Windows 10: How to prevent Task Manager from resetting it's settings?

Discus and support How to prevent Task Manager from resetting it's settings? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So i use task manager relatively frequently, and i launch it in two different ways: 1) Running it from ctrl+alt+delete menu if some program crashed on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/iz-Moff, Oct 20, 2020.

1. How to prevent Task Manager from resetting it's settings?

So i use task manager relatively frequently, and i launch it in two different ways:

1) Running it from ctrl+alt+delete menu if some program crashed on me locking the screen.

2) I also have a link in quick launch panel which i use in any other circumstance.

Here's the problem though: every time i launch task manager in a different way than the previous time, it's settings get reset. Let's say i start it from quick launch panel, and change settings to "more details" and "always on top". Now, next time i launch tm from quick launch, these settings will persist. But if i launch it from ctrl+alt+delete screen, it will start with default settings instead. Most importantly, "always on top" option gets turned off, which means that if a program locked the screen, i will either have to navigate tm blind, or switch user or restart or something, which is what i don't want to do. Of course, it works the other way as well, if i change settings when i launch tm from ctrl+alt+delete screen, they'll reset when use quick launch link.

Does anyone know why that happens, and if there's a way to prevent tm from restting settings, or maybe change the default settings?

submitted by /u/iz-Moff
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/iz-Moff, Oct 20, 2020
  2. Alden Rey Win User

System Restore Error 0x800700AA and Task Manager

Thank you for your response. Some of the common symptoms of (0x800700aa) are unfinished installation of Windows application, virus infections, inaccruate registry entries, corrupt system files, incompatible or outdated software or hardware, unfinished uninstalling
    of some files, clashes between the automatic update error and the computer, installing of some corrupt or infectious apps or files, etc. In this case, we suggest to run a clean boot on your computer. Kindly follow the steps provided by
    Stephanie Sal on this
    link

Regarding about the Task Manager concern. Malware may prevent opening of Task Manager. So you may want to clear your computer junk files and then run a full or deep scan with your antivirus or security software or Microsoft Security Essentials. If you're
    done running those tests. We suggest to run DISM and SFC. By doing so, the task will scan for changed or misplaced files. If sfc discovers that a protected file has been overwritten or corrupted, it retrieves the correct version of the file folder, and then
    replaces the incorrect file. Kindly follow the steps below to perform the task:

Run DISM and SFC

• Open an Administrator CMD window. If you can’t find a way, use these steps:
      • Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.
      • Click File > Run New Task.
      • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges” .
      • Type CMD.
    • Type the following commands at the CMD prompt:
      • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
      • sfc /scannow
    • If neither command shows a good result, go to Reset your PC.

If none of the above options work, review the different recovery options available in Windows 10. The
    “Keep my files” option should work – Reset your PC > Option > Keep my files.

If you're unwilling to reset the PC, you can try uninstalling the antivirus software, and do an in-place reinstall.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Oct 20, 2020
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    Google Chrome Crahses and suspended in task manager

Hi GSsswuw8,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. Do you have any antivirus installed on the computer?
    2. Are you aware of making any changes to the computer or browser prior to the issue?

This issue is because of profile data corruption on google chrome or because of cookies, extensions, plugins and History. I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to resolve this issue.

Method 1: Rename Google chrome file.

Before proceeding I would suggest you end all the task related to Google Chrome from task manager.

Step 1: Rename Chrome User Data file.

1. Press Windows and
      E key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Navigate to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome.
    3. Search for User data folder. Rename this folder to UserData.old
    4. Open the chrome now and check if it is working.

Note:
    The new user data folder will be created automatically, but
    new profile will not have any of your previous data in it. To access the data back, try signing out and signing in back to the application. Or you have to manually copy the data from old profile.

Step 2: Copy the previous data to New Profile.

I would suggest you end all the task related to Google Chrome from task manager.
    Then follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows and
      E key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Navigate to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\UserData.old\Default.
    3. Open a new tab and navigate to: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default. (Make sure this is the new user data folder)
    4. Now copy the file one by one, once the copy is done. In-between Reopen Chrome browser and check if there is issue same issue.
    5. If the issue reoccurs, then the culprit is one of the file copied above.

Method 2:
    Troubleshoot on google chrome.

Note: The Uninstall and Reinstall option might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added, this will also clear the history, favorites, cookies and password. We recommend
    that you note these sites and settings before you use the Reset on chrome.

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article on
    Fix Chrome if it crashes or won't open.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Oct 20, 2020
  4. Kem Mon Win User

How to prevent Task Manager from resetting it's settings?

Site links not working in Chrome or Edge

Hi,

Have you tried resetting your browser? If not, we suggest you to do so. To reset Edge, follow these steps:

• Go to
      Browser Settings.

• Clear
      Browser Data.

• Close the browser and launch it again.

If the issue persist, follow these other steps:

• Go to
      Task Manager.

• Click on
      MicrosoftedgeCP.exe

• End the task.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

How to prevent Task Manager from resetting it's settings?

1. How to prevent Task Manager from resetting it's settings? - Similar Threads - prevent Task Manager

2. Task manager settings was resetted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager settings was resetted: I got told to reset settings on task manager to solve an issue but it made my pc boot up slower than usual and i want to get the settings back to normal the way it was as it booted up faster before i resetted from task manager...
  3. Task manager settings was resetted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task manager settings was resetted: I got told to reset settings on task manager to solve an issue but it made my pc boot up slower than usual and i want to get the settings back to normal the way it was as it booted up faster before i resetted from task manager...
  4. Task manager settings was resetted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Task Manager pings dGpu when i launch it. How can i prevent from that?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Manager pings dGpu when i launch it. How can i prevent from that?: Hi, everytime when i launch Task Manager it pinging dGpu. So dGpu fan works for nothing. It makes a noise for nothing. It pings for nothing. Completely useless but it keep pinging. I set preferred gpu for it to igpu but still same. How can i stop dGpu pinging of Task...
  6. How to Reset Task Manager to Default in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Reset Task Manager to Default in Windows 10: [ATTACH]The Windows Task Manager is a powerful tool used to provide information about the program and processes running on your computer. You might have noticed […] This article How to Reset Task Manager to Default in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  7. How to permanently set task priority to real-time in task manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to permanently set task priority to real-time in task manager: Every time I open the app it goes back to normal priority... why? And how do I fix it. submitted by /u/ninjakiller218 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fu9bqe/how_to_permanently_set_task_priority_to_realtime/
  8. Settings Suspended in Task Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings Suspended in Task Manager: In the task manager, several Processes (e.g. Settings and Cortana) are labeled "suspended" and then there's a leaf icon or something next to it. What is this? How do I stop this?...
  9. Task Manager Settings

Task Manager Settings: Time shows on Task Manager on Task Bar. Would like Date to show as well. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-manager-settings/b9ff03b5-a332-4e45-8293-6993b0cf9b7b
  10. how to reset task view to default settings?

how to reset task view to default settings?: my task view is changing to grid, how can i change it to default straight line again?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-to-reset-task-view-to-default-settings/0615e04f-f717-412c-8ac2-58172212340d