Windows 10: How to prevent downloading updates?

Discus and support How to prevent downloading updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The method in post #12 also works on my Home Edition. See: Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 - Page 49 - Windows Update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by philosopher, Sep 26, 2017.

1. How to prevent downloading updates?

Matthew Wai, Dec 22, 2017
  2. Dartman Win User

Well woke up about 3am so woke up machine and still at 1511*Smile Decided to work today and soak up some OT and machine was still where I left it and is still there now so one of the tweaks here or the other worked *Thumbs The other was a tiny GUI program that can block updates and lock the update files so Microsoft can't come in and reset it again. It's called Windows Update Blocker and my version was released the 9th so it might work too but between them so far I'm locked down again, thanks for the help.

Dartman, Dec 23, 2017
  3. magi44ken Win User
    magi44ken, Feb 27, 2018
  4. McCloud94 Win User

How to prevent downloading updates?

I'm on the Pro Version.

I've actually went to the Task Scheduler and disabled everything Windows Update related..
    Stopped and disabled the Windows Updater service..

and still, last night the PC just force-updated itself. I hate Windows.

Is there really no way to completely prevent Windows from checking for updates and doing updates ?
    It always makes things worse.

McCloud94, Feb 28, 2018
  5. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Feb 28, 2018
  6. McCloud94 Win User
    thanks! I've never come across this before..

Although I am a bit puzzled.. there's this WUMT Wrapper Script, Windows Update Mini Tool and Update Blocker.
    What's the difference ?

The Video on the Update Blocker actually just shows the Windows Update service being disabled - which I've done.

If I understand correctly, even despite completely disabling (not setting it on Manual) the service, Windows is still able to run it ?

McCloud94, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to prevent downloading updates?

1. How to prevent downloading updates? - Similar Threads - prevent downloading updates

2. How to prevent downloading Windows 11 at all?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to prevent downloading Windows 11 at all?: I have an Intel M15 laptop running Windows 10. I have absolutely no desire to "upgrade" to Windows 11, but Microsoft is now forcing Windows 11 upon me, and downloading it without my express permission.A completed Windows 11 download prompts a license dialog I can't get out...
  3. How to Prevent Windows 10 or 11 From Automatically Downloading Updates?

in Windows 10 News
    How to Prevent Windows 10 or 11 From Automatically Downloading Updates?: Most Windows users find the regular Windows 10 and 11 automatic updates frustrating. Thankfully, you can now control this and install all Windows updates as per your schedule. Read on to learn how to stop automatic updates from Windows 10 and 11. [ATTACH] Preventing Auto...
  4. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  5. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  6. Windows Preview Updates - How to prevent download & install?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Preview Updates - How to prevent download & install?: Hello Forum, I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 2004. Windows Update downloaded and installed another Preview Update, October 1, 2020-KB4576945, yesterday. I've had no luck preventing these preview updates from installing. Actually, two preview updates were presented...
  7. How to prevent downloads of Windows Updates during active hours

How to prevent downloads of Windows Updates during active hours: My laptop spontaneously and without my permission downloaded a Windows Update while I was playing an online game. Needless to say, everyone was killed. I see how to prevent restarting during the hours specified as "active", but how to prevent it from doing downloads in the...
  8. somethings prevent me to download the October update.

somethings prevent me to download the October update.: I'm an insider. Release preview. I attempted to check the update and it keeps: "Feature update to windows 10, version 1809. downloading 0%->pending install->we can't install some updates because some updates are in progress. Restart your computer may help... The update has...
  9. New creators update, how to prevent download?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New creators update, how to prevent download?: I've been informed that this update is due in the fall. It provides nothing that interests me. Can I prevent MS from installing this on my computer? Thanks....Ed Toshiba laptop, W10 Anniv. Home. 86872
  10. Prevent the automatic downloading of its updates

Prevent the automatic downloading of its updates: Hi In Windows 10 build 10130, how do I prevent the automatic downloading of its updates? Thanks Bye 7451