Windows 10: How to prevent downloading updates?

Discus and support How to prevent downloading updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; While I do know it is Microsoft's policy to automatically update Windows, I would really appreciate some control of my own PC, and I alone decide when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by philosopher, Sep 26, 2017.

1. How to prevent downloading updates?

While I do know it is Microsoft's policy to automatically update Windows, I would really appreciate some control of my own PC, and I alone decide when (and if) I want to download updates.

I also happen to have a Tronsmart mini-PC which doesn't have much computing power, and it lags a lot when downloading updates. Setting the internet connection to Metered only helps for minor updates, not major updates, and it doesn't work on Ethernet connection, only Wifi.

What I did try, and which happened to work for just about over a year, was to go to Services and set BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) and Windows Update to Disabled and I also tried in the Recovery tab of these settings, to Take No Action for all failed attempts to restart the service, and set the fail count to 0 days in these settings.

But 5 days ago it happened to re-activate itself, both BITS and Windows Update, and I haven't done anything on my PC.
    It just enables itself (Windows Update is set to Manual (Triggered) and BITS sets itself to Manual). And this problems persists and Windows insists on updating.

But I don't want updates!

What should I do to permanently disable Windows Update from ever downloading updates?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

(btw. I'm using Home edition, so I am aware I cannot use Group Policy to change the update settings either).

:)

philosopher, Sep 26, 2017

2. How to prevent child from downloading paid apps

Remove the credit card details out of the account on
    www.billing.microsoft.com

If you want to buy other apps, then you set up the credit card on time of the purchase.

Black/and/white, Sep 26, 2017
  3. phissith Win User
    How to prevent child from downloading paid apps

I have Nokia Lumia 900 and I have not update or put in my credit card info. My child was playing game and he click purchase not knowing better, got email that I will be bill for the apps direct to my phone service. What can I do?

phissith, Sep 26, 2017
  4. Barman58 Win User

How to prevent downloading updates?

Home edition is designed for non technical users so does not, by design, include update delivery controls. You can achieve some control by setting the network you use for internet access to Metered, and your active hours to the maximum allowed (and switch off outside of these hours).

You have much more control over updates in the pro and enterprise editions but even these do not have a way to permanently block updates, normally you can block a non critical (feature) update for around 12 months and critical for around 30 days (to allow testing in system critical installations)

You could upgrade to Pro but even this would not allow full blocking of updates

the only way to fully block updates is to never connect to the internet but even this may have problems eventually depending on if the end of life data for the OS is built in or set by updates

Barman58, Sep 26, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Yes it does. In Creators update it's now in the Settings, but for all other versions it can be done in the registry. See this tutorial:

Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10

6. dalchina New Member
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials
    Option 2, 3

Notify before downloading.

Or use Winaero's free tweaker to achieve the same thing.

That means you should get a prompt that there is a download pending- which is my option. Updates are enabled, but applied when I choose. And on clicking the notification, Settings opens and shows me what the updates are.

And see
    Change Active Hours for Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials
    to make sure you don't get unexpected restarts while using your PC.

There are more options with the Pro version to do with the number of days for which updates are delayed, and that has Defer Feature Updates which effectively delays build upgrades.

It is possible that MS will choose to sometimes override the Notify option from the Creator's build on.

There's no need to fiddle with services etc.

dalchina, Sep 26, 2017
  7. Superfly Win User
    Both WUS and BITS are task scheduled and will re-start their services even when disabled.

I don't normally advise people messing with the Firewall (as it's for advanced users) but I resorted to that when I was on a limited data plan and Windows gobbled my data in the background.
    Since then I still use Tinywall (which is a front-end for windows firewall - there are others but I've gotten used to this ) to limit unwanted connections (like Windows Update) and for extra security.

How to prevent downloading updates? [​IMG]

Superfly, Sep 26, 2017
  8. How to prevent downloading updates?

How exactly do you block Windows Update with Tinywall?

philosopher, Sep 26, 2017
  9. BEWARE OF TINYWALL. IT DESTROYS ALL EXISTING CONNECTIONS AFTER INSTALLATION!

And in the end it didn't even work for me!

muietinyfw, Nov 16, 2017
  10. So am I, and I have been so for years.

Automatic downloading of updates has never taken place at my end since I changed the DWORD value of Default in DefaultMediaCost from 1 to 2. And I use Task Scheduler to run a VBScript file, which will check for updates and notify me when an update is available. I do NOT have to disable the following two services:
    If I recall correctly, I have told you that it does not work on my Home Edition, which the OP is also using, so I have to keep using my VBScript.

