Windows 10: How to prevent mouse from waking computer even when the lid is closed

Discus and support How to prevent mouse from waking computer even when the lid is closed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, my laptop keeps turning on when the lid is closed if my mouse moves, not only is it annoying, but it totally breaks the nvidia graphics because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Owennn, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Owennn Win User

How to prevent mouse from waking computer even when the lid is closed

Hi, my laptop keeps turning on when the lid is closed if my mouse moves, not only is it annoying, but it totally breaks the nvidia graphics because after I open the lid, the display shows nothing. How to fix this?

:)

Owennn, Apr 5, 2021
  2. ScrappyD Win User

Laptop wakes while lid is closed, stays on

With my current laptop (and several other Win10 laptops I've had), I will sleep the system by closing the lid and sometimes come back to it hours later to find the system has turned back on (lid still closed). Often the system is running pretty hot and has
    remained in that state for a long time.

There are no external peripherals (so no external keyboard or mouse event is involved). From looking at wake sources, it usually appears to be that it woke checking for updates.

I've seen some online tips on how to completely prevent the laptop from waking up on its own. But that seems to me to be the wrong question. Checking for updates is fine. The real problem is: why hasn't it gone back to sleep? My power settings are configured
    to go into sleep after 30 minutes, and under normal conditions (lid open, stepping away from the system for a while) it does. But if it wakes on its own, it will not go back to sleep.

Thanks!

ScrappyD, Apr 5, 2021
  3. coffent Win User
    How to stop mouse movement from waking the computer?

Thanks lgentry. I have a Microsoft wired keyboard and a Logitech wireless mouse. Under Device Manager>Keyboards it lists two "HID Keyboard Device"s and the Microsoft keyboard. Unchecking the "Allow this device to wake the computer" for the two HID keyboards fixed the problem as you suggested. Weird that one must prevent "keyboards" from waking the computer to in fact prevent the mouse from waking it.

coffent, Apr 5, 2021
  4. ZeyuDong Win User

Wake on Lan (WOL) does not work when the lid is closed

I met problem when configuring wake on lan. After enabling wake on lan in BIOS and in network adapter settings, I was able to wake my computer from sleep. But the problem is my laptop won't wake up when the lid is closed. That is to say:

1. When I manually sleep my computer via "Start -> Power -> Sleep" button (thus the lid is not closed), I can successfully wake my computer on lan.
    2. When I closed the lid to let computer go to sleep, I can't wake up the computer.
    3. When I sleep the computer as in 1 and then close the lid, I still cannot wake my computer.
    I have tried several method, including disabling the quickstart, disabling hybrid sleep, turning off Link State Power Management, disable power saving policy in adapter settings and etc.... But they all make no effect.

The Windows version is Windows 10 1809

The Network Adapter is made by Realtek

Thanks in advance!

ZeyuDong, Apr 5, 2021
Thema:

1. How to prevent mouse from waking computer even when the lid is closed - Similar Threads - prevent mouse waking

2. Laptop does not wake from sleep using mouse and keyboard when the lid is close, but can...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop does not wake from sleep using mouse and keyboard when the lid is close, but can...: I have an IdeaPad 3 15ALC6. Also using monitor as a screen so i need to close the lid to save up some space. I already tried changing settings on the power options to "do nothing". Already tried almost everything that you can find here but nothing works. The thing is, i can...
  3. Laptop does not wake from sleep using mouse and keyboard when the lid is close, but can...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop does not wake from sleep using mouse and keyboard when the lid is close, but can...: I have an IdeaPad 3 15ALC6. Also using monitor as a screen so i need to close the lid to save up some space. I already tried changing settings on the power options to "do nothing". Already tried almost everything that you can find here but nothing works. The thing is, i can...
  4. How to disable the mouse, when the lid is closed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable the mouse, when the lid is closed?: I set my laptop to stay on, when I close the lid. However with a closed lid, I am still able to use the mouse. I can even draw something in Paint although I don't see it, which is odd.I would like to disable some input devices, when the lid is closed and no external monitor...
  5. How to disable the mouse, when the lid is closed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable the mouse, when the lid is closed?: I set my laptop to stay on, when I close the lid. However with a closed lid, I am still able to use the mouse. I can even draw something in Paint although I don't see it, which is odd.I would like to disable some input devices, when the lid is closed and no external monitor...
  6. Prevent Windows 10 from Closing Programs When Closing Laptop Lid

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prevent Windows 10 from Closing Programs When Closing Laptop Lid: Hello! Whenever my computer falls asleep, either automatically from leaving the lid open or closing the lid, all of the programs I had up close down. It looks like Microsoft is exiting out of and shutting down all programs that were open. This has been incredibly...
  7. Preventing Logitech wireless mouse from waking computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preventing Logitech wireless mouse from waking computer: Hello. I have gone into the mouse properties and unchecked "allows this device to wake computer" for both the mouse and the receiver since it was listed there. The mouse still wakes the computer. I only want to wake it with the wireless keyboard which uses a separate...
  8. How to wake Windows laptop from sleep with lid closed?

in Windows 10 News
    How to wake Windows laptop from sleep with lid closed?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Laptops are great devices; they have essentially transformed the way we use Windows. But if you are rather looking for an arrangement where you want to use your portable laptop as a desktop connected to a monitor, you are going [...] This post How to wake...
  9. How to prevent laptop from waking on lid open when hibernated?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to prevent laptop from waking on lid open when hibernated?: I have a thinkpad X230 (windows 10) and I would like to be able to open lid (when hibernated) without waking it. It is just fine to wake up by open lid when in sleep mode, but not for hibernation. I have tried: Power Options > System Settings > When i close the lid > do...
  10. BSOD when closing computer lid

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when closing computer lid: Hi, every time i close my computer lid, which is supposed to suspend the computer, it instead reboots causing bsod as i can see My computer is an asus n551jx running windows 10. I send the dump file attached thanks for helping Attachment 81023 51042