 Convertible 14M-DH1XXX and for some reason I can't seem to find a way to prevent the screen from orienting automatically. I've looked it up and for some reason I don't get the same settings as I see in the instructions I'm given. If someone...
  8. How to prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?: Hello all, I’ve been trying to tackle this issue all day and it’s starting to drive me mad. I was troubleshooting something else on my system and I realized that I have a piece of hardware that has never been installed correctly. This is the device I’m trying I’m trying to...
  9. How to prevent Windows 10 automatically encrypting files?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to prevent Windows 10 automatically encrypting files?: Windows 10 automatically encrypts any file downloaded to the desktop or any other external drive (lock icon appears). I have to right-click the file(s), go to Properties > Advanced and uncheck "encrypt contents to secure data." If I change the filename or copy the file, it...
  10. How to prevent Windows 10 from rebooting automatically?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to prevent Windows 10 from rebooting automatically?: Ever since I updated to Windows 10, I feel like all control of my computer now belongs to Microsoft rather than myself. The bottom line is that Windows 10 occasionally thinks restarting my computer is a good idea, and it doesn't matter if I have unsaved work open. It will...