Matthew Wai, Nov 16, 2017
  11. Dartman Win User
    I've been trying to stay at 1511 because I use WMC with my HD HomeRun Prime and anything newer kills cable card support in the hacked in version from 8.1.
    I keep disabling everything just to wake up to find I've been force upgraded to 1709 yet again and I keep rolling it back. I actually started downloading it yet again right after I tried disabling a service. I got stupid thinking they finally had figured out how to make the tuner work in the latest builds and downloaded it and now even after going back it just pops up whenever it feels like it and starts downloading and upgrading again. I'm using pro 64 1511 10586.494 which is the last version that still works, anything newer disables the cable card tuner.
    I'm hoping I finally found the settings to kill it as before I upgraded I kept getting messages trying to get me to upgrade but they could never download if I let it try, now it does so not sure if I missed a setting or some new backdoor got added with the upgrade I got rid of.

Dartman, Dec 21, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    The 'Features Update to Windows 10, version 1709' can be hidden, just like any other update.

*Arrow Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10

I'd seriously look for an alternative to keeping 1511 though, it's out of support and won't get security updates. If WMC is the sticking point, there are alternatives for that too...

How-To Geek | 5 Alternatives to Windows Media Center on Windows 8 or 10

Microsoft | Windows lifecycle fact sheet

13. Dartman Win User

Thanks, but I want control of MY windows 10, not let them arbitrarily decide I NEED this update and they are going to go into my system and change all my settings to make it happen.
    I have used hide or show updates before and it USED to work, now since the upgrade it says it disabled both newer updates yet 1709 still insists on installing over again in the middle of the night. I HAD everything locked down, disbled updates, turned recovery off then set recheck to 365 days and turned off BIT service and did the same thing and yet again this morning it turned everything back in and downloaded the damned update and installed it.
    The alternatives for WMC do not support encrypted movie channels with a cable card so as far as I know this is my only option if I want to keep using my much faster box with 10.
    I have the Silicon Dust recorder beta and I HATE the GUI on it and the recording options as far as repeats and like that are limited and it still doesn't support DRM movie channels if I decide want to record one or watch it.
    I have a decent firewall and ant virus setup so not worried about updates as long as everything works the way I want it to. IF you know of a way to get show or hide updates to actually hider and block 1709 now I'd love to hear it as now I'll probably have to block updates with my firewall seeing how they keep turning all my settings back off and doing it anyways.

Dartman, Dec 22, 2017
  14. TrustMe Win User
    TrustMe, Dec 22, 2017
  15. Dartman Win User
    Well I've tried most of the disable update tweaks and maybe this one will work so thanks. I spose it works with the pro version too and I'm trying another tweaker that claims to lock permissions so the latest 1709 can't change the settings back and auto update yet again. I'll know in the morning if it truly worked as when I get up it has updated itself again if what got bypassed yet again.
    If it doesn't work I'll try it.
    Well I did the tweak too so we'll see what happens in the morning so thanks for the help, one of these should work I'd hope.

Dartman, Dec 22, 2017
Thema:

1. How to prevent downloading updates? - Similar Threads - prevent downloading updates

2. How to prevent downloading Windows 11 at all?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to prevent downloading Windows 11 at all?: I have an Intel M15 laptop running Windows 10. I have absolutely no desire to "upgrade" to Windows 11, but Microsoft is now forcing Windows 11 upon me, and downloading it without my express permission.A completed Windows 11 download prompts a license dialog I can't get out...
  3. How to Prevent Windows 10 or 11 From Automatically Downloading Updates?

in Windows 10 News
    How to Prevent Windows 10 or 11 From Automatically Downloading Updates?: Most Windows users find the regular Windows 10 and 11 automatic updates frustrating. Thankfully, you can now control this and install all Windows updates as per your schedule. Read on to learn how to stop automatic updates from Windows 10 and 11. [ATTACH] Preventing Auto...
  4. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  5. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  6. Windows Preview Updates - How to prevent download & install?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Preview Updates - How to prevent download & install?: Hello Forum, I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 2004. Windows Update downloaded and installed another Preview Update, October 1, 2020-KB4576945, yesterday. I've had no luck preventing these preview updates from installing. Actually, two preview updates were presented...
  7. How to prevent downloads of Windows Updates during active hours

How to prevent downloads of Windows Updates during active hours: My laptop spontaneously and without my permission downloaded a Windows Update while I was playing an online game. Needless to say, everyone was killed. I see how to prevent restarting during the hours specified as "active", but how to prevent it from doing downloads in the...
  8. somethings prevent me to download the October update.

somethings prevent me to download the October update.: I'm an insider. Release preview. I attempted to check the update and it keeps: "Feature update to windows 10, version 1809. downloading 0%->pending install->we can't install some updates because some updates are in progress. Restart your computer may help... The update has...
  9. New creators update, how to prevent download?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New creators update, how to prevent download?: I've been informed that this update is due in the fall. It provides nothing that interests me. Can I prevent MS from installing this on my computer? Thanks....Ed Toshiba laptop, W10 Anniv. Home. 86872
  10. Prevent the automatic downloading of its updates

Prevent the automatic downloading of its updates: Hi In Windows 10 build 10130, how do I prevent the automatic downloading of its updates? Thanks Bye 7451