Windows 10: How to prevent screen from going black after Windows 10 upgrade

Discus and support How to prevent screen from going black after Windows 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a windows 7 computer and after upgrading my computer on Jan 13th I have been staring at a black screen with no mouse cursor. I called and spoke... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by herminaw, Feb 21, 2020.

1. herminaw Win User

How to prevent screen from going black after Windows 10 upgrade

I have a windows 7 computer and after upgrading my computer on Jan 13th I have been staring at a black screen with no mouse cursor. I called and spoke to a Microsoft tech support on Saturday 15th. The tech support person told me that its possibly a display driver issue. He advised me to download Windows 10 media on an 8 GB flashdrive, which I did. I inserted the flashdrive and powered on the computer while repeatedly pressing "ESC" key. I clicked my flashdrive under Hard drive which took me to the installation blue screen or choose repair down at bottom left corner of screen.

Tech support told me to choose "install windows 10" then to immediately pull out the flashdrive once the computer reboots. I did all that. Then the computer went through the configuration which took about an hour or less and after that I chose the country, keyboard language then I had to sign in to Microsoft and once I arrived at the desktop, there were only two large icons . seconds later the screen went black.

My case was escalated and someone through Microsoft sunday between 1-2 PM and she walked me through the same steps as the prior tech support did. then she tells me that I have to pay to have a diagnostic done on my computer. I don't see how that is fixing my computer. I already KNOW what the damn problem is. What I want to know is what is Microsft doing to fix the problem

:)

herminaw, Feb 21, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

black screen

Hi,

To assist you better regarding your concern, we would like to know more information:

• Did you get any error messages?
    • Have you tried updating the drivers?
    We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Sharath Srinivasa on this

link

You can also check the article about troubleshooting black screen problems on the link below.

windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this information helps. Please post us back if you need any further assistance.

Remon Ont, Feb 21, 2020
  3. zplugger Win User
    Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Feb 21, 2020
  4. How to prevent screen from going black after Windows 10 upgrade

Black screen after Windows 10 upgrade

Hi Sanders,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

I realize this may be frustrating. Now that you have me with you, let me take care of this.

There can be many reasons for booting to a blank screen. These screens may appear with or without the mouse pointer. The main causes observed are:

• Problems with the driver for your display adapter;
    • The video output is being sent to an unexpected port;
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Sharath Srinivasa
    (August 7, 2015) in the following thread that speaks about a possible solution for black screen:

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Feb 21, 2020
Thema:

How to prevent screen from going black after Windows 10 upgrade

1. How to prevent screen from going black after Windows 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - prevent screen going

2. Screen going black after startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen going black after startup: My screen is going black after startup but I can use my shortcuts like ctrl + shift + esc to open task manager and after it becomes black screen I just keep it idle after 10 to 20 min the screen comes again idk if the problem is with the graphics card because it's 1080p...
  3. Screen going black after startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen going black after startup: My screen is going black after startup but I can use my shortcuts like ctrl + shift + esc to open task manager and after it becomes black screen I just keep it idle after 10 to 20 min the screen comes again idk if the problem is with the graphics card because it's 1080p...
  4. Screen going black after startup

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Screen go black after reboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen go black after reboot: I have a reoccurring problem of which I cannot figure out the cause. When I reboot my PC and click on a browser Firefox, Google Chrome, Edge or open an app, they open and then freezes a few seconds--then goes black for about 10 to 13 seconds. After that I can click on...
  6. Prevent windows from upgrading

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent windows from upgrading: How can I prevent Windows from automatically upgrading. I have an older HP laptop which is currently running Windows 10 1709. And this machine works flawlessly. However, any update past 1709 i.e. 1803, 1809, 1903 or 1909 causes the machine not to work. The most common...
  7. black screen after upgrading

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    black screen after upgrading: hi i had a very old 32 bit system which was running windows 7 and working great,but the idea dawned on me to upgrade to windows 10 for the security updates so i ran the setup like so: i downloaded the media creation tool followed the instructions and pressed on the option...
  8. Can You Prevent Windows from Going Off Screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Can You Prevent Windows from Going Off Screen: Any way to force windows to not allow a window to partially go off the screen? With a large display and high resolution I have no need for a window to "overflow" off the display. 19434
  9. Black screen with cursor after upgrade from 7 ultimate to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen with cursor after upgrade from 7 ultimate to 10: I upgraded from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10. It seemed to install okay and asked me to log on and select setup preferences, which I did. I left it alone to finish setup and it went to sleep. Now I only get a black screen with an active cursor. I've tried multiple hard...
  10. Black screen and no mouse after Windows 10 upgrade, how to get past?

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen and no mouse after Windows 10 upgrade, how to get past?: Hello, I upgraded my 4th computer that was pretty old to Windows 10 today. It booted in fine after install, but it looked as if I was in a sort of safe mode, as mu graphics display driver was apparently not good. Windows told me it was going to install another graphics...