Windows 10: How to prevent audio devices from blocking computer going to sleep?

Discus and support How to prevent audio devices from blocking computer going to sleep? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As per image below and question above : There's no option for me to toggle whether this device can prevent my PC from going to sleep. I also don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tententwenty, Aug 16, 2021.

1. How to prevent audio devices from blocking computer going to sleep?

As per image below and question above : There's no option for me to toggle whether this device can prevent my PC from going to sleep. I also don't understand why "HD Audio" is in use even though NOTHING is playing in the background. How can I resolve this? Lastly, what is a Legacy Kernel Caller? How do I know what "USB Audio Device" this is referring to? I'm on most updated win10 x64.

:)

tententwenty, Aug 16, 2021
  2. AndreTen Win User

PC won't sleep while playing a sound (audio driver prevent from sleep)

Go to Control panel /and search for Power options. Select Advanced and then Change when computer sleeps. Scroll down to media settings and uncheck option "prevent sleep when sharing media" ... Names could not be exact, but you'll find them.

Also, there is fine tutorial about preventing devices to wake computer or go to sleep..

How to prevent audio devices from blocking computer going to sleep? [​IMG]

AndreTen, Aug 16, 2021
  3. Audio device unrecognised after waking from sleep

From time to time I wake my laptop from sleep and find that the audio driver (Conexant Venice) is no longer loaded. The audio hardware is listed in the Device Manager as just "base system device" (or two base system devices, to be precise). Rebooting fixes the problem each time, but it takes a while. Is there a quicker way to make the audio work again than rebooting? I've tried obvious steps like running the troubleshooter and disabling and then re-enabling the devices.

ricecrispies, Aug 16, 2021
  4. spenser_l Win User

How to prevent audio devices from blocking computer going to sleep?

USB Audio Device Preventing Sleep (Windows 10)

Background

I have been having issues with my computer not entering sleep and also waking from sleep since Window 8.1. I had hoped that Windows 10 would resolve these issues, but unfortunately this is not the case. I had noticed that the problem would occur whenever my headset (Hyper X Cloud II) was plugged in, but it was not exclusively occurring when plugged in.

I recently got extremely fed up with my computer waking from sleep very consistently and decided once again to try and solve the problem.

Attempted Fixes

To start off, in Power Management:

• Disabled wake timers
    • Enabled USB selective suspend
    • Set the computer sleep time to 1 minute of inactivity to see if any changes had an effect

To identify the cause of what's keeping the computer from waking I used powercfg in an elevated command prompt:

Which returns the following:

What I had noticed with my headset was confirmed by the USB Audio Device entry under system. If I unplugged my headset, both the USB Audio Device and the Legacy Kernel Caller entries were gone upon running powercfg -requests again.

The problem still persisted after unplugging the headset. So I then ran the following command to prevent the Realtek High Definition Audio driver from preventing sleep.

This did in fact allow my computer to enter sleep. Upon plugging in my headset again, the problem came back. So naturally I executed REQUESTSOVERRIDE again for the related headset drivers:

Unfortunately this did not fix the problem. To ensure that my REQUESTSOVERRIDE command took effect I ran:

Which did show that my override requests were in effect:

After this I tried:

• Using Device Manager and ensuring every USB port was permitted to turn off devices in order to enter sleep
    • Uninstalling the Hyper X Cloud II device and reinstalling
    • Confirming the powercfg -requests entries with powercfg -energy report
    • Control Panel -> Sound -> Headset Earphone-> Advanced and unticked "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"

TL;DR

How can I prevent my USB Audio Device (in this case Hyper X Cloud II Headset) from preventing my computer to enter sleep?

I have used powercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE to remove all entries that come up in powercfg -requests and ensured in Device Manager that all USB ports are able to turn off devices to allow the computer to sleep.

spenser_l, Aug 16, 2021
Thema:

How to prevent audio devices from blocking computer going to sleep?

1. How to prevent audio devices from blocking computer going to sleep? - Similar Threads - prevent audio devices

2. Audio Driver preventing computer from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Driver preventing computer from sleep: My computer will not go into sleep mode on its own, although I can manually put it to sleep. powercfg -requests shows: [DRIVER] Creative Audigy Audio Processor WDM PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0008&SUBSYS_10241102&REV_00\7&280829bf&0&000018000A An audio stream is currently in use....
  3. Preventing a computer from going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preventing a computer from going to sleep: With everyone working remotely, I worked hard to make sure that our computers at the office never went to sleep. There used to be separate sections on the Power and Sleep settings allowing you to tell the computer to never go to sleep. Well an update must have gone out and...
  4. Prevent the hdmi from going to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Prevent the hdmi from going to sleep: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-0686no I have two monitors connected. Another DVI port and another HDMI port.I want the DVI port to go to sleep and the HDMI port to stay active when the monitor is in sleep mode.I listen to music and watch movies through the HDMI port and...
  5. app preventing windows from going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    app preventing windows from going to sleep: hi all, i use an app called ISPY to monitor cameras on my cctv dvr, now the problem is, this app is meant to be used as a server. I don't use it as such and would like to disable the ability it has to not let the PC sleep. is there a way I can disable "wake" for some app and...
  6. usb audio device prevents windows from entering sleep mode

usb audio device prevents windows from entering sleep mode: Hello, For about one month my PC nor more enter screen saver nor sleep mode. I've found that it only arrise when my USB DAC Aune X1S is connected. If i powered it off, screen saver and sleep mode are ok. Driver are UpToDate. powercfg -requests : DISPLAY :...
  7. Four external HDDs - how to prevent them from going to sleep?

Four external HDDs - how to prevent them from going to sleep?: I have four external hard disks and all of them are connected to a laptop via a USB 3.0 hub. However, looking at the Device Manager information, view by container, there are certain differences as may be seen in the images below. I'm trying to manage the power setting on...
  8. How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?

How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?: I have four external hard disks connected to my laptop either directly or through a USB hub. I have searched the issue that I'm asking about, but I have not found a definitive answer. The most common solution appears to be to use a program to write a small file to each hard...
  9. Audio driver preventing computer from sleeping

Audio driver preventing computer from sleeping: Hi there, I have an audio driver that is preventing my pc from going to sleep. When I run powercfg /requests it gives the following: DISPLAY: None. SYSTEM: [DRIVER] VIA HD Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0397&SUBSYS_1043836C&REV_1000\4&4ac9a6c&0&0001) An...
  10. How do I prevent my computer from going into a deep sleep?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I prevent my computer from going into a deep sleep?: How do I prevent my computer from going into a deep sleep after inactivity? I have hybrid sleep off. Whenever I try to wake it up, it doesn't respond to any of keys except for the power button. That leads me to thinking it's been shut down, crashed, or is in a deep sleep....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. audio stream preventing sleep